Bedford QL Aircraft Refueller

paul_c

This is a build I've been wanting to do for a while now, a cross kitting of the QL bowser from the old Airfix refuelling set and the much more detailed QLD from their excellent QL twin pack.

Basically, the bowser body from the refueller has been mated to the cab and chassis from the QLD along with some details scratch built from card and brass fret.

Just like the original Airfix refueller, this represents the later, post war truck.

Now..... what to do with the QLT....???

WP_20161014_08_35_52_Pro_zps4tcsefqn.jpg

WP_20161014_08_35_37_Pro_zpsudcj6ych.jpg

WP_20161014_08_35_19_Pro_zps1ezjdxye.jpg

WP_20161014_08_34_56_Pro_zpsqi9qwbhk.jpg

WP_20161014_08_36_31_Pro_zpsz9tdsjcs.jpg

Edited by paul_c
  • Like 7

I love the paint job.

At least most people know now that this was another post-war vehicle despite the fact that Airfix sell it as a wartime, even Battle of Britain period vehicle.

I'm liking the little extras such as the steps and funnel holders.

You have done a great job combining the two kits.

(I combined the QL booms  with the AEC Matador to produce a late wartime version).

The QL-T was used late in the war as aircrew transport on airfields and the only mod was to cover the top hole in the rear tilt plus remove the spare wheel from under the body as Standing Orders issued stated that spare were to be left with the MT Section

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

You shouldn't have any difficulty finding something to do with the QLT, my research has revealed at least 36 different military body variants' for the QL, over a third based on the 16ft chassis, if you don't fancy any it quite easy to convert the 16ft back to a 13ft if your prepared to scratch build a new tank and spare wheel frame. If you look up my QL Giraffe conversion that was built off a 16ft chassis with scratch frame and tank

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The QL really was a jack of all trades wasn't it? Although, I have to say I am struggling to find an interesting 16' truck to model though. All I can seem to find are the QLT and the Commander's Caravan and neither are really to my tastes. I am tempted to cross the cab and shortened running gear with the IBG QL Fire Tender body though and add a modified Oxford Diecast Climax pump trailer for it to tow......

Edited by paul_c

22 minutes ago, paul_c said:

Thanks guys. The QL really was a jack of all trades wasn't it? Although, I have to say I am struggling to find an interesting 16' truck to model though. All I can seem to find are the QLT and the Commander's Caravan and neither are really to my tastes. I am tempted to cross the cab and shortened running gear with the IBG QL Fire Tender body though and add a modified Oxford Diecast Climax pump trailer for it to tow......

I've looked through my list and most of the 16ft chassis are either TEV or house bodies, all except the 'Machy' truck, I'm about a third way through building one, photos are hard to come by as only 2 or 3 made, and rumour of 1 gantry truck in Africa/Italy, it's why I practice scratch building 16fts back to 13ft, far more variants' in this chassis length, also be aware the wheelbase is the same length, it's just the chassis that are different lengths

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...