1/144 Australian Airlines Boeing 767

This was completed for the Airliner III GB currently underway. Since some of you don't venture over there and are having airliner withdrawals in RFI I thought I would post this here :D.

It is the Revell B767-300 kit from the Gulf Traveller boxing. I built it out of the box and used Australian Airlines markings from the Draw decal sheet.

A bit of history on Australian Airlines

Australian Airlines was a short lived full-service airline based in Australia, servicing Australian and Asian destinations between 2002 and 2006. It was an all-economy, full-service international leisure carrier, and was a wholly owned subsidiary of Qantas, (although run independently of the mainline carrier).

The airline ceased operations under its own livery on 30 June 2006. Qantas decided to discontinue the public use of the Australian Airlines brand in favour of having Jetstar Airways as its leisure, now low-cost, carrier.

Qantas and Jetstar began operating services to replace Australian Airlines' routes, with Jetstar International introduced in late 2006 to help expand the Qantas Group's international presence.

144_Rev_B763_AA_30A_zps0i4hpyjn.jpg

144_Rev_B763_AA_31_zpsypblntwz.jpg

144_Rev_B763_AA_32_zpsg8ooaonj.jpg

144_Rev_B763_AA_35_zpsmljjpvfd.jpg

144_Rev_B763_AA_33_zpsjaye45q0.jpg

144_Rev_B763_AA_38_zps0obljezp.jpg

• Like 30

Thanks all,

Draw Decal has a template for the 'wave' buried somewhere on their website. I downloaded it years ago (when I got the decal) but then went and just eyeballed the wave from reference pictures. I used the Tamiya flexible tape to mask the wave which worked really well.

I did manage to miss align the wave one the rear fuselage putting the demarcation a little too high resulting in squeezing the rego up a little closer to the window line than on the real jet.  So don't tell anyone :D

• Like 1

Another amazing model, Ray. Absolutely stunning! I'm interested on your in-depth comments on the Revell kit? I've heard the engines are a bit wrong and it sits funny (I see that on the side of the United boxing, looks like it's trying to pick up a coin off the ground!). What did you do to improve your kit involving those areas? Thanks, your's looks wonderful!

Drew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrewP said:

Another amazing model, Ray. Absolutely stunning! I'm interested on your in-depth comments on the Revell kit? I've heard the engines are a bit wrong and it sits funny (I see that on the side of the United boxing, looks like it's trying to pick up a coin off the ground!). What did you do to improve your kit involving those areas? Thanks, your's looks wonderful!

Drew

Thanks again all,

The kit engines are PW/GE hybrid I have been told. I made no mods this time around, just built it OOB. I was not aware of the 'sit' issues. It went together with little fuss.

Unfortunately I did not start to refer to reference pictures until after I had painted the engines, had I picked up the engine issue earlier I would have updated them like I did for my stalled DHL build.

DHL B767 engines prior to paint. I added the fence on the inboard side and the 'tab' on the bottom of the nacelle at the rear.

144_B767_DHL_06_zpszwphniei.jpg

• Like 1

Well done Ray, she's an absolute beauty :worthy: !

I have to agree with the others, this is a stunning colour scheme; the finish you have achieved here is breathtaking.

One of the most attractive airliner models I've seen.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1