AZ Model 109 G-6/AS Fit problems

FZ6

I purchased an AZ Model BF 109G-6A/S last week and decided to make a start on it based on the glowing reviews the AZ Model BF 109s have received so far.

When I dry fitted the cockpit I found I couldn't close the fuselage halves. After chatting to a fellow modeller who had no trouble with the earlier kits I decided to try test fitting the cockpit into the fuselage halves of a G6 and it just clicked into place.

The G6/AS kit is basically the earlier G Series kit with the early fuselage cut off and new parts for the G6/AS are supplied on a new sprue so it looks to me like there are fit issues between the original kit and the newly supplied parts.

48685553532_867617dbbc_b.jpg

AZ BF109 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

48685037373_0f27234ba6_b.jpg

AZ BF109 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

I think I'm going to try thinning the fuselage halves where the cockpit tub fits before I resort to sanding the sides cockpit tub but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered the same fit problem with the G6/AS fuselage and if so what's the best way to tackle it?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Edited by FZ6
Photos restored
  • Like 1

It looks like the cockpit tub is just too wide. The easiest solution is to trim it down. Have you compared the width of the grey and tan tubs, or crossfitted them (tan tub in grey fuselage and vice versa)? Anyway, sanding the tub pieces to fit should resolve the problem with minimal loss of detail anywhere. Good luck and happy modelling! V-P

59 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Have you compared the width of the grey and tan tubs, or crossfitted them (tan tub in grey fuselage and vice versa)? Anyway, sanding the tub pieces to fit should resolve the problem with minimal loss of detail anywhere. Good luck and happy modelling! V-P

Thanks for the suggestion V-P. The tubs are actually the same parts just moulded in a different colour and the grey one fits perfectly into the sand fuselage. I'm a bit reluctant to start sanding the tub to fit as I will lose detail. I've made a start in carefully carving out plastic from around the sidewall detail and the gap is starting to close.

I'll report back how I get on.

Regards,

Mark

Maybe do a combination, where you thin the inside of the top rear fuselage so you don´t lose the detail in the upper, slanted part of rear tub, and in the front around the IP, but cut the floor and lower back portion of this part (picture shamelessly hotlinked from modelforum.cz) to fit, because there´s no details to be lost there. I´d hesitate touching those sidewalls! V-P 

14.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Mark, first of all let me apologise. It is true, that the fuselage of this type was a little bit damaged during the moulding and it caused fit problems. I was discussing it with the guys from our R & D dept and they (as they have built tens of Bf 109) gave me this advice - 

bf-109prob.jpg

Sand down all edges of the cocpit cca 0,5mm, so it will fit into fuselage with no problem. Top fuselage halves joint has to be non-problematic after this "surgery". Insert some 1mm thick styrene sheet into the places where the arrows point. This will make the correct size of the fuselage and there is no need to fill the joint between wings and fuselage.

Second way is more "brutal" but also works - bend very carefully both fuselage halves in the place of cockpit. Carefully! After this bending the interior fits OK.

Once more, sorry for the troubles. Next G-10 (Erla and Regensburg) will have the new fuselages, I hope without this problem.

Jan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice Jan,

It's a shame there is a problem with the fuselage but I really appreciate the advice on how to fix it though. I think it's great that someone from a manufacturer has taken time to respond to my question directly and provided a solution. Many thanks again.

I had already started trimming the inside of the fuselage and have managed to get the cockpit in but hadn't thought I might have to add a spacer to eliminate the wing gap. I will also need to make sure the top half of the fuselage isn't too narrow for the canopy now as well. Looking at mine now I may need some plastic in there as well.

I'll post a  few pics later. on how my fix is coming along.

Regards,

Mark

• 2 years later...

Just started a AZ Model G6/AS AZ7509 and a quick search revealed this thread, I thought I was going mad when dry fitting the fuselage when it wouldn't fit as I already made a AZ Model G2 and had no issues. Many thanks for the advice. Time for surgery!!

On 10/18/2016 at 8:44 AM, FZ6 said:

Thanks for the advice Jan,

It's a shame there is a problem with the fuselage but I really appreciate the advice on how to fix it though. I think it's great that someone from a manufacturer has taken time to respond to my question directly and provided a solution. Many thanks again.

I had already started trimming the inside of the fuselage and have managed to get the cockpit in but hadn't thought I might have to add a spacer to eliminate the wing gap. I will also need to make sure the top half of the fuselage isn't too narrow for the canopy now as well. Looking at mine now I may need some plastic in there as well.

I'll post a  few pics later. on how my fix is coming along.

Regards,

Mark

Looking forward to your update as I have one on the workbench as well.

Peter

27 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmm i just built one a couple of months ago and don't recall any major issues ?

Dennis

Not the same kit, your model was AZ's release of the DB 605A engined Gustav.;) The ones that have the flattened fuselage problem are the DB 605AS engined Bf 109G-10 (WNF/Diana), G-14(AS), G-6(AS) and G-5(AS) kits. In reality all of those are the same but have different decals. The new G-10 (Erla) also has a new fuselage sprue which has it's own quirks.

15 minutes ago, Pedro1 said:

Looking forward to your update as I have one on the workbench as well.

Peter

Not FZ6 but here's my build of the G-14/AS kit (same plastic, different decals): LINK. I followed Jan's advice and shimmed the lower fuselage as well as tweaking the nose shape.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2019 at 11:11 PM, MikeR said:

The new G-10 (Erla) also has a new fuselage sprue which has it's own quirks.

I was looking to get one or more of these new Erla G-10s, it's a release I've been really looking forward to. If you already have your hands on one would you be able to detail these quirks?

Edited by Vlad

5 hours ago, Vlad said:

I was looking to get one or more of these new Erla G-10s, it's a release I've been really looking forward to. If you already have your hands on one would you be able to detail these quirks?

Look here, some wandering about, but lots on the Erla kit https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_aircraft/az-s-bf-109g-10-erla-t10812.html

6 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Thanks! Hmm, not good news...

Nope, not really. Mine is nearly finished so should be posted in the RFI section sometime in the next few days.

My own observations are in line in what's posted in that thread. I was also disappointed with the shape of the nose underside - it doesn't seem to be "square" enough for an Erla built machine and I found the starboard side to be shallower than the port side. It also seems that AZ's curse of mould problems has struck again - either the fuselage sprue on my kit was pulled out of the mould too soon or the starboard half has a twist in it just ahead of the cockpit.

Despite Jan's best efforts it appears that success has eluded him again, sadly.

Mike.:hmmm: