KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

On 30/06/2017 at 13:42, Jan Polc said:

Curtiss P-36 master model parts can be found in the link...

http://www.modelarovo.cz/curtiss-p-36h-75-jde-do-finise/

Good afternoon Jan

I am really pleased to see that the Curtiss P36 H 75 is progressing well and I am really looking forward to see this one released if it as good as it looks like I will certainly buy several boxes ... can you give us any clue  when it will be released ?

Patrice

I too am very pleased to see progress with the H-75 family, will we have options for the RAF ones used in Burma as well as the French versions?

On 30/06/2017 at 1:42 PM, Jan Polc said:

the ammunition box doors are at the underside wing, not at topside.
the outboard edge of landing gear fairing is not straight but curved

the Pitot head is as a "z" not as a "h"

You forgot the removable doors under the wings for bomb rack

there is a panel line too on the leading edge

Below panel lines and rivet lines (drawn from original P36 & H75 blueprint)

rivets10.jpg

Edited by BS_w

When you guys get those announced 1/72 Z-37 kits underway, will you do a "What if" boxing for the Z-37 TM?

Put together a few in service schemes and an extra sprue with some wing pylons and some basic unguided weapons suitable for the close support mission the Z-37 TM was imagined for....

c6WdplU.jpg

CA5ijy3.jpg

pf1UVKR.jpg

tKic75p.jpg

CzD4LPV.jpg

upnorth - Z-37TM is a nice bird..., but another than Z-37 we are working on and there is  no chance to use any part from Z-37 to create TM..., it is another plane. So, sorry, no... :-(

Edited by Jan Polc

How much different to the radial engined Z-37 is the turbine one, engines apart of course? I'm thinking airframe wings etc. I was under the impression it was pretty much just a repower, in which case maybe someone does an aftermarket Walter engine for them. I like the look of them, we've had a few in New Zealand doing ag work & their awkward gawkiness on the ground is well lost in the air so I'd like to do one, & that camo one is a great looker. Maybe a scratch build if it is feasible

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

How much different to the radial engined Z-37 is the turbine one, engines apart of course? I'm thinking airframe wings etc. I was under the impression it was pretty much just a repower, in which case maybe someone does an aftermarket Walter engine for them. I like the look of them, we've had a few in New Zealand doing ag work & their awkward gawkiness on the ground is well lost in the air so I'd like to do one, & that camo one is a great looker. Maybe a scratch build if it is feasible

Steve.

I just did some reading up on it and, to my surprise, it was more than just a re-engining job. The production turboprop Z-37 was given a fuselage extension somewhere towards the rear end to balance the new engine. The prototype for the Z-37 T was just a re-engined Z-37 A which was quite unstable and showed the need for the fuselage extension.

Aside of the winglets, the wings of the Z-37 T received some reinforcement and strengthening of some sort; I'm not sure how much of that might show externally.

Apparently, the Z-37 T also got a larger internal hopper and larger main landing gear wheels.

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 1

upnorth - let me say it in simple way - from radial engined Z-37 you can not use nothing including the small details. Believe me, we were looking very close to that plane. sorry... :-(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

upnorth - let me say it in simple way - from radial engined Z-37 you can not use nothing including the small details. Believe me, we were looking very close to that plane. sorry... :-(

No need to apologise, Jan, if you can't do it from a common set of moulds that's an unfortunate reality.

Though you do have me looking at a lot of my own pictures of the Z-37 and I'm see differences I'd not really noticed before between the piston and turbo versions.

Looking at these two side on shots, really shows some differences:

RAQbel7.jpg

pf1UVKR.jpg

• Like 2

On 30/06/2017 at 9:42 PM, Jan Polc said:

Hello Jan,

It's good to see this progressing, it's looking good... but:

I think I'm looking at, fundamentally a:

P36 A/C Mohawk III. :hmmm: ?

Pratt and Whitney double row radial, 14 cylinders?

This will please French fans as it provides the basis for A-1 to A-3 (armament variations here). Mohawk III.

However, thinking about British fans. Or SAAF, Dutch, Netherlands East Indies, Norwegian A-6,  Chinese variants;

Just taking the British example; AFAIK some A-1 to A-3 made it into British service, but the majority were Mohawk IV's. (A-4, then some A-5).  Squadrons that spring to mind for Mohawk IV would be 5, 146 and 155.

These Mohawk IV had Wright Cyclone  engines, giving a very different cowl shape.

The Chinese, Dutch, SAAF, KNEIL, Indian diverted into RAF service, Norwegian A-6, etc are fundamentally similar in this respect. The French also did have Mohawk IV (75 A-4).

Therefore a whole variety of country schemes/theatres are missed due to this; therefore potential sales.

Does AZ/KP have a plan on how to incorporate the e.g. British, Netherlands etc Wright Cyclone variants into this tooling?

The way the cowl is split on the master I'm looking at doesn't seem to be ideal for this. I realise I may be missing something :hmmm: .

I'm suspecting (but hoping against) it being a case of us sawing the front off and using aftermarket?

Unfortunately as far as I know there has only been the AML Mohawk IV in 1/72. The Academy in 1/48, perhaps Special Hobby in 1/32 (they also did some of the fixed undercarrriage variants in other scales AFAIK).

The AML 1/72 Mohawk IV was challenging. Very challenging :(. So challenging I challenged it to fly across my lounge at speed, avoiding the wall. I'm not sure if I won or lost. I suspect overall, lost.

I don't think an aftermarket A4...../Mohawk IV (i.e. British etc), cowl/engine etc conversion is available yet in 1/72, but it might be.

However, given that this is a new tool, we could certainly use a Mohawk IV and associated Wright Cyclone international variants with your standard of moulding and detail, as evidenced in the whole look of this master.

Not nit-picking; I'm looking forward to a French variant, but I'm sure a lot of us have also been hoping for British, Netherlands, Norwegian, SAAF.

All the best

TonyT

PS: I like Mohawks a lot, can you tell :rofl:?

PPS: I haven't forgotten that the III will please US modellers too.

Edited by TonyTiger66
Too many pain killers; I originally accidentally wrote 'Pratt and Whitney' for Mohawk IV, when I meant 'Wright Cyclone'. Which we still would like: A Mohawk IV fuselage.
  • Like 1

TonyTiger - thank you for really exhausting reading, based on very good knowledge of the subject... :-) It is my fault that I did not write at the very start, that we will release another P-36 with different fuselage and single row engine....

Thanks to this my fault you had to write your soo long post. Sorry. :-)

Here are camouflage schemes for the first boxes to be released.

http://www.modelarovo.cz/curtiss-p-36h-75-172-az-model-prehled-kamuflazi/

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

TonyTiger - thank you for really exhausting reading, based on very good knowledge of the subject... :-) It is my fault that I did not write at the very start, that we will release another P-36 with different fuselage and single row engine....

Thanks to this my fault you had to write your soo long post. Sorry. :-)

Here are camouflage schemes for the first boxes to be released.

http://www.modelarovo.cz/curtiss-p-36h-75-172-az-model-prehled-kamuflazi/

I love the word 'exhausting' here Jan :D!

I would like to think that you meant 'exhaustive', but I think the use of 'exhausting' is more approprare. :rofl:.

Some really nice profiles. I'll try not to be  more 'exhausting'.

The first box is a great crowd pleaser for 'Czech pilots in Battle of France' fans (I'm one).

I'm no expert, just enthusuast, but it looks like the first one is of Vasatko's Hawk?

I'm on the phone and popping my eyeballs trying to see the code on the middle one :hypnotised:? Another Czech pilot's aircraft?

Then the last one (Lafayette); Duda, Hanzlicek and maybe Chabera?

A quick look at the British ones gets the thumbs up serial wise as in the range 630-634 Mohawk III's re-allocated to Kirkwall, Scotland in Spring 1940. Nice :thumbsup: .

A quick observation; The Norwegian one needs to wait for your next boxing. I have a few references here; some differ on the fate of '447' (serial 14569). They agree on it being a Mohawk IV (A-6 in this case, although some say A-8, the former seems more likely for 447).

It may have been involved in a fatal crash at an air display. A number of profiles have it as the oft discussed apple green. But it was a Wright Cyclone Hawk, be it silver or a little pomme 🍎. Edit: Just found two photographs of it in quite shiny metal finish.

One of them is very sexy; nothing like a nice clean Brazilian with a red bottom :winkgrin:.

Best regards :bye:

PS: Good to hear about the Mohawk IV's 

Edited by TonyTiger66
To be more exhausting
  • Like 1

Sorry for my Czenglish..., Italians destroyed my English as I was working for Italian company for very long time... :-) I will use exhaustive next time. I promise.

To the Norwegian Hawk - I am not in the project, working on our 1/48 jets now, so I can not tell A or B. Anyway, I passed your claim to the guys working on it. Unfortunately I am afraid decals are in the process. :-(

The first box is dedicated to the Czechs over France, Vasatko, Chabera and I think Perina, not sure.

At the moment I will get texts to be incorporated into design, I will inform you.

Beard - don´t worry, we did not forget Vc Spitfire. I have references just behind me and when I finish Sukhoi Fitters I am going back to my favourite aircraft and I will start to design camo and decals for "Vc"...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Just taking the British example; AFAIK some A-1 to A-3 made it into British service, but the majority were Mohawk IV's. (A-4, then some A-5).  Squadrons that spring to mind for Mohawk IV would be 5, 146 and 155.

Unfortunately as far as I know there has only been the AML Mohawk IV in 1/72. The Academy in 1/48, perhaps Special Hobby in 1/32 (they also did some of the fixed undercarrriage variants in other scales AFAIK).

I don't think an aftermarket A4...../Mohawk IV (i.e. British etc), cowl/engine etc conversion is available yet in 1/72, but it might be.

Relatively few A-1 to A-3s made it into UK use - Nick Millman did a little article on those which may still be available on his Amair blog.

There was another A-4 kit, from Azur, a version of the SH/MPM kit

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/112203-azur-a013-curtiss-h-75-a-4-mohawk-iv

In terms of conversions, there was a very nice resin nose from DB and then Airwaves available in the late 80s/early 90s

Neither these nor the Azur kit are readily available of course, so a new Mohawk from AZ will be most welcome!

• Like 1

On 04/07/2017 at 10:27 PM, Jan Polc said:

To the Norwegian Hawk - I am not in the project, working on our 1/48 jets now, so I can not tell A or B. Anyway, I passed your claim to the guys working on it. Unfortunately I am afraid decals are in the process. :-(

No worries with the Czenglish Jan. Your English is much better than my Czech. The latter is confused because I learned Polish first :confused: . I get the languages muddled up.

Italian, French, Norwegian, Danish - ok. A past life of dragging students around Europe. 

I found an image of 447 that appears to be public domain. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know and I'll remove it.

IMG_9508.jpg

Best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Trick of the light. Three blade prop, second edit as due to being fuddled on codeine I wrote the wrong engine name in my original

Tiger T - to jeśli pan mówi po Polski, to moge i do mnie... :-)

Sorry for Polish intermezzo guys... :-D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan Polc said:

Beard - don´t worry, we did not forget Vc Spitfire. I have references just behind me and when I finish Sukhoi Fitters I am going back to my favourite aircraft and I will start to design camo and decals for "Vc"...

2017-07-04_03-18-38

• Like 2