1/72 Airfix Curtiss P-40b Tomahawk 112 Sqn

Thanks very much Rob :) 

I applied three thinned coats of Dark Earth over the Mid Stone for the disruptive pattern:

DSCN5668.jpg

I'm not 100% convinced by Kits At War's interpretation of the camo pattern; I know there was an 'A' and a 'B' scheme for the RAF P-40B's but it doesn't seem to fit either of them really - however, assuming they have done more research than I did (which is highly likely as I spent about 10 minutes looking at pictures on the interwebs in the course of which I found no pictures of the aircraft in question) I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Next will be a coat or two of Klear, then I can start on the transfers...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Thanks very much gents :cheers: 

The Kits-World transfers are, I think, the most beautifully printed I have ever seen; the resolution is incredible:

DSCN5672.jpg

... but I am a little annoyed that given the price of the set I am expected to provide my own roundels and fin-flashes :huh:

I applied a coat or two of Klear, then the transfers:

DSCN5692.jpg

I can't remember how difficult it was to apply the sharkmouth using the Airfix transfers - it was a long time ago and I am probably repressing some trauma - but it wasn't at all easy to apply these ones either.

After a couple of applications of Mr Mark Softer decal setting solution, a coat of Xtracolour Matt Coat:

DSCN5694.jpg

... so just the tailwheel to add, a bit of detail painting and some exhaust staining and we'll be done.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Good job on the transfers Stew, especially the shaaar... sharrr... no, it's no good, I still can't say it... the teeth on the front. The Airfix ones don't fit properly and most people get a gap so I hope these are better and you're not suffering any more trauma :) 

Looking very smart.

• Like 3

Thanks chaps :D

I added the last remaining bits and bobs, removed the canopy masking, made a couple of little navigation lights (from little blobs of Micro Kristal Klear built up into little teardrop shapes on the upper and lower wings then tinted once dry with Tamiya Clear Green and Clear Red)... added the r/t aerial from Infini Fine White Lycra Rigging Thread... and did a little exhaust staining... 

... and I'm calling this one done now :) and I'm quite pleased with it.

DSCN5698.jpg

More pics in the gallery here. Thanks as always to all who took part, and to our Group Build Hosts and Mods :cheers: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

Wow that is another stunner Stew,......that Xtracolor matt varnish looks fabulous and really tones down the paintwork beautifully,.......one very impressive little Tomahawk indeed!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

She looks beautiful mate, very nice work! And the transfers sure do look pretty on the sheet.... Why don't I have a shark mouth build in my collection? I mean I know why Ced doesn't.... But I have not been bitten yet :) 

nice work stew

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm resurrecting this thread to hopefully help anyone else who might use these decals. Mine came today, nearly a year after @Stew Dapple gave me a heads up that Hannants had them back in, from where I dutifully watched them thinking yup, plenty there still till recently I looked at them & oh hell, last one & hit the buy button.. Reading through the instructions was not especially confidence filling so I did some prowling on the googlesphere & found this photo.

umyzbgn6mucx.jpg

The decal instructions show the same scheme as Dukes aircraft but with the colours reversed. Looking at the photo, if the the pattern on Dukes is the A pattern for the sake of Arguement, then GA-O is the B pattern but with normal colour distribution. not reversed. So reverse the colours on the decal instructions & then reverse(mirror image) the camo pattern. (Assuming I haven't got the whole lot thing bass over apex. ) :unsure: 

Steve.