Revell 1/144 Qantas Boeing 737-838 Draw Decals 90's Livery

Good morning everyone,

Here are some photos of the Revell 1/144 Boeing 737-838 kit that I am building. The last kit I built was a Minicraft 733 in 2005, so I'm quite rusty, to say the least.

Ordered my decals from DrawDecals, and happy to see that it is the VY series, the range of regos I often spot. I have noticed that the set is missing the landing gear door rego.
image1%201.jpg

First thing I did was to use the Tamiya Putty to fill in the window holes after a styrene strip was secured on the inside.
IMG_5144.jpg
IMG_5143.jpg

The two fuselage pieces were warped significantly. A hairdryer was used in low heat and weights were used to straighten the warping.
image1%203.jpg

The infamous winglets of the Revell kit. I couldn't source the various after market kits, and after careful consideration, I decided to hack it off and shave it into shape.

image1%202.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg
IMG_5906.jpg

Easy does it, with a lot of patience for the CFM56-7's spiral cone. I've stuck with the default engines, they do have a distinctively high angle!
image2%201.jpg

Probably the most nerve wrecking part, painting the distinct red tail. I don't have an airbrush, and used Tamiya's Italian Red spray can. There was some minor bleeding but nothing too difficult to repair.

image2.jpg

This is where it is currently at. The winglets have been painted with the golden stripe, engines are attached. The next process is to paint the gold strip on the leading edge of the red tail, and decals time.
image1.jpg

Feel free to leave any comments, and suggestions. Looking forward to learn off others and fine tune my techniques.

The decal set did not include the lines above the wing, and I'm looking at masking the wings and painting the lines on. What methods do others employ?

Kind regards,

Charlie

Edited by Triplecharlie
Punctuations
  • Like 2

Nice work Charlie and :welcome: to the forums. The build so far is looking great. :thumbsup:

Did you realise you can get QANTAS decals closer to home? Hawkeye has a large range.

If you are interested I have a spare set of wing decals from my current QANTAS Retro Roo II build using Hawkeye decals over at the Airliner GB

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words.

Here are some updated photos from today.

Close enough!
IMG_6508.jpg

A lapse of judgement after working several early mornings saw me painting the golden stripe instead of using decals. Despite numerous practices in masking the area, there was excessive bleeding of the gold paint. I couldn't recover.

IMG_6513.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

• Like 1