KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

12 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

As I promised, here is a boxart for the last boxing of Triplane - "in French Service".

Nice that you are doing further WW1 subjects.   It would be good to see more kits of the German 2-seaters . I can't believe important planes like the Halberstadt CL.II, DFW C.V and Rumpler C.IV  haven't appeared as good injection moulded kits yet. Also the Halberstadt D.II and D.V fighters. 

11 hours ago, Homebee said:

Here you're going in the right direction... Except for the scale 👍

93429703-2920128698102116-32353146913077

V.P.

Great subject, correct scale :thumbsup:

• Like 6

Going back to the Dewoitine.  Having serials on the fuselage was indeed correct for RAF planes of this period.  However French aircraft had them on the rudder.  Perhaps this is a case of Dewoitine not having realised that the British had changed their habits?  Perhaps we should also check the order of the colours on the rudder, something else where the British had fairly recently changed their practice.

8 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What scale is it?? I’d buy an ‘accurate’ Hornet in any scale, except 1/144!

Well Homebee is a 1/48th scale modeller and he's saying it's the wrong scale so I'm guessing and hoping it's to 1/72.

• Thanks 1

Graham Boak - according to our information D-510 was delivered unmarked and marking was applied in UK. And the style of the period was very similar.

So we expect, that colour order was "British". Serials is a question. There is no serial visible on the photos. Please let us for some "producer license". I suggested

to include it on the sheet. 

Edited by Jan Polc
  • Like 1

Hi Jan,

Really interested in your Hornet kit, as this is one of my favourite aircraft.  Well done for kitting it and I aim to buy a few when it is released!

Given that there is no extant Hornet airframe, and I am unaware of any accurate plans, can you tell us a bit about the data sources you used?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Given that there is no extant Hornet airframe, and I am unaware of any accurate plans,

Is that right? Given that there is a  Sea Hornet restoration to fly and other projects, wouldn't they need plans? 

Also, there are major sections about, granted would be a pain to travel and measure them all.

49 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Is that right? Given that there is a  Sea Hornet restoration to fly and other projects, wouldn't they need plans? 

Also, there are major sections about, granted would be a pain to travel and measure them all.

Hi, that is my understanding.  @David A Collins is trying to build a front fuse and has 1000s of dH drawings, but apparently he didn't know about the AZ kit.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 9:15 AM, Graham Boak said:

Going back to the Dewoitine.  Having serials on the fuselage was indeed correct for RAF planes of this period.  However French aircraft had them on the rudder.  Perhaps this is a case of Dewoitine not having realised that the British had changed their habits?  Perhaps we should also check the order of the colours on the rudder, something else where the British had fairly recently changed their practice.

I would swear I have seen a close upphoto of the rudder with the British serial on it in French style, but I have never been able to find it. (I might be confusing with the RAE's BrXIX)

The existing photos were all taken at Martlesham not long after arrival, and although it didn't do much, it was around for a year or two, so it's possible the UK serial was applied and worn in the normal UK style (Especially when it went to Farnborough in 1938). But unless someone comes up with a photo, we'll never know for sure.

I have read about the photo of D-510 with serial on the rudder on more then one place, but I have never seen it... 😞

Anybody here?

On 4/9/2020 at 8:57 PM, Graham Boak said:

But no central cannon, which was a bit embarrassing because that was why they wanted to try it.

According to the Putnam "British Flight Testing; Martlesham Heath 1920-1939" (Mason, Tim.  London 1993 p238) the cannon must have been fitted for a period at A&AEE, if not by the time it was at RAE Farnborough the next year:

"The first 20mm calibre cannon to be tested at Martlesham was fitted in the Dewoitine 510, and some 352 rounds were fired (mostly in the air) in 1937."

The specific ammunition consumption quoted sounds like it must have come from a report.

The Hornet will make for an interesting aircraft model.

I would have preferred a release announcement of this twin-engine type, though:

2350e8aa-e74d-492b-b36f-88d2f7dca317.jpg

What ever happened to the Mosquito kit development?

I first saw the announcement back in 2017, then all went quiet…

Edited by Roman Schilhart
typo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

The Hornet will make for an interesting aircraft model.

I would have preferred a release announcement of this twin-engine type, though:

2350e8aa-e74d-492b-b36f-88d2f7dca317.jpg

What ever happened to the Mosquito kit development?

I first saw the announcement back in 2017, then all went quiet…

A series of two-stage Merlin Mosquitos would make me very happy indeed.  I was rather hoping for an announcement from Airfix this year but no such luck.  A major type which is crying ut to be kitted in my view.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gioca said:

In April 2017 Special Hobby made this announcement, showing also different renders:

http://www.specialhobby.info/2017/04/172-double-stage-engine-mosquito-kits.html

In the same dates KP/AZ made an identical announcement, without any projects or material, just simple pictures and nothing more.

.... and those renders looked pretty advanced, first time I've seen them, very strange.

Hi gentlemen,

workload led me far away from internet for some days... Let me answer your questions in cumulative form.

Cessna 150/152/180 - still in the stash, after some more info picking new wings to be done.

Aero 304 - thanks to that f*cking COVID we decided to release the types with the potential to be sold internationally, so A-304 as local type was postponed and Hornet is under way instead.

Two stages Mosquitoes - 3D is ready for this type. I am afraid it will come not earlier as in January or for the Nuremberg Toy fair 2021.

Cessna Bobcat - it was sent to Hannants yesterday. So it will be on sale within two weeks. On our company e-shop it is available today.

Case DH-103 Hornet - I have got some e-mails with questions about that project. Let me inform you, that we are cooperating with Roy Sutherland, David Askett and David Collins on it.

We have got a lot of drawings, plans and photographs and I hope we will release as accurate kit as possible. We also have an agreement with Scale Aircraft Modelling and we share all significant news with them exclusively, so watch their FB page please.

BTW, modelling shops are opened back again in Czech republic, but for pubs and bars we have to wait until 25th May....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Two stages Mosquitoes - 3D is ready for this type. I am afraid it will come not earlier as in January or for the Nuremberg Toy fair 2021.

Thanks for the update on the Mosquito project, Jan!

Given your notorious habit to release multiple boxings with attractive markings, this is something to save my money for.

• Like 2