1/144 Ilyushin IL-14 - more Amodel!

Jpthedog

OK a month to go on this GB so I will have a go at another model, seeing as the TU-104 is complete, bar a few aerials etc! I like the Amodel Russian subjects and they build into a decent representation of the real thing in my opinion.

Here goes - quick pics so I can get cracking later today.

cb8ef0a9-91bf-41d7-a057-c9451644d267_zps

IMG_2076_zpsdgkjgqiw.jpg

IMG_2077_zpslrdz6xrk.jpg

IMG_2078_zps7xlxvhmg.jpg

Usual wobbly panel lines but its a simple looking kit and I think it will build quickly. Might use the Aeroflot kit decals, but not sure how good they are - anyone got any experience here?

Windows I hope to fill with the Humbrol stuff if they are not too big - will do a test later. I have the Amodel Il-12 so I may build that alongside in a production line style! Again decals look questionable but what are the aftermarket options?

• Like 2

Brief update. Wings now assembled and looking at the engines. 

IMG_2304_zpsctwhqfea.jpg

Now this is supposed to represent the engine exhausts.....

IMG_2305_zpsdeavpegk.jpg

Check the real thing:

Il-14_35.JPG?ver=0

So we will need to do a wee bit of scratchbuilding here

Fuselages sides prepared before they are glued together - lead weights superglued in as it will be a tail-sitter for sure! I also filled the nose with filler as I want to drill out later for the landing lights in the nose.

IMG_2307_zpsrzgndcgh.jpg

The scoop below the engine requires some sort of grille - so another wee improvement required.

IMG_2310_zpsxzhulzua.jpg

Overall the kit is a fine shape but the small parts are often just a hint of what the real thing looks like, being probably due to the production limits of short run kits. Enjoying it so far tho!

• Like 5

Small update - cockpit glazing glued in place, filling, sanding continues, engine cowlings on and exhausts finished with brass tube of different sizes!

IMG_2319_zpsscbjh79i.jpg

IMG_2318_zps6ym6qgrt.jpg

Looking like an Il-14!

F-RSIN Malev decals arrived so I could use these, but the windows are decals and I had anticipated filling mine with clear glaze.....

Oh and hope I have enough lead weight in the front end!

• Like 3