Follant Gnat T.1, Airfix 1/48, Britains old school

On 10.1.2017 at 3:43 PM, Biggles87 said:

Those tanks look great, along with the rest of it. The trainer colour schemes went through several changes during the Gnat's service life, not to mention the Yellowjacks and Red Arrows. I think I may need more than one.

John

I think I will also change to Flickr. I haven't posted anything for a while, mostly due to problems with PB.

I can Flickr absolutely recommend. It works fast and overall it`s easy.

1 hour ago, Rui Silva said:

Beautiful work, I have 2 Gnats to make and I've ordered the SBS resin wheel set for them, I had no idea these existed!

The SBS resin wheels are all the money worth. Really nice and crisp details. You never will regret. :)

• Like 1

On 10.1.2017 at 8:33 PM, Martian Hale said:

I looks extremely smart in that finish!

Martian

Yes I like that finish since my childhood.

I remember, as a little boy I held a kit of a S.A. Bulldog from Airfix in my hands. It had the same colours. At that time I was very fascinated.

180095-12155-27-pristine

Edited by Sarcococca
  • Like 1

Meanwhile are the Decals on the model. As I have described already before, the Decals own a matt carrier film. However, they are printed for it very thinly.

Before the Application of the Decals I have polished the layer with the brilliant varnish with Micromesh 12000 grit.

DSCN6856

One can recognise by the large Decals "XP&500" it has no Silvering effect, provided the varnish surface is clean and smooth

DSCN6858

Finally the Decals were protected once again with a brilliant varnish. After approx. 12 hours I have begun with the wash of  panellines.

For the white spraying I`ve used Ammo MIG Panel Line Wash Medium Gray.

The rivets were engraved with the Rosie the riveter tool and the screws with the Rivet Master. I found the additional rivets and screws give a little bit more deep ones to the model.

DSCN6863

Screws and Panellines were painted on the black surface with Ammo MIG Panel Line Wash Light grey.

DSCN6864

Edited by Sarcococca
  • Like 7

That is beautiful :)

Fantastic detailing and finish to the surfaces and cockpit... :)

And yes, I too remember those old early 1970's Airfix kits on those 'blister' packs, and then before them, the plastic bags with all the parts, and the thin paper top pieces...that would be the late 60's for me there! ;)

That 1/48 Gnat looks a gorgeous kit....must keep an eye out for one :)

Look forward to seeing your's finished :)

• 2 weeks later...

With the pictures from today, I want to finish this thread. Here a few pictures with details I have added to improve the Airfix model.

Instead of the Decals I`ve used Evergreen plastic for two black strips and the oval hatch.

DSCN6877

DSCN6885

At the right underside of the fuselage are several drain pipes made out of brass tubes.

DSCN6878

On the right and left side of the upper  fuselage are two small air vents

DSCN6899

DSCN6902

On the left side of the fuselage I`ve added two small instruments.

DSCN6895

The left and right  bulge on top of the wing root are too prominent. I`ve sanded down both as seen on original aircraft pictures.

DSCN6918

On the parachute box at the rear we will find a thin rubber sealing and an oblong plate made out of Evergreen plastic and stretched sprue.

DSCN6909

DSCN6912

Next pictures shows some surface details achieved with scribing tools as described before.

DSCN6938

DSCN6935

The pitot tube from Master is a real improvement and every cent worth.

DSCN6944

And last but not least some pics of the finished model "on the box".  I hope the weather conditions will be better next weeks, so I`ll try to shoot some exposures of my model in front of the hangar on a sunny day.

DSCN6960

DSCN6964

DSCN6972

DSCN6977

DSCN6981

DSCN6968

Edited by Sarcococca
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...