Academy 1/72 Fw190A8 JG5 'Eismeer'

Submitted for your inspection is Academy's 1/72 Fw190 A6/A8 kit, done up as Ltn. Karl-Heinz Koch's well-used 'Blue 9' of JG 5 'Eismeer,' Herdla, Norway, in the spring of 1945. Build was strictly out-of-box save for cannon barrels from brass tubing and aerial wire from stretched sprue.

02h%20GEDC9374%20%20RC_zpsu9hsggsz.jpg

02m%20GEDC9353%20RC_zpsfjjkabg9.jpg

04h%20GEDC9344%20RC_zpsisqvehni.jpg

I liked the kit quite a bit, but there were a few minor annoyances: the fuselage cannon cowling is a bit too narrow for the fuselage, and some of the molded access cover latches are too prominently raised---I'll take them down a bit next time I do one. (I have several of these in the 'pile.')

05h%20GEDC9357%20RC_zpsybimiyzz.jpg

08h%20detail%20GEDC9380%20R_zpsxdwqov1d.

10h%20detail%20GEDC9362%20%20RC_zps7j3at

Camouflage done in home-made mixes of Tamiya acrylics. Decals a mix of Print-Scale, which behaved themselves for the most part, and the Academy kit ones, which were typically miserable to try to get to lay down. I realized after the fact that the spinner spiral goes in the wrong direction, but that was the only workable decal I had to do it with.

10h%20GEDC9370%20%20RC_zps4zbpuyj7.jpg

11m%20GEDC9351%20RC_zpsagubinmp.jpg

12h%20GEDC9373%20RC_zpsjnjyypaq.jpg

Comments, criticisms and accusations of diminished capacity cheerfully accepted.
Enjoy!

• Like 12

Smashing paint job. Is the spiral on the prop a decal or painted? It looks really smart.:speak_cool:

• Like 1

Nice paint job, just a shame it's on one of the worst kits of the Fw190, that cowling opening looks far too wide and there's no cooling fan (you shouldn't really be able to see the engine).

If you can get hold of a Hasegawa or Eduard 1/72 Fw190, you will be even more pleased with the result, they really are the best 2 Fw190 kits you can buy. I repeat though, the paint job is really nice!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikemx said:

Nice paint job, just a shame it's on one of the worst kits of the Fw190, that cowling opening looks far too wide and there's no cooling fan (you shouldn't really be able to see the engine).

If you can get hold of a Hasegawa or Eduard 1/72 Fw190, you will be even more pleased with the result, they really are the best 2 Fw190 kits you can buy. I repeat though, the paint job is really nice!

thanks

Mike

As well as the too-short-in-chord rudder, the too-small wheels, and the faulty panel lines around the exhaust areas.... Although, to be fair, there actually is a cooling fan---it's just got too few blades, so it looks like engine cylinders in low light. :winkgrin:

I've built the Hasegawa kit...a real gem...but haven't yet jumped on the Eduard (since I have three of their bigger-scale brethren in 1/48 I haven't gotten around to yet.)

Cheers