Project 108 - WZ.897 A most unusual Sea Venom

NAVY870

Nice work. I would be inclined to build up the IP with Airscale bezels and decal faces. The Revell decal will look very two dimensional in this scale.

Martian

• Like 1

On 10/16/2016 at 9:31 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

No progress at the moment as my day job has me working 12 hour shifts for the next 3 weeks.

One thing I would like to share is a very special visitor to the museum.

Courtesy of my daughter Jessica and her partner Michael may I present my Granddaughter Lilly Rose Burns.

4 months old and she already has impeccable taste in aircraft.

14702334_10211365337515589_4065501740664

• Like 16

Awww cute (mandatory comment, coochy coos optional) :)

That's a very serious look on her face... what IS she thinking... "Hmmm, I'm not sure that's the right internal colour for that period"? "Is that bomb rack correct for the Mk II"?

• Like 1

On 14 October 2016 at 7:50 PM, Miggers said:

Buccaneers were also launched in the same way

I used to work on the sites for a while with a bloke who went off in a similar fashion as soon as the pub opened on a Friday lunchtime...

On 15 October 2016 at 10:52 AM, NAVY870 said:

So I'm thinking I'll be making a new one of them.

That's the spirit!

:king:

Looking at that cockpit shot is a chastening reminder that however hard modelling might be somebody:

a. had to design and integrate a working layout for all those different controls, and:

b. keep all those bits in working order.

Edited to add:

Aaw cute! Lily of the Hangar.

• Like 2

Ahoy Shipmates

Having a brief respite from the drudgery of working for a living I've managed to make some progress on 897.

I added the radio panel and master arm switch to the nose wheel arch and added the first upright for the radar rack.

The centre switch panel is from a Revell Hunter pit suitably hacked.

45_zps9lnnzsig.jpg

44_zpszcfiu9sp.jpg

The canopy bang handle and the aileron power disconnect handle still need to go on the back of the arch then it will be time to squirt some jam on.

The replacement instrument panel is becoming a proper pain. I measured up the one on the bench (did I mention I had a panel on my bench?)

13_zpsu3kt7ryb.jpg

If I convert the dimensions of it down to 332nd it puts the panel edge bang on the aircrafts centre line, all well and good but having a look in 897's office shows it extends  right 

across to be level with the right hand side of the wheel arch.

In the below shot the  windshield wiper is on the centre line and the lower instrument panel mount can be seen well to the right of it.

51_zpsmhrvzt2n.jpg

The little panel that sits behind the collimator swing arm turned out to bit a bit more complex than I thought 

50_zpsnjjvreau.jpg

I'll have to rethink how I was going to make it.

I got a few reference shots of our Ikara, it appears the release gear is identical to what 897 carried so I'll follow this one

46_zps9zcy7lyb.jpg

48_zpsuoualfj2.jpg

47_zpsudhxjuxl.jpg

49_zpsp2yvuqck.jpg

This was the top secret Ikara fitted with the highly classified Mark 44 1/2 cardboard tube torpedo. Everybody else got a Mark 44 we got a giant bog roll!

Now for those in the cheap seats making cheeky remarks about vacforms and the like I thought you'd like to see the view from my offices :)

52_zpsbdmhylbc.jpg

53_zpsypgqzifd.jpg

Ciao

• Like 9

Great pictures Steve and as well as the quality of your modelling, I love the standard of your restoration work.

Martian (watching from the cheap seats)

• Like 1

This build is a super reference Steve. Fancy being able to duck down the hanger and measure up a real IP. 

And hearty congrats on your granddaughter.

Andrew 

• Like 1

One of the biggest problems with this hobby of ours is its so smegging easy to get distracted and with this little lot hiding under the bench 

departures from our normal programming were always going to be a odd's on favourite!

56_zpsyrw8ogmv.jpg

No Lusty wont be joining us at this time nor will that resin pig of a thing.

Now regular viewers may have twigged that I have a soft spot for a certain deHavilland product that answers to WZ.895 from her friends and NAVY 870 when she's out tarting about.

Having had one of the Matchbox lovelies on the go for many many years and having quite the success with 897 I'm think why am I not making two sets of floors etc while I've got the

templates handy?

Voila

54_zpslyegvxiw.jpg

55_zpsvdo7jmdm.jpg

Now shipmates something for you to ponder. Even though they'll be built side by side (sort of) my pedantic circuit will be working overtime on 895 and

I would suggest that a second thread for her may be prudent. 

Thoughts?

• Like 8

Great work at 1/32 AND 1/1 :thumbsup2: 

Love that suave way you just toss a few shots of an Ikara in, as if there's nothing unusual in just having one about the place...:shocked:

You heard that our Martian has one now as well? A 1/32 Sea Venom that is, not an Ikara. Though he did mention he's been having some building work done recently, it's possible he's been trying to fit a Sea Vixen in the living room....:hmmm:

Tony

Edit: Your last post popped in as I was sending this etherwards Steve. A second Sea Venom thread? Seconded!!

• Like 1

I'd ask for separate threads Steve, or at least little numbered stand-up labels so poor old blokes like me can see which which is which. I'm easily confused :shutup: :(

Building both side by side makes for interesting comparisons as shown in Fritag's Hawk builds.

Just my opinion it's your builds.

Very nice work so far looking forward to more of the same

Roger 

I would go for separate threads, building two models of the same type in the same thread could get rather confusing at times, You could always add a comparison shot when you reach a point when the two builds differ markedly. It also might be easier for you from the point of view of putting your posts together.

Sensible advice given, I shall now return to my customary place with the unruly mob in the cheap seats!

Martian

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You heard that our Martian has one now as well? A 1/32 Sea Venom that is, not an Ikara. Though he did mention he's been having some building work done recently, it's possible he's been trying to fit a Sea Vixen in the living room....:hmmm:

It will be a little while before I get my thread under way as I have a few projects to clear from the bench first and a promised bonkers build to do post Telford. That said, I have been looking for a 1/32 project for a while and this fits the bill nicely and I am notorious for being unable to resist a new project. This will be a biggie as it will be getting the living daylights detailed out of it.

Martian

PS: If I was going to shoehorn anything into the new living room it would be a TSR2. Mrs Martian likes them so I might just get away with it!

• Like 1