KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

Hi gentlemen,

agricultural aircraft are not so much common as a plastic kits. We have done one - legendary Z-37 Cmelak (Bumble Bee). Yes, it is legend in Czechoslovakia mainly, but one was flying also in UK.

So, perfect subject for all of you who are building aircraft used in UK... Boxart by Michal Reinis.

boxart-m-reinis.jpg

Z-37-kamo-fin-fb.jpg

• Like 4

I just noticed your new "Alfred On-board" boxing of the Bf 109 Gustav. I find it interesting, that you are reverting back to Humbrol #32 and #27 with #247 in the painting instructions for a RLM 74/75/76 scheme. That instead of going for the "straight" Hu 245/246/247- combination of the newish RLM-paints. I like your suggestion, whatever the Experten say about it 👍. V-P

Dear gentlemen,

I was out of Britmodeller for a longer time. It is elementary - we had a lot of work and there was no time for propaganda... 🙂 If there are some e-mails or PMs I did not answer, sorry for that, I will solve it the next week.

In fact, June 16th is for KP/AZ the final date for the news to be released. Then we will close the factory and will try to spend your money, as much as possible. 🙂

Let me express our big THANK YOU for your support.

But, there is the last bunch of news before holidays...

KP will release these kits - 

In 1/72 scale is here further kit from MiG-21 line - MiG-21bis in two boxings

KPM0100.jpg

KPM0100_kamo.jpg

KPM0102.jpg

KPM0102_kamo.jpg

The next new kit is legendary "Bumble Bee" LET Z - 37, long awaited kit here in Czech Republic. We have done two boxings in regular line of KP kits - 

KPM0103.jpg

KPM0103_kamo.jpg

KPM0120.jpg

KPM0120_kamo.jpg

Third box of "Bumble Bee" was done exclusively for TOM-Modellbau, our German distributor and includes only German markings. Company Avalon prepared decal sheet for our Bumble Bee with additional possibilities of markings.

It will be available at Hannants as our kits.

7012-Cmelak-overview.jpg

Bucker 181 Bestmann was built in deliberated Czechoslovakia after the WWII. Company Stransky produced outstanding kit in 1/48 scale. We based our new kit on Stransky moulds, changed engine cowlings and propeller

to make Czechoslovak version, called Zlin Z-381 or C-106 in military coding.

KPM4809.jpg

KPM4809_kamo.jpg

KPM4810.jpg

KPM4810_kamo.jpg

Well, it is KP for June in brief. And what about AZ Also this part of our company is close to release June news. Let us start wit reeditions in 1/72 scale.

We decided to release two kits - Stinson L-5 in WWII colours and Hurricane in IId version.

AZ7590.jpg

AZ7590_kamo.jpg

AZ7594.jpg

AZ7594_kamo.jpg

There is a variation on our older kit - FW 190D-9, in EARLY version with flat canopy now. Other boxings will follow after holidays.

AZ7591.jpg

AZ7591_kamo.jpg

In 1/48 scale there is one reedition under AZ model label. LET L-13 Blanik glider, used in UK and many other countries.

AZ4873.jpg

AZ4873_kamo.jpg

And in the end - two highlights - we were talking many times about these two kits - Spitfire Mk. Vc and Bf 109K. Both kits are finished. We have tried the first shots yesterday and there is no problem to build it. I can say, that from my point of view it

is the best Bf 109 and Spitfire in 1/72 scale. The first boxings are these two, the next ones will come in September. And it is all from KP/AZ for now, enjoy gentlemen.

KPM0121.jpg

KPM0121_kamo.jpg

AZ7595.jpg

AZ7595_kamo.jpg

• Like 7

Shame about the Malta schemes.  Clearly Jan has not seen Paul Lucas's research in Scale Aircraft Modelling a year or so back.  Even without that, however, there's no room for doubt that the Calendar aircraft were not painted in Non-Specular Blue Grey, as they were very dark and contrasted dramatically with the F4Fs in that scheme on the same deck.

Do this model include the extra bump in the wing upper surface, inboard of the ailerons, seen on these aircraft?

10 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Shame about the Malta schemes.  Clearly Jan has not seen Paul Lucas's research in Scale Aircraft Modelling a year or so back.  Even without that, however, there's no room for doubt that the Calendar aircraft were not painted in Non-Specular Blue Grey, as they were very dark and contrasted dramatically with the F4Fs in that scheme on the same deck.

Do this model include the extra bump in the wing upper surface, inboard of the ailerons, seen on these aircraft?

Yes Graham, you are right, I did not researched this article by Mr. Lucas.

Our camouflage schemes are based on the book Malta Spitfires Vs - 1942 by Brian Cauchi. It is very complex book with a lot of detail information (donated also by you Graham as we can see in acknownledgement).

Teories are very various in this subject, so we have chosen this book as our guide. In fact, nobody knows what was the appearance of Malta Spitfires today, including you.

So, presented schemes are as we see it. If you want to finish your kit in another way, OK, you are free to do it so.

• Like 1

I just returned to BM in time to see Jan pop off on holiday.

A week or so ago I received one of the DH88 via a chap on EBay (Petr....).

I would just like to say that, looking at the box contents,  it appears to be a lovely little kit. I was very pleasantly surprised to see it released.

I also bought the LVG C. VI; another very nice looking kit. Next will be the K-4.

If the Norwegian Hawk is out; one of those too. If not, please release it soon.

Have a pleasant holiday Jan and staff, spend our money just as (un)wisely as we would 😉.

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I entirely agree that theories about the camouflage of Malta Spits were  "very various", having contributed to a few of them myself over the years.   Brian's book was certainly excellent given the published knowledge at the time, and indeed is still outstanding and well worth buying (for those who haven't already),  but he had no access to more than a fragment of official documentation.  His book covers the whole story of Spitfires on Malta  in 1942, but where it comes to the Calendar and Bowery missions Paul has gone delving into the archives and discovered still-existing correspondence from the active participants, at the time, about the colours to be used - including those used incorrectly at first and their replacements.  That still leaves many Spitfires on Malta, both before and after this time, where the schemes remains unrecorded, uncertain, and indeed "nobody knows" for sure, but light has been shone into this particular corner.

The articles are to be found in SAM December 2015 and January 2016 for Calendar, August and September 2017 for Bowery.  Last time I checked these were still all available, but that may not be recent.

• Thanks 1

That VC and that K-4 look very nice indeed, Jan! I too see these in my future purchase plans. Regarding those AZ re-releases, are there any plans to re-release any of the Hart family, such as the Demon and the Hind, or are those moulds gone? I'd love to see any new/re-releases of any of the Hart family in 1/72nd scale. At any rate, you gentlemen (and ladies if applicable) enjoy your holidays!

Best Regards,

Jason

There is a plan to re-release Swedish Hart. I am afraid that fuselage mould for Demon has gone as we produced thousands of it.

Ah Malta Spitfires... As long as it's equally difficult to prove your paint scheme is incorrect than it is to prove it's correct, I as a modeller am happy to build them like kit and decal manufacturers instruct me. V-P:pilot:

• Like 1

As always, everyone is free to paint their model however they like.  Deep Sea Green and PRU Mauve over PRU Pink would look pretty good, and I've thought that a Spitfire would look great in RLM 61/62/63 over 65.  However, there are a lot of modellers who do like to paint at least some of their models in the colours actually used on the originals, and for a long time the Malta Spitfire blue (or should that be blues?) has been one of the most intriguing mysteries.  The colours used on all Malta-based Spits may not have been totally deciphered, but now we do know the colours that the participants were calling for, and receiving, for at least some of the deliveries.  That's a big step forward.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

Good to see the Z-37 kits so close now.

Just a couple of questions about them:

Will you be representing any spray or seed spreading devices in the kit? If so, will they be plastic or resin?

I know you told me earlier that you won't be doing the Turboprop versions, but will you possible do the Z-37 A-3 version with passenger seats in the future?

Hi Jan,

KP was producing Aero A-100. I am now doing direct build of A-100 and conversion to A-101 https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039380-aero-a-100-and-a-101-double-build/ 

However I think that A-101 in Spanish colours could be an attractive subject to mould. Are there any thoughts about this among producers? Do you think on re-freshment (re-issue) of Aero-100 kit? Another question is about Avia B34. I am thinking on scrratch conversion of B534 into B34 but I ill be discourages if there are plans to mould it as injection kit (I know that there are resin kits of both A 101 and B 34...). 

By the way - the early WWII schemes for Slovak machnes are without any numbering, which are likely retouched by war cenzor. Are there any not-cenzored photos of early (1939) WWII Aero-A-100 available? I am asking this question om WWII section...

Regards

J-W

Hi gentlemen, sorry for delay with my answer, I was really pretty busy the last days.... 

Z-37 spray devices - we do not plan to do it in any way, but among Czech "garage producers" is very high interest to make aftermarkets for this kit, so I expect it will come early.

Passenger and doubleseat version will come the next year.

Aero 100 - 101 - hmmm, not easy conversion, quite different subjects, 101 is much more bigger. We were talking about 101 in KP range, but it is really big - means bigger moulds and higher price, so we did not decide yet. But the project is not refused until now.

B-34 really is not in the plans and I do not have any info from another producers about it (and usually I have 🙂 ). So, the resin kit is the only chance.

I am not quite an expert in Slovak AF and I do not remember that I have seen photo of Slovak A-100, with codes or without. I have some books in electronic form on this subject or I can ask my friend from 4+ publications who has big archive to help me.

Give me day or two.

What I know is that Mr. Jan Mace made profile of A-100 in Slovak colours, with registration S-22. But it is profile only and I did not see the reference.

Will check it for you.

SPITFIRE V - HELP NEEDED - I am looking for SAAF Spitfires references - not only C but also B etc..., can you help me gentlemen? Your help with DH-88 was great. If you can help me, my e-mail is in my signature. THX.

4 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Aero 100 - 101 - hmmm, not easy conversion, quite different subjects, 101 is much more bigger. We were talking about 101 in KP range, but it is really big - means bigger moulds and higher price, so we did not decide yet. But the project is not refused until now.

B-34 really is not in the plans and I do not have any info from another producers about it (and usually I have 🙂 ). So, the resin kit is the only chance.

I am not quite an expert in Slovak AF and I do not remember that I have seen photo of Slovak A-100, with codes or without. I have some books in electronic form on this subject or I can ask my friend from 4+ publications who has big archive to help me.

Give me day or two.

What I know is that Mr. Jan Mace made profile of A-100 in Slovak colours, with registration S-22. But it is profile only and I did not see the reference.

Will check it for you.

Mny thanks! If you can ask your collegeues it will be great. I am sure that nobody knows it better...

I think that A-101 is one of the most world wide known Czechoslovak interwar airplanes due to wide (both sides) use in Spain. It nice that you are still thinking on this, but also nice that it is not in plans for close future. It encourages me to go ahead further with A 101 conversion - no fear of being frustrated that within two months a brand new kit of it will apear ;) .

The Avia B-34 is I think also doable from B 534 as scrach conversion. I already  compared drawings,,, So likely I will go with it also.

Thanks one more!

Regrads

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 3:36 AM, Graham Boak said:

The articles are to be found in SAM December 2015 and January 2016 for Calendar, August and September 2017 for Bowery.  Last time I checked these were still all available, but that may not be recent.

Not available from Guideline now but I did find electronic copies on line.

Steve.

JWM - pan jest z Polski? To moze po úpolski do mnie pisac... 🙂 

I have the answer from my friend - all known photographs to him - in total four or five - of Slovak A-100 are unfortunately without registration.

Very frequently modelled S-22 is a non-sence, as this registration was worn by Slovak Goeland.

Sorry for that, I did all I could do.

• Like 1