RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat

Okay, I've built enough airplanes for a while so let's come down to earth for a bit. Actually, forget the earth, let's make a big splash!

The next project on the workbench is the Airfix 1/72 RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat.

WARNING - I WILL BE ATTEMPTING TO USE CORRECT NAUTICAL TERMINOLIGY THROUGHOUT. EXPECT MANY MANY MANY MISTAKES!

a07280-front.jpg

Introduced to the RNLI in 1995, the all-weather Severn Class Lifeboat is the largest in their fleet. It has a range of 250 nautical miles and a top speed of 25 knots. It carries a powered Y boat that can be launched and recovered by a lightweight crane to enable rescues close to shore. It propellers are protected so it can take ground without damage.

So, as with most boats, we start with the hull. This comes in 4 main parts, a lower hull, two sides and an upper stern (transom?). I started by gluing the upper stern to the lower hull, then started both sides at the stern end gradually gluing them down until they both met at the pointy end (the bow - wow! I'm good at all this nautical type speak aren't I?)

DSCF0506_zps6ii5vhem.jpg

You can see the tube like thing at the front which represents the bow thrusters.

DSCF0508_zpswbdfqoue.jpg

DSCF0507_zpspp3lkljy.jpg

Propeller shafts and rudders fitted. I'll fit the actual propellers later, after the hull is painted.

DSCF0509_zpsgenxc3jg.jpg

Right, that's the keel laid (more nautical speak) and into the paint booth for a coat of white primer. Why white? well you can just see the white dividing line at the bow in the picture. I figure it will be easier to mask this then paint the antifoul and blue, than try and paint the white line later (plimsoll line?)

• Like 10

First build of a floaty 

Brave man picking this kit you have your work cut out. :banghead:

From my own experience of this kit my advice would be check all your joints

fit is not the best on the upper cabin area and bridge 

:popcorn:

Beefy

Good call BigDave, I have one of these waiting in the cupboard.  Just wish Airfix would produce further 1/72 marine offerings.

It'a great shame that White Ensign never released a "railings" update - they were considering it.  Beefy obviously cites some fit concerns but for me the major drawback is the overly large railwork, hard to correct and devilish to refashion in metal I suspect:(

Still looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Rob

Thanks both.

Not my first floaty build, I have done a 1/700 HMS Sheffield complete with etched railings and fittings (ping! - where the *$%* did that go?)

I have heard about cabin fit issues before, but thanks for bringing it up - someone else might not know.

As for the railwork, it is a bit on the thick size. I'll have to have a look and see what, if anything, I can do about it.

Now, a slight problem....

I sprayed the keel a lovely shade of red (Humbrol 19 as per instructions), picked it up carefully to move to the designated drying area as I had something else to spray - and promptly dropped it on the floor! Aaarrgghh! Dusty bits everywhere! :rant:

So. I'll let it dry, sand it down, and start all over again.

Abnormal service will be resumed when ever it starts again :P

Dave, while you've got the opportunity, I suggest Humbrol 177 'Hull Red' or something similar - anti-fouling paint isn't gloss red! Before you paint the blue mask a strip round the gunwhale (just under the top edge) so that the coloured stripe decals sit on white rather than blue. I didn't and they don't look too good...!

Nice to see another Lifeboat.  Good luck.

Steve

9 hours ago, Chimpion said:

It's not just the coloured stripe decals that have that problem. The white letters and numbers are also semi-transparent and the blue shows through.

I think I would be looking at white rub down transfers for this, the Decadry range is quite extensive.

Martian

Stevecombeboy, I'm going to stick with the Airfix colour call-out on this one as the photo's I've seen of a new boat show a shiny keel. But thanks for the advice.

I've also had a look at the transfers and agree with you - they are a bit translucent! I'll certainly mask off where the stripes go before I lay on the blue. And thanks for the advice about Decaldry Martian.

I'll probably stick with the moulded handrails for the stern and upperworks, but the stuff for the bows and sides certainly needs looking at. I have some ideas which I'll try before I post the final decision.

Right me hearties, pull up a bollard whilst I spin you a yarn.

Having dropped the hull whilst the paint was wet I decided to just strip it and start again...

Now, I've taken on board (get it?) some of the advice. I decided to paint the stripes as the decals are very weak in colour

The hull was re-primed in white, then the white plimsoll line was masked, then I painted where the stripes go in yellow.

DSCF0512_zpsrmdt2zsz.jpg

After masking the hull was painted red. This time I've forgone Humbrol 19, and instead used Vallejo red as it's slightly subdued.

DSCF0517_zps3lmx97vx.jpg

Then the red part of the stripes was masked and the blue applied. (This is before a second light coat was applied).

DSCF0519_zpsn77vzpfb.jpg

So, hands up who wants a sneak preview? Oh, okay then!

DSCF0520_zps9elrxcrv.jpg

Strange, photo makes it look like I need some more blue on the stern but it looks alright to the eye. :shocked:

I'm letting this dry for now, then I'll mask off and paint the black bits.

• Like 3

The mouldings were painted black, all the masking carefully peeled off and I've now got this:

DSCF0521_zps3rtlg2xa.jpg

DSCF0522_zpsflskzji6.jpg

Right, next up - the deck!

Edit: need to paint the mounting points on the stern and there are 4 vents each side that need to be chrome. 

Edited by Bigdave22014
  • Like 13

It's looking good now, and with lots of tricky stripes and lines nicely done - I know how difficult they can be to get just right and looking neat and even.

Edited by Rob 1

Thanks all.

There's a few errors in the strip thickness/alignment if you look closely - so don't!

Very happy with the way it came out. Now on with the rest!

The deck has been sprayed, just waiting for it to harden so I can mask off some bits to paint them in the correct colours. Nothing to see here (yet) - move along there!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Nothing to see here (yet) - move along there!

Shan't! I want to see more and I want to see it now! :whip:

Martian

• Like 1

To hopefully satisfy Martian The Impatient I produce for your delectation and consideration...

One Deck! Woohoo!

DSCF0523_zps2eysjndd.jpg

The rail bases have been painted white, as have some of the interior moulded blocks (or black depending on what my finite research has suggested - there's not a lot of interior pics, but it's mostly black!)

The orange on the forward (forrard) hatch and the capstan bases shows red for some reason, but 'tis orange I tells ye! Yarggh!

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 0:30 PM, robgizlu said:

Good call BigDave, I have one of these waiting in the cupboard.  Just wish Airfix would produce further 1/72 marine offerings.

Same here.  I'm an aircraft enthusiast myself, but I'd love to see the Airfix Severn joined by a Trent and a Tamar.  I always look out for the Trent at Howth whenever I fly into Dublin past Howth Harbour.

BigDave, job looks very promising indeed.

Edited by JosephLalor

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

Coming along nicely.........

Don't bother trying to keep Martian quiet, it's never going to happen :lol:

Kev

Kev should know, he has certainly tried hard enough. Nice painting on the deck though.

Martian