KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

Hi Jan,

Related to KP's new MiG-21bis which seems to be unmodified RV kit and it marking alternatives. There are a couple of issues related to the Finnish and Soviet liveries:

- I suppose VVS blue #40 is one of the Kubinka aircraft visiting Finland 1974. It had different marking on the right side of nose,

- Finnish one: Smaller roundels only below the wings. Nose and wing tops same side. Darker camouflage colour was dark brown, not black.

Maybe these can be taken into account in next production batch?

Cheers,

AaCee

On 9/6/2018 at 8:41 AM, vppelt68 said:

Here´s a pic of a very faded pair of our MiG 21:s outside the Air Force Museum in Tikkakoski. Just to show it´s definitely not black. Or was not black. V-P

Kopio tiedostosta WP_20160728_001

I don't say that you're wrong - IIRC the Finnish Mig-21bis really were camouflaged in Olive Green and Dark Chocolate Brown. Nevertheless - just for comparison purposes - have a look at the fading process of the BLACK GREEN that in less than two years went into LIGHT CHESTNUT (or is it EARTH?) BROWN. The subject is ex-Duxford Ju-52 now being exhibited at the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow.

Here are the photos from Duxford 2013

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/forum/vazduhoplovna-umetnost-warplane-art/junkers-ju-52/

And here is the 2015 picture from Krakow. The hint is that the aircraft camouflage is untouched for last 5 years - only the Black Green has lost some 90% of its blue pigment leaving the terracota one as the sole survivor :)

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/galleryphoto_en.php?photoid=11569

Cheers

• Like 5

BTW it's very interesting (for me at least) what was the brand of enamel that Duxford IWM men have used as the Black Green when painting the Ju-52...

Let's hope that the guys at RAF Cosford willl use a different one at the Do-17 restoration :)

Cheers 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

BTW it's very interesting (for me at least) what was the brand of enamel that Duxford IWM men have used as the Black Green when painting the Ju-52...

Let's hope that the guys at RAF Cosford willl use a different one at the Do-17 restoration :)

Cheers 

Flipping heck that’s quite a change!

As for the Do-17, that won’t be stitched together and buffed up ever. It’ll be ‘stabilised’, ‘conserved’ and displayed as is. My understanding is that it’s so fragile any attempt to restore it is out of the question as it would crumble into dust.

Trevor

22 hours ago, KRK4m said:

I don't say that you're wrong - IIRC the Finnish Mig-21bis really were camouflaged in Olive Green and Dark Chocolate Brown.<clip>

Hi all,

Most of the Finnish MiG-21BISes where delivered dark green and chocolate brown livery. First and last batches of few planes had darker brown colour. MG-138 as offered by KP decals was among the  chocolate brown ones.

In VP's  museum picture both MiGs are - sorry were - re-painted in Finnish colours. with two greens.

Cheers,

AaCee

On 9/6/2018 at 9:16 AM, Jan Polc said:

AaCee26 - thank you for your notes. Maybe we had not the correct references. It can be time to time.

Hi Jan,

Knowing the amount of subjects you are going through with tight schedules it is just matter of time when something is not noted. I hope you understood that I intented not to blame you but just get things corrected for the future.

Prosit,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Typos
  • Like 2

Gentlemen,

let me apologise once again for wrong camouflage scheme of Finnish MiG-21bis. It is my mistake. I was thinking in the box of WWII camouflages with the Black colour. Sorry.

You are asking us very often how does it looks with Bf 109G-12. Let me inform you, that we have solved technological problem with complicated canopy and G-12 is very close now.

I do not want to promise some date, but it will come the next year, I think in the first half.

G12.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Dear gentlemen,

I am back after longer time. We have a chain of big and bigger shows ahead, so everybody is working really hard in these days.

If the is any PM or e-mail without quick response from my side, please wait a little bit. Sorry for that.

We have a bunch of the new kits just released, there is a short photo report of one of them in the link - 

http://www.modelarovo.cz/mig-21um-mongol-b-kp-1-72-nahled-do-krabicky/

22 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Dear gentlemen,

I am back after longer time. We have a chain of big and bigger shows ahead, so everybody is working really hard in these days.

If the is any PM or e-mail without quick response from my side, please wait a little bit. Sorry for that.

We have a bunch of the new kits just released, there is a short photo report of one of them in the link - 

http://www.modelarovo.cz/mig-21um-mongol-b-kp-1-72-nahled-do-krabicky/

Is the Mongol a new KP kit, a rehash of the older single seat KP Fishbed kit of yore, or does it come from some other now defunct company?  I have an Eastern Express kit of the Mongol, but it is not of the same provenance as the soon to be released new KP kit.  I really like the new low viz Czech color scheme.

Later,

Dave

The rivet detail on the close up of the wings gave me pause.  Visions of kits from decades ago with endless rivets to be sanded down.  Then again, the Soviets may have been fanatical about large rivets on their aircraft.  I just checked my Eduard kit of the MiG-21MF and it has a lot of rivets as well, but far less then what the photos for the Mongol show.  The Eastern Express kit, of unknown origin, has virtually no rivet detail.

Later,

Dave

9 hours ago, e8n2 said:

The rivet detail on the close up of the wings gave me pause.  Visions of kits from decades ago with endless rivets to be sanded down.  Then again, the Soviets may have been fanatical about large rivets on their aircraft.  I just checked my Eduard kit of the MiG-21MF and it has a lot of rivets as well, but far less then what the photos for the Mongol show.  The Eastern Express kit, of unknown origin, has virtually no rivet detail.

Later,

Dave

KP's rivets are sunken/engraved/embossed, not raised as in days of yore when the "Mad Riveter" ran amuck. It is my considered opinion that modern kits have sunken rivets ("divots") as part of a vast conspiracy to sell "washes" to enable "modelers" to "weather" their models in accordance with some arcane theory/formula promulgated by an obscure clan of "modelers" located somewhere in Spain.

That said, KP's "rivets" are not as bad as some.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I will probably get a KP Mongol just because of the Czech gray camo scheme.  Not much into soviet aircraft unless they are in markings of other countries, especially after the fall of the Berlin Wall.  Have done a few of them though the past couple of years however.

Later,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dear gentlemen,

Telford is not far....

One of our news prepared for Telford show is X-3 Stiletto in two boxings, one includes prototype markings, the second one is "what if" boxing.

I hope you will enjoy both.

kamo-box-2-stiletto.jpg

kamo-box-1.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Jan

In WWII section I have asked this question but here perhaps a shorter way direct to experts on Slovak WWII AF exists. Maybe you know the answer?

I have found a film on YT with some Slovak AF photos. Title is a bit misleading, since not too much of machine with uprising insignia are in moveie.

Nevertheless, wery intriguing is first take:

The two color band on fuselage? Is it red/yellow? What letter is overpainted? "S" (as the tail is also yellow this is a flight school machine likely...

It looks like very colorful scheme...

Regards

J-W