Nakajima B5N2 Camo - Shōkaku 1941

DaveCS

Hi all, 

Just a curiosity as I'm almost complete the Airfix 1/72 B5N2 Kate and I've chosen to do it straight OOB and I'm having difficulty deciding how best to portray the camouflage/paint scheme that is shown for Shigekazu Shimazaki's aircraft (EI-311) on Airfix's instructions:

a04058-bsv-a.jpg

What I'm curious about is the following: Was this camo applied in the field with a brush? I'm trying to figure out if this is how it should be "painted" - I've seen others spray paint this type of hap hazard camo but I'm unsure if the edges should be so soft (or for that matter so hard as they are if you brush painted it).  Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

8 minutes ago, dreadeddrew said:

Sorry Dave,

'fraid I don't have the answer...........but it's something I'd like to know too,as I also have this kit.

Andrew

I'm hoping someone can provide the answer as I'm at the stage where the camo is going to go on (one way or the other) *LOL* :D

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,

I would recommend you have a look at the J-Aircraft site.  There are experts and enthusiasts, Japanese and American, who appear to know virtually everything about Japanese military aircraft and naval ships there.  I've met one of the Japanese enthusiasts; his username is General S. Toda.  He lives in Tokyo and has a very large book collection on the subjects, plus access to a lot of archives etc.

If the answer isn't to be found in a search, then I would suggest you join and ask the question there.

HTH

Mike

Mike,  Thanks for that input - it actually has helped... I found this info on the site:

Some Japanese sources say that the Shokaku planes (notorious for their specific defensive camouflage strictly limited to the horizontal uppersurfaces) were indeed mottled in both green and brown. Others (even published by the same company: Model Art) incline toward the use of green only…

In the absence of material evidence, it is impossible to get the right answer. But some questions need to be answered and can be answered at least. The most important one concerns the primary sources from which Japanese researchers’opinion on the use of brown originated.

If they based their opinion on the examination of the pics we saw, I must say I’m not convinced. Jim’s explanation, based on an irregular application of green (confirmed by the observation of relics bearing such irregularities and traces of brush application, source Greg Springer) is sufficient to explain the tonal differences on the pics

This seems to help a bit :)

Cheers,
Dave

'Evening All,

Would anyone have information on the ordinance racks carried by this aircraft for the Pearl Harbor strike? ve been unable to locate any drawings of the racks for the smaller bombs carried, as shown in the artwork at the top of this topic.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC,

Canada

EI-311 carried two of the larger bombs - the Type 98 #25 250kg land bomb - on the staggered racks. Airfix include the racks but only one bomb of that type (parts 03 and 04 on Frame D).

I haven't been able to post pics here yet. 

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks Nick... I was wondering about that... they (Airfix) provided a lot of ordnance but you're right... only one of the 250kg bombs :(

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I don't know if this will help; but, Print Scale Decals offers a sheet, 72-172, with 'splotches/squiggles/mottles(choose the word you like)' for the B5N from 1941-1942. It was just released about a week or so, ago. They(the spots) are offered in two or three colors. They may be appropriate to both the B5N1 and/or B5N2. Perhaps Nick will check them out to comment on their accuracy, or lack thereof. I saw them being added to Roll Models catalog. A further edit about this: CzechMaster(CMK) offers the 250kg bombs(alone), and, the 250kg bombs with racks. I have tried to enter the links; but, cannot get them to work. Go to CMK Kits ESHOP, www.cmkkits.com, and search for the sets. They are set No. 129-7258, and set No. 129-7262. The former are 6 of the 250kd bombs; the latter has two(2) of the 250kg bombs ,and, two(2) of the Type 97 racks(all the 250kg bombs in both sets are of the Type 98 250kg bomb).

HTH

Joe

New edit: Hannants does have/carry the CMK set 129-7262; I believe that they catalogue it as CMK7262.                 

Edited by JPuente54
New info on bombs