Project 108 - WZ.897 A most unusual Sea Venom

NAVY870

19 hours ago, Miggers said:

How many of those lurking in that hanger are take outside and start upable Steve?.

Good work on that 'pit indeedy.

As is nowt.

The Venom needs a set of HEIU's before she'll start, the HV caps in the old ones have dried out and died.

Meteor needs some TLC and it will go as will the Wirraway and Bell 47.

The Firebox needs the cams looking at and all the flexible lines in the cooling system changed but given its rarity and historical

significance I would be reluctant to give her a kick in the guts, even though the chance to ground run a Firebox again is very tempting.

The Sea Fury may be a goer but its a sleeve valve and I know better than that!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

and a promised bonkers build to do post Telford. 

Oh look, somebody else mentioned they are going to Telford and muggins here misses out again.

If anybody wants me I'll be sulking in my office

_C139271_zpspo70qhrd.jpg

Or maybe this one

_A302813_zpsiczhocol.jpg

Or p'raps my Nowra residence

_1079398_zpsttxvprsp.jpg

B)

• Like 10

I thought it was the Poms that were supposed to do the whinging!

Why not try and get over next year? Gill and I can help with accommodation booking and put you up pre and post show for a bit. There are some cracking aviation museums within an easy drive of us including the Fleet Air Arm museum which would be right up your street. (Genuine invite)

In the meantime, stop moaning and get on with the build. :whip:

Martian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So after a month of not posting any progress I'll have to come clean and admit to doing slightly south of sod all.

To make matters worse I'm going to have to put this and a few other projects on hold for some time (don't nobody tell Frank!)

But Dear readers I have a hopefully acceptable excuse that will excuse me from public humiliation and floggings.

The opportunity to aquire two somewhat shop soiled airframes has arisen and will allow WZ.897 to become a complete possibly 

functioning aeroplane once again. However I'm on a time limit to get the things moved and that will be taking up a lot of my time.

Photo's will of course be posted.

Some very good news re WZ.895 may be forthcoming in the near future as well. 

• Like 9

Well, that sounds like a vaguely acceptable reason to stop the humiliation, but I thought everybody likes a good flogging:wicked:

I also agree with Martian; separate builds with comparison pictures! (Lots!)

Christian, exiled further south 

• Like 1

I suppose we can let you off for just a little while as long as you post pictures of the real aircraft you are getting. Not too long though or we shall have to get Danni on to you. Scary enough?

Martian

Any excuse to play with his toys rather than do some REAL work. :pilot:I suppose we might let you take a sabbatical considering they are Venom bits you are nicking. We will be expecting a fully detailed report, and you will need to catch up in your own time. Unpaid, of course.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Amazing what you find under trees 

_C192359_zpscctn9kax.jpg

_C192354_zpsc11j9w7c.jpg

One reasonably complete set of Sea Venom inner wings, these will be following me home soonish and will be going onto 897 after a spot

of cleaning and painting.

Remember the instrument panel that appeared earlier in the thread? It looked like this when I first got it

_1129510_zpsaiyapls1.jpg

All done and ready to go back where it belongs (and yes it all works)

_C052223_zps6fionhsk.jpg

• Like 13

Pump up the tyres, and some T-Cut - good as new. You are lucky with the dry climate. Anything like that over here would be corroded to hell.

Looks like they will be a BIG step forward for 897. That panel looks the dogs too.

Rolled the wings over preparing for transport only to discover they had been removed with an angle grinder.

Because the way the wing is built it would require a respar to repair. Nice bit of preservation work there.

Crap - lousy news on the inner wings. Can you laminate a couple million sheets of 10 thou styrene to make a new spar? As others have stated, that IP is the dog's whatsnots. If only mine looked like that in 1:72 scale...

Cheers,

Bill

• 3 months later...

Little bit of a twilight zone moment today.

This model is of WZ.897 (Obviously) from a kit that featured another RAN Sea Venom WZ.902.

Today whilst sorting parts I've been putting aside all the bits I think 897 will need when I finally get a set

of wings built for her.

3 of the parts I grabbed were 2 lower wing attachment covers and a cover for the canopy gun, gave them a quick once over

and that was that.

Later for some unknown reason I had a look to see what aircraft they had come from.

_4292870_zpsfgfel1kp.jpg

_4292917_zps4qnrmzuo.jpg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

So presumably that pile of bits you dug out of the Bush is what's left of 902?

The two I got out of the bush cant be named until ownership is sorted.

The bits from 902 were obtained by the Museum founders from the Simmsmetal scrap yard in 1967

before it and its kin were scrapped

Interestingly we have bits from WZ.906 that featured in the original Frog kit and the Revell release of the Matchbox

kit.

So when all this lot is finished the complete aircraft will be the one featured in the Classic Airframe's kit with the wings and rear

end of the aircraft featured in Southern Skies latest decal sheet with sundry components from aircraft featured in the Frog Novo CMR

and Revell kits.

Not sure if there's some cosmic significance there or somebody taking the mick!

• Like 5

This has to be the only build I've followed that started as a kit and turned into the real aircraft after a few pages!

Tony

PS. That's not a complaint either....:D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...