Air Commando`s T-28B, Operation Farmgate

Hi Everyone, finally finished the T-28 I always wanted to do.......

6dFQSzw.jpg

...an Air Commando`s T-28B in Operation Farmgate markings in the early 1960`s

O6uNDpi.jpg

Built from Roden`s T-28C kit ( the B parts are still included )

30DA1pw.jpg

Finished in the markings of 1st Air Commando Squadron `Soc Trang Angels`, Soc Trang Air Base, Vietnam, 1963

ARJAP1D.jpg

Decals from AOA Decals 48-005, 

pJQMdfE.jpg

The bombs came from their `D` issue of the kit, the pylons are modified Mohawk items and

qkSX3Fj.jpg

...the 500 round Gun Pods I made from scratch from plastic sheet.

Finally here`s a pic` with it along side an Operation Farmgate Invader which I made from the Monogram kit

n20RS74.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 56
  • Thanks 1

Very, very smart indeed.  A subject that I too am very fond of.  I have a -28 in the stash and am looking at adding the -26 but both will be in 1/72 scale.

Very precise and accurate detail work for the shark mouth, especially as it folds into the engine cowling slightly - nice touch.

Phil

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, docipaul said:

Lovely Trojan! Can you share how did you do the gunpod?

Cheers, glad you like it re: Gun Pods, I just sandwiched three sheets of plastic card together, let it dry for a week, cut, filed and sanded to shape using Mk 1 eyeball, drilled a hole for the gun and glued the gun in. The gun barrel is the kit item with the ends chopped off, drilled and inserted the wrong way round ( to represent the anti flash muzzle. Painted and drew on panel lines and fasteners with a pencil. Hope this helps and makes sense.

• Like 2

Really nice work, it looks perfect. I agree that it looks very nice with the Invader next to it as well. 

The first time I heard about the Air commandos was when I watched the Battlefield Vietnam episode: Air War Vietnam, a series well worth watching if you are interested in the Vietnam conflict/war/police action!

Rich

• Like 1

Great job Russ I do like the paint scheme , and the Invader looks nice too ( one of my favourite aircraft ).

:clap2:

Guy

• Like 1

A delightful and extremely mean-looking Trojan!

Looks just perfect. 

Superb!!!

JR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Cracking job, I've got one of these to do, any tips?

Cheers FF, They`re like a top of the range limited run kit, check the fit and alignment of everything before gluing, the nose wheel leg is incredibly fragile and needs reinforcing before you even cut it off the sprue. What I did is superglue a thin strip of foil to the inside and outside of the leg and squeeze it with tweezers to conform to the cross section. after a thick coat of paint you cant see it. 

The control columns are fragile too and I usually break one of them cutting them off ( I`ve built 5 and have broke nearly every one )

Glad you like it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Don said:

WOW!   Fantastic build Russ.   I love this and all your Secret War builds.   So what's next?   Have you done a Raven Bird Dog yet?

Thanks Don, I did a Ravens Bird Dog a while back 

I`m currently trying to build a Hughes 500P, `The Quiet One` from the Academy CHIPs kit, used by Air America ( CIA ) for laying Telephone Wire Taps.

Not much info` on it though, only found 3 Photo`s and only one of those is `in service`

Thanks for your interest and looking, Russ

Thanks to everybody who`s responded for your positive feedback, likes and kind comments, Cheers

Hello,Russ - My full compliments to you on another superbly built,finished and displayed subject.The 'Trojan' and also the 'Invader' are both resplendent tributes to these types.Great work as always,😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 10/12/2016 at 0:01 AM, russ c said:

Cheers, glad you like it re: Gun Pods, I just sandwiched three sheets of plastic card together, let it dry for a week, cut, filed and sanded to shape using Mk 1 eyeball, drilled a hole for the gun and glued the gun in. The gun barrel is the kit item with the ends chopped off, drilled and inserted the wrong way round ( to represent the anti flash muzzle. Painted and drew on panel lines and fasteners with a pencil. Hope this helps and makes sense.

Russ, my hats off always to people who goes the length of crafting their own model parts from material lying about and not resulting to 'AFTER-MARKET"... (thanks for the tip on the gun!)  Hats off, too, for the great and realistic diorama.... Regards...

Farouk (tausugAir-HARIBON Decals)

• Like 1