Neville Duke's Spitfire Vb ER220 92 Squadron RAF

As my two AZ MkIXs approach completion, I thought that I ought to start another. This time I'll be making a mess of the new-ish KP (or AZ) Spitfire V.

You may be familiar with the boxing:

20161009_143503_zpspiwtuuwu.jpg

20161009_143507_zpsf2x0jghx.jpg

I can't decide which one to make, I quite like the USAAF one (and could use Tony O'T's build on here as a guide) but I don't think anyone has made anything that was flown by Neville Duke. Luckily, I won't have to decide until most of the painting is done.

Here are the sprues:

20161009_160029_zpsz1ko9naa.jpg

20161009_160019_zpsenu6dmxs.jpg

It's a great-looking kit on the sprues, I think it's the best second-generation Spitfire out (although I haven't got a Tamiya V). It's also got loads of spare bits (like the Aboukir filter).

Here are the decals:

20161009_160044_zps91mzwfhu.jpg

KP forgot a couple of USAAF roundels but include them on a seperate sheet.

20161009_160108_zpsnwjjmlxl.jpg

I've done the interior: 20161011_170839_zpswq1rtwv0.jpg

(Colourcoats Interior Green and a bit of Tamiya Flat Aluminium dry-brushing). The white plastic at the front of the nose is to stop the exhausts falling inside.

A bit more:

20161011_170922_zpsrrdi6mbv.jpg

20161011_170916_zps86bvwjhr.jpg

20161015_105333_zpsadf7acm6.jpg

KP include decals for the seatbelts and instrument panel on the other boxings but forgot to include them on this one (or I can't see them). I made the belts out of Tamiya tape.

I've done more since taking these photos, the wings and fuselage are together. So far, it's been a really nice kit to build. More to follow.

Thanks for looking and advice or comments are welcome. I'd particularly like suggestions as to which one I should make (the Malta one is beyond my painting skills).

Edited by Beard
to change the title of the thread.
  • Like 7

I'm on board Simon. 

:popcorn: 

What an organised set of sprues. Top marks to KP.

Your Tamiya tape belts and the whole interior look great :thumbsup2: .

Regarding the paint scheme, this is a rare case of both OOB schemes being very attractive.

I'm not copping out, but they're both attractive for different reasons.

Erm, get another and do both :D ?

All the best

TonyT

10 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm on board Simon. 

:popcorn: 

Welcome aboard Tony.

10 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Your Tamiya tape belts and the whole interior look great :thumbsup2: .

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Regarding the paint scheme, this is a rare case of both OOB schemes being very attractive.

I'm not copping out, but they're both attractive for different reasons.

Erm, get another and do both :D ?

The USAAF one is more colourful but has the overpainted RAF roundels (that's something I know I can do but am too lazy). I have got three others in the stash but might use one of my AZ MkV Joypacks to do the one I'm not doing (if that makes sense).

That makes sense Simon. The Malta based aircraft really is something out of the ordinary. 

The thinned blue top coat looks a real challenge, but also would be something unique for display :thumbsup2: .

The tropical filters on both give them that really 'mean' look.

A nice pair. Side by side, very good.

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1

Nice kit, nice selection of schemes, you're off to good start with it.

I'd pick the Malta scheme personally but not sure why you feel the painting beyond your skills; Why not go with the recommended 87 and 141 grey alternatives then dry-brush and spot paint the Mid Stone and Dark Earth on to simulate weathering wear and chipping.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice kit, nice selection of schemes, you're off to good start with it.

I'd pick the Malta scheme personally but not sure why you feel the painting beyond your skills; Why not go with the recommended 87 and 141 grey alternatives then dry-brush and spot paint the Mid Stone and Dark Earth on to simulate weathering wear and chipping.

Thanks Col.

I hadn't noticed the alternative paint suggestions on the Malta scheme but I'm a little dubious about it anyway plus, I've painted the spinner red... 😀

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beard said:

Thanks Col.

I hadn't noticed the alternative paint suggestions on the Malta scheme but I'm a little dubious about it anyway plus, I've painted the spinner red... 😀

Ah, Neville Duke's machine then perhaps?

Tempted to get an aftermarket decal sheet for the Airfix 48th scale Vb in my stash and have a crack at EP706 myself so the paint suggestions may not be wasted ;) Dare say more research will throw out a load of alternative theories though... The Vokes filter does make the Spitfire look meaner somehow doesn't it :boxing:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beard said:

I made the belts out of Tamiya tape

Wow, they're great Simon, as is the rest of the interior. Pouty mouthed Spitfire? I'm in :popcorn:

Looking good so far Simon,.....it is an excellent kit and I`m sure you`ll enjoy it.

Re the undercarriage,.....the legs and inside of the doors were usually painted in the underside colour on tropicalised Spits.

Cheers

Tony 

On 16/10/2016 at 5:14 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

That makes sense Simon. The Malta based aircraft really is something out of the ordinary. 

The thinned blue top coat looks a real challenge, but also would be something unique for display :thumbsup2: .

The tropical filters on both give them that really 'mean' look.

A nice pair. Side by side, very good.

ATB

TonyT

I think that applying thinned paint by brush might need some practise.

Looking meaner but slower... the Vokes filter had quite an affect on performance.

21 hours ago, Col. said:

Ah, Neville Duke's machine then perhaps?

Tempted to get an aftermarket decal sheet for the Airfix 48th scale Vb in my stash and have a crack at EP706 myself so the paint suggestions may not be wasted ;) Dare say more research will throw out a load of alternative theories though... The Vokes filter does make the Spitfire look meaner somehow doesn't it :boxing:

I don't need to decide just yet but I'm leaning towards a plane that Neill Duke flew.

18 hours ago, rob85 said:

Nice start and nice kit Simon, and great choice.... As I have said before I am sure, my default tends to be Malta but Neville Duke can't not be represented in the MTO GB!

Rob 

Thanks Rob. Two votes for Neville Duke so far.

18 hours ago, CedB said:

Wow, they're great Simon, as is the rest of the interior. Pouty mouthed Spitfire? I'm in :popcorn:

Thanks Ced.

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looking good so far Simon,.....it is an excellent kit and I`m sure you`ll enjoy it.

Re the undercarriage,.....the legs and inside of the doors were usually painted in the underside colour on tropicalised Spits.

Cheers

Tony 

Thanks Tony. I'll re-paint them.

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Ah there you are! I heard you were building a Vb B)

I'd go with Neville Duke's aircraft, I was pretty sorely tempted by it myself...

Great start so far mate :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. That's three votes for Neville Duke.

Edit: One of Neville Duke's Spitfires it is.

Edited by Beard
To add text.
  • Like 6

Decals are on, I'll post some photographs later. Next step is the wheels, should they have covers on them? The only photo, I can find is this one:

Supermarine Spitfire V (Image Ref: A01584P)

I can't see if the wheels have hub covers, or not. What does the BM hive mind think?

12 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

:wow: you finished a fair few on Saturday!

I hope the recording went as well as the models :) 

ATB

TonyT

Thanks Tony. The recording went well, one more song to record drums on then mixing!

• Like 1