RMASG Centaur.

Bullbasket

14 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Nice John.......like it.....mines gone off the boil....I must get back into it again.......

Thanks Simon. Yes, I know what you mean. I've got three or four on the go at the moment and keep coming back to them in the hope that I might actually finish one of them. At least this one is nearing completion.

John.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Liking the sloping front mudguards.  In fact, just liking the whole outcome.  A lot.

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looks stunning, superb workmanship all round!

Roger

Many thanks Peter and Roger. Much appreciated.

John.

On 27/11/2018 at 17:28, Bullbasket said:

I had to remove the tracks as I'd forgotten to paint the undersides of the etched brass parts of the track guards. These areas were then blended in with Mig pigments.

I'm not very good at carrying out shading with an airbrush, so I tend to use Carr's weathering powders for this job instead. I may have gone a little OTT.

Not much more that I want to do with this now, apart from a couple of figures and aerials and some rations in the open stowage bin, and give the tracks another dark wash, and then it will be onto a base and into RFI.

ec864ae3-9a01-4399-9b52-9c368810df40.JPG

464b8d9b-f375-4cd1-a632-cad8d1d85ed0.JPG

Thanks for looking.

John.

Very nice. What shades of brown did you apply here and what are those watering powders.

Thanks Soeren. I used Mig's SCC2 for the main coat. It is part of a Smart Set of British colours, 1939-1945 and includes SCC1, SCC2, SCC15 and Khaki Green No.3. I used a combination of weathering powders. The dark/shadow areas are Carr's coal black and I used their mellow yellows for the dust along with Mig's Europe Dust. I also used Mig's Allied Green Fading on things such as the tarps to get a worn appearance. Carr's Weathering Powders were originally made for model railways. I've had these for more than 30 years and find them excellent to use. They have a very slight oily texture to them which helps with adhesion onto a matt surface.

HTH's.

John.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 8:50 AM, Bullbasket said:

'Morning Etienne. Thanks very much. Nice to hear from you again. How are your builds going?

John.

Hi John,

still lurking here sometime but super busy with my job ... as I'm out for work almost every week, my week end time is for my family 😊

Still some projects in mind however !!

Cheers, E

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kris B said:

Very nice John. Maybe one day Tamiya decided to the British colours so we do not have to mix them any more. 

Thanks Chris. I'm quite happy to mix the colours (using Mike Starmers mixes) as it allows me to vary the tones a little.

John.

On 20/10/2018 at 15:11, Das Abteilung said:

This gave a goldy-yellow metallic colour, hard to replicate

Hmm, I got an Christmas wrapping set from Aldi, for the daughter.  it had two spirit marker pens, in silver and gold,  the gold one is not very gold,  but a kind of goldy oange yellow with metallic flakes....

I got myself a set on a gamble it might make an acceptable track colour.   If I ever get to actually ever build anything ever again...

Regarding the over weathered Centaur, it's fashionable, like overweathered aircraft, and overdone preshading.

The silver/gunmetal tracks makes sense, until you know what tracks were made of, and what they should look like, but again images of models, especially impressive ones with the classic impression of tracks takes a while to shift...

Mind you, I remember when models had black rubber ones :rofl:  And British WW2 tanks were "green"    Airfix M3 wasn't it?

@Bullbasket  That is a great Centaur.    Very helpful build thread too.

cheers

T

20 hours ago, Hewy said:

Hello John, love the centaur, great job, weathered a treat too imo

Many thanks. I WILL get around to putting it in RFI eventually, once I've done a couple of figures.

John.

• Like 1