AMD Super Mystere B2 (P&W) in Honduras

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

Do any of you French experts, or wise owls of a Latin persuasion, know if the SMB2s operated by Honduras ever carried the 1285Ltr wing tanks, i.e. of the type used on the Mirage and Kfir? I'd really appreciate your thoughts. So far I have only found them with the smaller thanks in online images. Thanks in advance.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
spelling!

Hi Don,

No, the AZ offering. I built the Airfix a couple of times and this AZ came up on Ebay. I will trash an earlier Airfix for  the wing tanks if I can show that the Hondurans used them.

1/48? Sorry, but always 1/72 for me. Each to there own ;)

Martin

• Like 1

Hi there Martin

Let me say that you need some extra stuff to do a FAH Sambad to start with the ejection seat look for a Martin Baker Mk6, then try at L'Arsenal with the Mistere IVA fuel tanks as they are the same other source is to scoundrel them from Academy Super Etendard ( no they never got the big fuel tanks), then you going to need a couple of IAI Shafir II AIm

Resultado de imagen para fuerza aerea hondureña Super Mystere

Resultado de imagen para fuerza aerea hondureña Super Mystere

Best day

Armando 

• Like 1

I ordered an Etendard IVM to get the tanks and will stick the rest of the kit in the store. I also ordered a resin MB mk6 seat. I'll make a start once I finish my FAS Ouragan.

martin

Hi Martin 

Well if you can hold on a while I can took a AMD Ouragan photo walk-around for you as next weekend is the IPMS El Salvador convention and I'm on charge to the FAS Museum visit on next Sunday, also let me send some nice operational photos you can contact me at [email protected]

Best day

Armando

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Armando. So the smaller tanks in the Airfix SMB2 are not correct? I don't ever add external weapons, just tanks, so no problem ;)

Martin

And please trash those no use at all 

Edited by RAGATIGER

Reading this discussion reminds me of a trip I made to Hondo, TX  many years ago for a Confederate Air Force airshow. Took my late father, who was a B-29 navigator in WW2, so he could go through FiFi and revisit his old work station. While going through a couple of the hangars,we discovered several Super Mysteres, evidently being refurbished for another nation- from the markings still visible on some of the airframes, they looked like they were ex-Israeli machines, and were being upgraded with what looked like J-52's from  an A-4,  different bang seats, and avionics. A guard approached and told us we had no business in the hangar. When asked about the jets, he said they were "F-100's!" Yeah, right! Guess he thought we were some dumb bunny airshow fans. Hondo was a site that was used for a lot of clandestine government aircraft work during that time period. Wonder if the B2's we saw were the ones being refurbished for Honduras? Wasn't allowed to take any photos- wish I had, as the airframes were in various states of disassembly.

Mike

Also saw almost  all of the  Slingsby T-3A's that were grounded by the USAF and later scrapped parked on the ramp adjacent to the hangars; IIRC, the rest were in outdoor storage at the AF Academy in Colorado Springs, CO .

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Reading this discussion reminds me of a trip I made to Hondo, TX  many years ago for a Confederate Air Force airshow. Took my late father, who was a B-29 navigator in WW2, so he could go through FiFi and revisit his old work station. While going through a couple of the hangars,we discovered several Super Mysteres, evidently being refurbished for another nation- from the markings still visible on some of the airframes, they looked like they were ex-Israeli machines, and were being upgraded with what looked like J-52's from  an A-4,  different bang seats, and avionics. A guard approached and told us we had no business in the hangar. When asked about the jets, he said they were "F-100's!" Yeah, right! Guess he thought we were some dumb bunny airshow fans. Hondo was a site that was used for a lot of clandestine government aircraft work during that time period. Wonder if the B2's we saw were the ones being refurbished for Honduras? Wasn't allowed to take any photos- wish I had, as the airframes were in various states of disassembly.

Mike

Also saw almost  all of the  Slingsby T-3A's that were grounded by the USAF and later scrapped parked on the ramp adjacent to the hangars; IIRC, the rest were in outdoor storage at the AF Academy in Colorado Springs, CO .

wow!

interesting and great story!

Israeli Super Mysteres were actually modified with the A-4 engine, but already during its service in Israel The modified planes were called Sa'ar . Maybe the y were modified in the US, and not as always stated ingeniously by themselves though! ..look at the Nesher story....

Edited by exdraken

Hi there 

Well if interested on books look for these ones:

• AD Graphic IAF Aircraft Series 6 Super Mystere SM2 by Amos Dorr
  • Docavia 13 AMD Ouragan Mystere et Super Mysteres and
  • Ouest France Dassault Super Mystere
  • but wait for Isradecal book only was announced but still pending

Best day Armando

Hi all,

I am getting myself confused and hopefully you can help me? I think I have solved the wing tanks question by acquiring a Heller Etendard 4M. My next point of confusion is the ejection seat used in the P&W SMB2. Armando says earlier that they had MB Mk6 but I can't find a reference for that. What I have found are a number of references that state that there was a plan to upgrade the Honduran seats but that never happened. Does anyone out there know the truth? Do I need  a MB Mk6 for a Honduran SMB2??? 

As always, thanks In advance.

Martin

Edit: to say that having checked the kit seat (resin) it looks like an MB and not the original French one. Does that sound right?

Edited by RidgeRunner
additional info

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all,

I am getting myself confused and hopefully you can help me? I think I have solved the wing tanks question by acquiring a Heller Etendard 4M. My next point of confusion is the ejection seat used in the P&W SMB2. Armando says earlier that they had MB Mk6 but I can't find a reference for that. What I have found are a number of references that state that there was a plan to upgrade the Honduran seats but that never happened. Does anyone out there know the truth? Do I need  a MB Mk6 for a Honduran SMB2??? 

As always, thanks In advance.

Martin

Edit: to say that having checked the kit seat (resin) it looks like an MB and not the original French one. Does that sound right?

Hi Martin

Well photos show a Martin Baker ejection seat so at the time they sold those planes to Honduras no original ejection seat available even last one flying was using a Martin Baker seat the same used at Mirages, Nesher, early Kfirs so you can also look for those used for Lightning/Hunter

Best day

Armando

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/16/2016 at 7:42 PM, 72modeler said:

Mike

You are correct,according to this:

http://www.sky-high.co.il/134771/סער-82

Make a Google translate,total overhaul and avionics upgrade

• Like 1