1/72 Hawker Tempest Vintage Clostermann - with tea tray in bed .

On 13 October 2016 at 9:22 AM, CedB said:

And, er, there's no guide as to what colour to paint his helmet

He's French. It's an air-beret, not a helmet surely...:blink:

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

wedding anniversary today, so we're having a slap up feast delivered, from the subtly named: 'Mrs. Punjab

Hearty congrats to you and Mrs Tiger Tony! I hope you guys had a great meal. Kudos for slipping-in a Forbidden Planet reference - great film AND soundtrack.

The Ottomans really had sybaritic furnishings down pat in my book. Fond memories of an assortment of poufs at my grandmother's house (though she always referred to them in the heavily-Gallicized (for which read self-consciously middle-class) form as 'pouffe'. If lined-up it was possible to use them as stepping stones to traverse the length of the hall.

I'm no help at all on your modelling queries....sorry!

Tony

• Like 2

Happy Anniversary!

Research is good IMHO, interesting. I'm quite a Clostermann fan too having built his MH526 and BS358 as a dual build for the Spitfire STGB II earlier this year. 

OOB or with bits? Your model and whatever makes you happy, especially as, sadly, you're not at your best at the moment...

Pouf or poufee? I guess it depends on how 'posh' you're trying to be... you can tell, depending on whether it's next to the sofa, settee or couch. If you want to see if you're 'posh' or not, try this quiz (I got 3 out of 10!)

I withdraw my worries about you making the bed messy with sanding etc. If you're 'having an Indian' I think you're asking for trouble! Have you considered having an English'? 

Enjoy!

• Like 3

Hello chaps :)

Thank you for the great feedback :thumbsup2: .

I call it a 'pouf', I didn't know about 'pouffe'; is the 'e' on the end pronounced for that version?

Poo fey? (Which in itself, for two three letter words simply placed together, suggests interesting concepts ;) ).

This is BritModeller classic stuff now, 'Defining one's perceived social status with regard to Ottoman furniture; are you a pouf or pouffe person? Discuss' :D !

Well, however we look at it, a wonderfully designed and much overlooked piece of furniture.

Tony (TheBaron)'s capers using them as stepping stones actually rings a bell. One ringing painfully in the ears.

This is a  childhood wheeze absolutely bursting with risk.

If the poufs are on a polished wooden floor, and one's foot hits the next pouf in the chain too far aft of centre, the pouf slides forwards.

The result is invariably a twisted ankle, combined with fallling backwards and bashing the back of one's skull, hard on the wooden floor.

That kind of head wallop where, for a while, time stands still, and there is a high pitched keening/whistling noise in the head. 

Yes, that really rings a bell :hmmm:

Given the rather portly lump I am these days, and pondering the relative shapes and sizes/ages of other BritModellers; my mental 'visual' of a 'BritModeller pouf stepping stone challenge' is amusing to say the least :D !

We would need St. John's ambulance staff at the ready, without a doubt. :o .

A big Dalek tray John? In principle a far kinder gift than a tray of fading finches, but much more of a worry in case of paint spillage. I can only be pecked, you could be exterminated :dalek: .

Oooh look, I got to use it in context!

Ced, the video of 'going for an English' is hilarious. Twelve bread rolls and twenty four portions of chips! An extra large toad, in the hole :rofl: !

I did the 'posh' quiz. My score was 6. I have since spent time pondering a new location for the sofa, Tiger Towers doesn't have a drawing room. Maybe we'll have to build an extension for a drawing room, and put the sofa in there.

I can see a down side, in that there would then be a distinct lack of seating in the lounge. Moreover, would we put our poufs; in the drawing room or lounge :shrug: ?

All the important questions are here on BritModeller, this is just one more such example.

The 'Indian' was very nice. I chose the obligatory and safe Onion Bhaji, followed by Potato and Peas curry, accompanied by a Keema Nan. Basmati rice was enjoyed by all :eat:.

Other dishes included Lamb Vindaloo and Butter Chicken. Poppadums and pickles were present.

None was spilt on the bed, but of course, I managed to get a nice strong curry stain on my shirt.

Never mind :) .

I did some more googling and decided to purchase some Xtradecal Sky codes and a pair of resin CMK Tempest four spoke, smooth type II wheels/tyres.

I used 'Story Models' as the postage from the UK to Oz was very fair. Most places, even for such a light and tiny order, will charge a minimum of e.g. £12.50. When transferred to the Aussie pocket, that conceptually feels like £25.00.

I hope 'Story Models' are ok.

I decided against exhaust stacks; it will delay things. Transfers and wheels go on at the end, so no reason to procrastinate any further now.

I hope you're all having a good weekend

Best regards 

TonyT

Edit: John, my apologies; a 'Tardis' tray, not a Dalek tray. I think I was too eager to use the Dalek emoticon :D !

If something goes wrong on your Tardis tray, you should be able to go back in time to before the spillage, breakage, horrendous scalpel wound etc :thumbsup2: .

T

• Like 7

12 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Welcome on board Giorgio good to have you here :) . Pull up a seat, a pouf 

Hey, I had one of those when I was a kid! :D  :D  Great research activities going on here, BTW :clap:  :worthy: 

Ciao

Ooops! And happy anniversary too :clap: 

Edited by giemme

On 15 October 2016 at 7:33 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

been googling for Sky code transfers in 1/72 and many manufacturers produce them

I just saw these bobbing about in the 'bay Tony but suspect they are too early to be of use on a Tempest?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152282550890 

Tony

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Hey, I had one of those when I was a kid! :D  :D  Great research activities going on here, BTW :clap:  :worthy: 

Ciao

Ooops! And happy anniversary too :clap: 

Grazie Giorgio :) 

I must say that research on military history, it is made very pleasurable by the help and input of BritModellers. The 'hive mind' here is incredible.

I'm quite sure we're enthusiastic about our 'bit more than a' hobby. :D . It's a great forum :) 

Ciao Giorgio :bye: 

TonyT

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I just saw these bobbing about in the 'bay Tony but suspect they are too early to be of use on a Tempest?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152282550890 

Tony

Thanks for looking Tony :thumbsup2: 

I clicked on the link but it says:

"Item removed" :( .

My order to Story Models isn't complete yet as I had to use a messaging system.  I doubt I'll hear from them until late tomorrow, so until I do, as Tom Waits used to say, I'm "open to suggestions" :D 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqrKZc51H0k&list=PLN4iuKdspbOxF6_5kfD9YOZrSr78nAinb

ATB

TonyT

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Thanks for looking Tony :thumbsup2: 

I clicked on the link but it says:

"Item removed" :( .

Gah! :doh:

Try this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72-Almark-RAF-Sky-Type-36-Squadron-Code-Letters-/152282548293?hash=item2374bf4845:g:cVkAAOSwh2xYA24C

I'd forgotten 'copy' function in the dammned iPad app doesn't copy an actual url. I swear I'd be quicker on semaphore some days....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm quite sure we're enthusiastic about our 'bit more than a' hobby. :D . It's a great forum :) 

Agreed 100% (both things :winkgrin:  )

Ciao

Edit: I noticed only after re-reading your post the propre use of Italian language! :thumbsup:  :speak_cool: 

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2016 at 5:13 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

All kits in the Drawer of Doom were put there for a reason. There's the rub. I noticed something important is missing.

Can you spot what it is? No, the answer is not 'detail :D !

Cockpit canopy?

Ah, Sean got there days ago!

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

Pouffes, all the rage around our part of Oz in the seventies,although

our stepping stones were on lino, no wooden floors for us! 

As for the tray, I think we had a set, tray, table mats and coasters,

no expense spared in our house. (except for flooring)

Just realised we're on page 3 and no sign of glue, nevermind, the 

banter's good.

• Like 3

With this new forum thingie I keep getting notifications to threads that I've never seen before, some of which when I visit I really hope never to see again. However, some are gems that I'm so glad not to have missed and that I then have to read through from the start - this is one of those! I haven't laughed so much since our cat rolled over & fell off the kitchen table yesterday (he was fine, he's a cat, he landed on his feet. I thought it was hilarious. At least until SWMBO clouted me!) 

Absolutely wonderful thread so far Tony, looking forward to more - particularly liked the conversation with Alf! 

And, of course, seeing the Tempest come together will be good. I suspect it will look rather better than the one I built when it was still a cutting edge new release...!!

Keith

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 09/10/2016 at 19:39, TonyTiger66 said:

I am going to construct this kit whilst in my bed. On the only tea tray we have. 

Ah, that brings back memories of when I was a sickly child, often bed-prone for long periods with my weak asthmatic chest. I would amuse myself when the books ran out with building a 1/72 aeroplane, either a FROG or an Airfix kit, in bed. Or attempt to, at least. Painting was usually not permitted - and I don't recall a tea-tray being used for the purpose, either! But that might just be my poor memory: I can imagine that mum would have been rather cross if I had got glue all over the sheets and blankets. When I got healthier as I got older, my model-making migrated to an old but large table brought into my bedroom for the purpose of making models on - it being old and scrappy, it didn't matter if I got paint and gliue over it, or occasionally set fire to it when stretching sprue (the latter didn't acutally happen ;)). Happy memories of a Beaufighter, Mosquito figher-bomber, and possibly a DH Hornet. There were no doubt others.

Cheers,
Alex.

• Like 2

On 15/10/2016 at 5:51 PM, stevehnz said:

Fwiw, I wouldn't worry about the wheels or 'xorsts, buff off some rivets, make everything else as tidy as possible & you're good to go. I believe the Typhoon & Tempest cokpits were IGG up to about waist level & black above there. Imho, NV994 is the plane to go for, altogether more "authentic" & not just a show pony.

Steve.

I should have listened to Steve.

My sincere apologies for the gap in posting.

As alluded to previously; the need to recharge the mojo batteries. A trickle charge seems to be taking slight effect, that,combined with the arrival of some bits and pieces has the bird tray out again.

Get on with it Tiger!!! I know, I know :shutup: .

I went ahead and ordered a set of wheels from Storey Models.

I was a little concerned as all pictures I could find of these on the internet only showed the back. I had no idea if they would really have the type II spoke pattern I was after. Every flipping picture on Evilbay, internet shops aplenty etc. shows this side:

30767986755_8cebd2e23d_b.jpg

My usual oasis of modelling joy, BNA, had even less helpful pictures and were, as you can see, bereft of the desired wheels:

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-planes-landing-gear-cmk-cmk-q72053

After much thumb twiddling and watching of other people's builds, weeks of itching to get on with it, they arrived.

Do they look right 👀???

Can I possibly contribute an image to 1/72 Tempest fans, that may help those with the same wheel fetish as I:

30132527703_6543aa95a2_b.jpg

Yes :). Ooh, suits you sir!

Also, after actually listening to Steve for a change, the fruits of an earlier suggestion arrived. A splendid box full of goodies all the way from Tasman models, via my wife's home town of Invercargill, New Zealand:

Bits and bobs

Including, most importantly, this:

Bits and bobs

It says they are for 'Most Model Kits'. I hope they'll be ok for my old Revell :confused: ?

Two canopies are included, safely packed with a really comprehensive and helpful instruction sheet;

Bits and bobs

I love unpacking things, surely a close up is in order. Incidentally that's my old scarf as a background on the bird tray. Only the best display and presentation materials on this thread, no expense spared :) !

Bits and bobs

Hmmm. Nice. Clear and sparkly. I feel Mr. Falcon of the Land of the Long White Cloud may have had something to do with these.

I recognise his work.

"Your eyes, I make your eyes" 👀 (name the film, anyone?).

I see Blu-Tack and a scriber in my future.

The final thing I bought. Paints.

At the start of this thread I stated that I would most probably be using LifeColor acrylics. Hmmm. I love them, but realised I had no interior green of any kind.

I started paint shopping on the internet and I was cornered by an extremely clever marketing strategy by Hataka:

30731213146_124615e737_b.jpg

They have obviously been reading this thread and, desperate to sell another six bottles in order to pay their arrears to the milk man, issued boxes of paints with the picture of exactly the aircraft I'm building on the front of the box! :o !

Those bounders! What incredible tactical advertising. Now you know what the cookies on BritModeller are for! To help pay Hataka's milk and laundry bills, not to mention when they get a bit behind with the newsagent (they like the Angling Times :fish: ).

Now I really have no excuse. I will be making NV994, not the 'show pony'.

I believe NV994 is one of the options in the rather stunning looking new Special Hobby 1/32 kit? How I wish I had room for that.

Talking of room, as we know from other threads, Mrs. T. is known for finding useful things at our local Salvation Army charity shop. This week it was a display cabinet for my modelling 'area' (the front veranda).

As I haven't completed anything this year, I have cluttered it up with this year's embarrassingly unfinished Group Build entries and my I-16 trio. Also in there are a few other stalled builds, and a kit to take my Vignette in a more authentic direction:

Bits and bobs

I realise it isn't exactly a Wedgewood piece, nor is it something trendy by IKEA (god forbid), perhaps called a 'Kläppdøse', but it will more than suffice for my humble display needs for the foreseeable future.

My self psychology here is that by cluttering it like this; I'll be forced to finish these to tidy it up. That's the theory :whistle: .

Thanks for being there folks. It really is time for a KUTA. Glue will be spilt soon. A pilot has been found. 

All best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Storey models for the wheels.
  • Like 14

+1 to what Giemme said :).

Out of 'likes' again, but consider your post 'liked'. I am going to have another little 'holiday' from the forum, but will be doling out 'likes' in the background (once the rice and mats have treadmilled me some more overnight - I hope).

Nice goodies there :).

A.

• Like 2

Great collection of new goodies Tony and I'm glad it's restored the mojo a bit... and pleased to hear you're feeling a bit better :)

Isn't Mrs T kind, buying you display cabinets? A keeper that one, obviously!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

"Your eyes, I make your eyes" 👀 (name the film, anyone?).

'You Nexus huh?' :lol:

Splendid reboot on the thread Tony - you're back in style and loaded with goodies. This can only get better.

Interested to see how you get on later with those Hataka paints. I've see can a few of their sets around but not any builds done with them so far.

Nice one!

Tony.

• Like 1

Thank you folks :) !

6.45 am here in upside down land.🙃.

Mrs. T just brought in my morning pint of tea and battle with the kit will commence shortly. :fight: .

Yes Ced, I'm very lucky in that Mrs. T really is quite positive about my plastic modelling aspirations. A very lucky chap. I hope I can get just one completed and in the display cabinet before New Year's Eve. :pray: . I have found a few 'crash landed' models. One or two of those possibly may make it. :pilot: 

You are right Tony, one of my favourite films of all time; 'Bladerunner'. 

How a pair of 'Falcon' crystal clear Tempest canopies reminded me of genetically engineered eyes, I do not know 👀.

"If only you could see the things that I have seen, with your eyes"

So many great lines :) .

Have a great Sunday night people :bye: 

TonyT

• Like 3

On 17/10/2016 at 09:32, sean said:

Pouffes, all the rage around our part of Oz in the seventies,although

our stepping stones were on lino, no wooden floors for us! 

We have (had) a pouffe1 too - possibly from Sandbank, Scotland, although maybe not. If not, then some Sydney emporium or other. Had better check with the Boss. I was made to take it (back) to the Father-in-Law's place the other day, as the coffee table that it conveniently fitted under - perfectly - has been reassigned to do duty as a repository for guinea-pig maintenance utensils. It doesn't fir under the coffee tables much smaller (in all dimensions) replacement. And I get told off for putting my back hoofs up on it - where once I use to be able to use the pouffe without reproach :badmood:.

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooh smashing. 

Hopefully not Mr Tiger's nice cabinet!

Ah... Blade Runner. I wish to acquire this on DVD or Blu-Ray - but the Boss didn't like it, so that's the end of that :(.

Glad to see that you have contrived to become operational again, Mr T (coincidentally, what we used to call our oboe teacher at the Con - wildly different name, though).

Cheers,

A :sheep:

1 Illiterate braindead macOS 'dictionary' dunt know about 'pouffe' - or 'pouffes'. Or 'dunt', neiver. Or neiver, neiver. Stupid thing. I give up.

• Like 3

Hey guys, got a late comer to this shin-dig... I remember building this when I was still in single figure age! It was one of the few models I remember being happy with, the other being the Matchbox Dooleybird Mustang.  Anyhow, I'll be along for the ride if you'll have me? I bought this kit again to give it another go, God knows when.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

ps... Pouf or pouffe debate... I always thought it was "Poof"... Then again I do live in Essex :P

• Like 4

Quite a haul of goodies TT,  onwards with the Tempest then....:clap2:.

Blade Runner, will Rutger Hauer do anything as good again?

(Well apart from The Hitcher, because that's a brilliant film...)

Well done Mrs T, no doubt a spur to galvanise your modelling juices, she's definitely a keeper  ....:kissing2:

On 11/21/2016 at 3:46 AM, AlexN said:

repository for guinea-pig maintenance utensils

Not something you read everyday..............

Sean

• Like 2