KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

To jest dobre Jan :). Od 1998 roku nie mówię po polsku. Kochałem Kraków :heart: .

I know we're not allowed to use other languages on BM. Only being polite :),

Just to save translating, I hope I wrote that:

I haven't spoken Polish since 1998. That I love the city of Kraków.

I think I got the last part a little wrong :confused: .

Not wanting to drift off topic, but while thinking of languages, and earlier parts of this thread relating to beer..... :cheers: 

I worked in Denmark for a while, in Copenhagen. At the time Sweden had the 'systembolaget' like the Norwegian 'Vinmonopolet'. Only one set of government approved shops that can sell alcohol above a very low strength.

So, on weekends lots of Swedes came (by hydrofoil then) to Copenhagen and really, very really, enjoyed Danish beer liberation :christmas:!

The Danes had a saying for the weekend nights that translated into English as:

"If you see a Swede, follow him back to his boat" :o! It was good natured.

As far as I know, the Danes probably don't realise that the Czechs have a saying that the Swedes would like very much:

"ožralý jako Dán"

"Drunk as a Dane" :D!

End of Euro interlude :bye: 

TonyT

Excellent interlude..., I think we will stay with English/Czenglish in our thread. To be polite. But what I like very much is to jump to off topic time to time... Why not, we are normal people, not only kit assembling monsters.

It is true, that we Czechs have proverb "drunked as a Dane", I was looking to the dictionary and there is no explanation why, with just remark it appeared after WW II! And, that it can be connected with Holland, which is popular in these proverbs in more languages. And Denmark is very close... :-)

It is interesting, that Swedes have the proverb about drinking with Hollanders, Germans use to say - "Drunked as seven Swedes" and in France they say "He is drinking like a Pole".....

I did not find who is saying something about Englishmen..... :-D

I am going to the garden party on Thursday (I do not like BBQ..., party sounds much more better) and as I am Czech, I have prepared Danish beers.... Europe is so small... :-) 

I think that this short linguistic corner did not bother the audience.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

TonyTiger - thank you for really exhausting reading, based on very good knowledge of the subject... :-) It is my fault that I did not write at the very start, that we will release another P-36 with different fuselage and single row engine....

Thanks to this my fault you had to write your soo long post. Sorry. :-)

Here are camouflage schemes for the first boxes to be released.

http://www.modelarovo.cz/curtiss-p-36h-75-172-az-model-prehled-kamuflazi/

Very nice !!

Tho two errors jumped at me in first sight, first is the P-36 Cleveland wargames camouflage, the green should be dark blue,

See the color photo down here:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2473751&postcount=115

The Norwegian AC should be in pale green, someone posted color photos of them here on BM, unfortunately I cannot recall the thread ATM.

Besides that the latter should have a single row Wright Cyclone 9 cylinder engine ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

It is true, that we Czechs have proverb "drunked as a Dane", I was looking to the dictionary and there is no explanation why, with just remark it appeared after WW II! And, that it can be connected with Holland, which is popular in these proverbs in more languages. And Denmark is very close... :-)

It is interesting, that Swedes have the proverb about drinking with Hollanders, Germans use to say - "Drunked as seven Swedes" and in France they say "He is drinking like a Pole".....

I did not find who is saying something about Englishmen..... :-D

:clap2:

:rofl:

TonyT

:cheers: 

Is it bad that I can (possibly) say those phrases correctly but have no idea what they mean? :unsure:

Anyway, on to the P-36...Looking forward to the Brit versions, especially the upcoming Mk IV :clap: I may be wrong, but wasn't there a spatted version too? Do you know if she'll be making an appearance in the future?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, occa said:

The Norwegian AC should be in pale green, someone posted color photos of them here on BM, unfortunately I cannot recall the thread ATM.

Besides that the latter should have a single row Wright Cyclone 9 cylinder engine ...

The Norwegian Hawk depicted is correct for the 75A-6 variant, which was the first batch delivered to Norway just before the invasion in 1940. These were in bare metal finish and with Twin Wasp engines. 

The 75A-8, which was delivered later to the "Little Norway" camp in Canada, were as you said in pale green and with Wright Cyclone engines. 

Edited by Boffin79
  • Like 3

Boffin79 - guys working on P-36/H-75 showed me references this morning and told, that the Norwegian aircraft in the box is correct... so I do not know now... :-D

31 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

Boffin79 - guys working on P-36/H-75 showed me references this morning and told, that the Norwegian aircraft in the box is correct... so I do not know now... :-D

That's what I meant, your box art looks correct to me for the A-6 variant :-)

This thread from a Norwegian model forum has two pictures of 75A-6 no. 447 from the first delivery in Norway - the second picture definitely looks like bare metal finish, and the engine cowling dimensions appear to match a Twin Wasp.

• Like 2

On 04/07/2017 at 13:04, Jan Polc said:

stevenz - it is clear we do not want your money..., we want ALL your money... :-)

Good afternoon Jan

With all these P36 H75 versions and the forthcoming Spit Vc you are going to have my money too ...the other questions is where will I find the time to build all these kits ?

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

Tempest - Do you know James Bond? One world is not big enough... Do you know Az model? One life is not big enough... :-)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Boffin79 said:

The Norwegian Hawk depicted is correct for the 75A-6 variant, which was the first batch delivered to Norway just before the invasion in 1940. These were in bare metal finish and with Twin Wasp engines. 

Hi all,

A little trivia about the Norwegian Hawk 75A-6 # 447. It was later CUw-570 in the Finnish Air Force. Painting guide for 447 is absolutely right with the natural metal finish and Twin Wasp engine.

Related to linguistic discussion Estonians are told to call Finns as their four-feet friends...

Kippis!

AaCee

• Like 1

Dear gentlemen,

we are getting a lot of mails asking if it is possible to buy correction clear parts for Ki-48 Lily 1/48 and Hampden.

Both sets will be released at the end of August 2017, both together with canopy spray masks....

Be so kind please as to wait a few weeks.

Thank you for your patience.

Jan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, occa said:

You guys were right 447 is a P/W double row engined version in natural metal

On 04/07/2017 at 11:23 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

No worries with the Czenglish Jan. Your English is much better than my Czech. The latter is confused because I learned Polish first :confused: . I get the languages muddled up.

Italian, French, Norwegian, Danish - ok. A past life of dragging students around Europe. 

I found an image of 447 that appears to be public domain. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know and I'll remove it instantly. Note Cyclone engine and cowl style.

IMG_9508.jpg

Best regards

TonyT

You know, this really is what happens when stuck in bed taking 8 strong painkillers a day.

I meant to write 'Pratt and Whitney' :fraidnot:.

My original post is a bit garbled too. 

I'll sort it out for posterity's sake; great to see a photo of the Apple green aircraft :).

Apologies for wuddling my mords chaps, not done on purpose; 8 x 50mg codeine a day; I'm not on form at all :hypnotised:. All I can see at the moment are 1830's and 1820's all muddled up :weep:.

One thing; I'd still like to see a Mohawk IV and yes, if an extra sprues could be done f or the spatted fixed undercarriage variants, they offer some great international colour schemes :thumbsup2: 

Best regards 

TonyT

Edit: Ok, I've been back and checked. My first post was ok:

But it's the second one where I lost the plot and created confusion :christmas:. I've corrected it and put a note in. Sincere apologies :sorry: 

TonyT

PPS: @AaCee26I dont read Finnish so don't really know how to Google searches in it. Could you recommend any links to websites in Finnish about the Hawk in Finnish service? I would like to build more Finnish subjects (LaGG 3, Hawk, Fokker DXXI, Buffalo and more..all very nice :heart: ).

T

Edited by TonyTiger66
Brain flatulence
  • Like 1

See post #2 in this thread:

Obviously # 447 was given out for both an A6 and later to an A8.

Edit:

Btw how many H75-A6s did the Norwegians even receive?

I just have been watching the English-narrated newsreel on Little Norway camp in Canada - there's a thread in WW2 section of this forum.

There's nothing like "pale green" on the Cyclone-engined Norwegian Hawks - they wear standard OD over NG camouflage. Mind this before printing your H75A-8 boxes !

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

On 13.7.2017 at 6:00 PM, occa said:

See post #2 in this thread:

Obviously # 447 was given out for both an A6 and later to an A8

Edit:

Btw how many H75-A6s did the Norwegians even receive?

From what I've read, 24 A-6s were ordered, but only 19 arrived in Norway (the remaining five were redirected to Britain and the RAF and redesignated Mohawk III). Of those that arrived, only about seven were assembled but not yet fitted with guns at the time of the invasion. 

• Like 1

On 12.7.2017 at 10:15 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

<clip>

PPS: @AaCee26I dont read Finnish so don't really know how to Google searches in it. Could you recommend any links to websites in Finnish about the Hawk in Finnish service? I would like to build more Finnish subjects (LaGG 3, Hawk, Fokker DXXI, Buffalo and more..all very nice :heart: ).

Hi Tony,

I usually "google" my bookshelf and "ilmavoimat &curtiss &hawk" was not a very successful search but local modelling forum may be more helpful. At least there are plenty of Curtisses built: http://www.pienoismallit.net/haku/curtiss%2Bhawk/

In general with this list of interests I would success you to invest instead of some models to two-part book "Finnish Fighter Colours" by Kari Stenman. About the Soviet types there is well researched material also in Massimo Tessitori's site "Soviet warplanes" IIRC.

5 hours ago, Boffin79 said:

From what I've read, 24 A-6s were ordered, but only 19 arrived in Norway (the remaining five were redirected to Britain and the RAF and redesignated Mohawk III). Of those that arrived, only about seven were assembled but not yet fitted with guns at the time of the invasion. 

Of those 13 ended to Finland through Germany.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2

On 14.7.2017 at 10:29 PM, KRK4m said:

I just have been watching the English-narrated newsreel on Little Norway camp in Canada - there's a thread in WW2 section of this forum.

There's nothing like "pale green" on the Cyclone-engined Norwegian Hawks - they wear standard OD over NG camouflage. Mind this before printing your H75A-8 boxes !

Cheers

Michael

I just checked the only underside B/W photo (of # 453 in flight - Monografie Lotnicze #61 - Curtiss P-36 Hawk cz.1) that likely is around, not a hint of any demarcation line is visible anywhere.

And I don't think they used OD, much too light for that..

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, please HELP - I am looking for photographic reference of Hillson Praga E 114 in RAF colours or with roundels or in RAF service. Can you help me?

E-mails are in the undersign or PM please. Thank you very much.

BTW - I wish to all of you sunny holidays. :-)