Contrail

hampden80

No but I've built their Hendon and I found that it was not difficult - just the usual problems associate with vacuforms. It was a long time ago but I found it enjoyable.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/thread/1243132577/A+1-72+Contrail+Vacuform+Fairey+Hendon+I+built+around+16+years+ago+>%3B

Edited by MilneBay

Those kits have got to be very difficult to get hold of at present. Probably at bit pricey too, particularly the Virginia. The Hyderabad and the Hiniadi can be kit bashed using the Airfix 0/400 as the main donor kit.

Regards, Steve

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34041

Edited by stevehed
more info
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Contrail kits are a mixed bag , some of these kits  were "upgraded" between reissues , and so from memory the Hinaidi and the Hyderabad kits were a step up in quality from the Virginia . The kits I have of the HP aircraft are title Hyderabad , the instructions illustrate both this and the Hinaidi , the differences being engines , fin/rudder and a  5 degree sweep back on the out wings . The kits include a small assortment of plastic strut , white metal radial engines , props and U/C legs etc. , one set of decals which are for an in service Hinaidi and optional fin and rudder in plastic . Not included are Lion engines . The U/C legs seem to be a bit one sided and the props are four bladed , now I think the Lions had 4 bladed props and the Jupiters were 2 bladed . The Virginia kit was a whole different ball game as you in fact get  , kits for five different aircraft in one box , and enough parts to build them all . From  memory there are two different marks of Virginia bomber ( V11 and X ) and three of transports a Victoria and two Valentia ,  some white metal generic radial engines two blade props , some extruded plastic wheels, exhausts and U/C legs , most of which I would think needs replacing either from spares box , Aeroclub or scratch building , a decal sheet is included . There were also optional parts for a third type of Valentia  .

Edited by NZKIWI
Correction of facts and spelling .
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, NZKIWI said:

The Virginia kit was a whole different ball game as you in fact get  , kits for five different aircraft in one box , and enough parts to build them all . From  memory there are two different marks of Virginia bomber ( V11 and X ) and three of transports a Victoria and two Valentia ,  some white metal generic radial engines two blade props , some extruded plastic wheels, exhausts and U/C legs , most of which I would think needs replacing either from spares box , Aeroclub or scratch building , a decal sheet is included . There were also optional parts for a third type of Valentia  .

I happen to have the instruction sheet to hand. You're right, except that one of the Valentias is a gunship. There's also an extra bit to enable a Valentia to be done as 'sky shouter' which I presume is some sort of megaphone. (Someone built all but the Victoria X and kindly gave me the leftovers as I've been looking for the set for ages and tend to drop off the Ebay lottery once it passes the £40.00 mark-last one I saw go was more than 200 quid, which is ludicrous).

One thing to be aware of for the original poster, many Contrail kits are light on interior detail, and for the Virginia etc boxing you're largely on your own. Good starting point though, and much easier than complete scratchbuilding.

Paul.

Light on interior detail is generous to say the least.Lol. I do however find building vacuform kits much more relaxing than regular kits. I always feel like i have really built a model when i am done. I know a lot of people avoid them like the plague, but you can have a lot of fun building one.

John

• Like 2