Airfix 1/72 Blohm & Voss Bv 141 Recce Bomber

After many years of trying to dig up this particular kit I was lucky at a fleamarket a couple of weeks ago. I found it together wither with an old Airfix Ju 52 and He 177.

The built was pretty easy except for masking the canopy, which I botched in some places and the fact I couldn't get all the crew members in. I guess I glued the flight deck in too high, so the dudes bonked their heads on the canopy. Anyways so it now only has the rear gunner preparing his MG while the pilots seat is still vacant and got some seatbelts made of tape. Hope you enjoy this Airfix veteran!

dsc04065.jpg

dsc04066.jpg

dsc04068.jpg

dsc04069.jpg

dsc04071.jpg

• Like 21

Thanks for the feedback!

23 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Very nice model, well done. I managed to pick one of these kits up from a dodgy model shop chain that was closing down for only £2 a couple of years ago.

That's a decent price. I see those kits on the bay being offered for quite high prices. Is it still in production from Airfix or no?

48 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

IIRC the crew not fitting is a known design flaw. You have to chop their legs off or something. Nice build.

Good to know, it was not me being a derp!:lol: I really like crew figure for planes and had them already painted but it looks like they will be reassigned to another unit, flying Ju 288!

Edited by Cheezburger
spelling

3 hours ago, Cheezburger said:

Thanks for the feedback!

That's a decent price. I see those kits on the bay being offered for quite high prices. Is it still in production from Airfix or no?

Like somebody has said last boxed in 2012, I wouldn't have thought it would be boxed again by Airfix either.

Interesting that Airfix chose this aircraft for the basis of a kit considering only a few were made.

Well done on what is now an Airfix veteran.  I built this many years ago and was enthralled by the kit, real Luftwaffe exotica !  Quite an adventurous kit I thought by Airfix all those years ago :goodjob:

BillyD

A very nice finish on one of my personal favourites.

I like the box version you have, visible in the photographs.

The artwork on those boxes; almost like a 'golden age' of Airfix.

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old thumper said:

Like somebody has said last boxed in 2012, I wouldn't have thought it would be boxed again by Airfix either.

Interesting that Airfix chose this aircraft for the basis of a kit considering only a few were made.

There's a Special Hobby 1/72 Bv 141 on the way apparently, its on TBA at Hannants but no idea when.

Edited by TallBlondJohn

27 minutes ago, Darby said:

These old Airfix turn out well don't they?

They really do. I have some more waiting in line and a Blenheim IV on the bench. One can see that these were very good kits at their time, especially if you compare them to some Revell kits of the same vintage.

Although I've notice with the Blenheim, the plastic is more brittle, and especially small parts break more easily. This was a Made in France one. Is that a known problem?

2 minutes ago, Cheezburger said:

They really do. I have some more waiting in line and a Blenheim IV on the bench. One can see that these were very good kits at their time, especially if you compare them to some Revell kits of the same vintage.

Although I've notice with the Blenheim, the plastic is more brittle, and especially small parts break more easily. This was a Made in France one. Is that a known problem?

Can't remember how the plastic was but if you have an old Blenheim it will look good in the FFAF scheme. The only area I had issues with was around the side windows on the canopy.

3 minutes ago, Darby said:

Can't remember how the plastic was but if you have an old Blenheim it will look good in the FFAF scheme. The only area I had issues with was around the side windows on the canopy.

I also decided to do the FFAF scheme since it has these colourful decals. The planeis already done with canopy masked for painting. Unfortunately my airbrush compressor's ball bearing broke and I am waiting for replacement. So no painting at the moment:pipe: