1/72 Hawker Tempest Vintage Clostermann - with tea tray in bed .

Hello all :) 

I haven't attempted any modelling for a long time as I've been a little immobile.

Well the boredom is driving me mad, mad I tell you :mental: .

In the past I have referred to my self psychology 'worry kit' approach. To recap briefly, if the project I'm working on gets too difficult, to refresh my mojo  I have a few old kits secreted around the bench.

These are normally old Frog, Revell, old raised panel line Airfix, Italeri and the like. It's may seem strange I should call them 'worry kits', but they serve the same purpose as 'worry balls'.

Here are some worry balls:

Worry balls

Basically one fondles the balls in the hand, until one feels a sense of release from worry :) .

'Worry kits' are approached in the same manner; One fondles the plastic, may even build a bit, until the worry is gone, mojo returned.

After a period away from the bench, the wind, wife, children and little green people have turned it into a horror beyond description.

29517144153_a0305d6e14_b.jpg

Eek. 

30145872155_a256834eea_b.jpg

Oh dear :shutup: 

29517465234_a961cd6009_b.jpg

So that's where my 'tens' machine is :hmmm: .

30145835065_c8486cc9d6_b.jpg

Trapped in a forest of clamps 🌳 🌳. :S .

In there are 3 current group build subjects, a 'too late' group build subject, and a rather long term WIP threesome.

I decided it would be good to tidy it all up, get everything back in order and recommence. :) .

After half an hour I found myself laying on the floor, sweating and groaning (nothing new there then), calling for Mrs. Tiger. 

A peppermint tea and shuffle to the bedroom later I realised a rethink was necessary.

Time for a worry kit.

A little shuffle back to the bench, and I pulled it out. A little green one in a bag.

It's a Revell 1962 Hawker Tempest. I have no box, but it has instructions and original decals.

I found in the bag a set of decals I placed there long ago, for 'Le Grand Charles', one of the Tempest Mk. V aircraft flown by Pierre Clostermann.

I am going to construct this kit whilst in my bed. On the only tea tray we have. 

It it is quite the most lurid, old and disconcerting tea tray I have ever seen.

One of my favourite large local fish and chip trays will also be used to, I hope, prevent the tray from sending us all boz-eyed :hypnotised: .

All very high-tech and tasteful. :shrug: 

Photographs next.

Meanwhile I found this on 'Pinterest' with no copyright information. I find it rather inspiring:

30121320501_2b5f15be92.jpg

In the interim, could anyone please impart any information on just how inaccurate this kit may be?

I will be doing it OOB (out of the bin), and very likely hand painting with Lifecolor acrylics.

For a change, it will have a pilot. Just for fun :) .

Thanks for reading folks 

Have a nice Sunday :bye: 

TonyT

• Like 14

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Here are some worry balls:

I'd be worried too if my balls were that colour....:tomato:

..glad the peppermint tea got you sorted though. :thumbsup2: 

Love the idea of seeing a 60s Revell kit resurrected - you've mentioned the idea of a 'worry' build before, a smashing piece of psychology. I have worry-cider for much the same reasons...

Just a thought, but are there any public service surplus auctions near you that you might be able to pick-up cheap one of those hospital trolley/tray things on wheels that they use to serve your food on? This kind of thing:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Adjustable-Wheeled-Overbed-Tray-Table-Tilt-Medical-Hospital-Bed-Laptop-Bedside-/302062888809?hash=item465459e769:g:KJEAAOSwvzRXzcMv

Might be just the ticket for a resting modeller?

Hope you have a good Sunday too mate. Good luck with Clostermann!

Tony

• Like 4

Good on ya Tony, keep modelling in bed. Got to keep the old pecker up. Don't let it get you down.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Hope you feel better soon mate.

Happy modelling. 

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks everyone :thumbsup: .

It's still dark here (4.32am; just woke up), so no photographs yet.

@TheBaron thank you for the tip, and very informative link on the tray. All meant in the best possible taste I know. :thumbsup2: . I do appreciate it.  I also have an extremely dark and absurd sense of humour. ;) .

The thing is Tony, by the time I got to picture number 7, of 'Mrs. Grady, Little Old Lady' smiling manically at her lamb cobbler, I started to wonder if we had any handy rope in the house :hanging: ?

:rofl: 

I can't help thinking that one mustn't get too comfortable in repose. That something has to be there to subtly nudge one back out of the cot, and into the path of life's oncoming traffic once more.

The odd scorpion dropped into the bed by the wife, that kind of thing.

A little later I will take some photographs.

Meanwhile a very optimistic Belgian has saved me a little trouble; the link below is to exactly the same kit (15 Euros my a@$e :o!) .

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/252336776115?_mwBanner=1

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Ah.. a golden oldie, build it, paint it, stickers and then the ceiling. Obviously Mrs Tiger will

have to hang it for you, but think of the view!:rolleyes:

12 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Basically one fondles the balls in the hand, until one feels a sense of release from worry :) .

Works for me too...my missus says I worry a lot..;)*

Sean

*Seriously, isn't everybody going to quote this

• Like 3

I shall look in occasionally to see how you're getting on Tony. As far as the kit is concerned, from memory it goes together OK, I built one in my pre youth, ie before other things caught my interest. ;) but it is somewhat rivet encrusted, so a gentle massage with some fine wet & dry or a sanding pad is recommended, seeing as Tempests were smooth as a baby's behind, also the rockets are incorrect for a Tempest, they were trialled only I believe or maybe used post war, WW2 Tempest sqns were too busy chasing V1s & then Me 262s to be bothered with Tiger tanks etc. Long range tanks were about all that hung under their wings but I don't think this kit has any so best go bare. Of course, you could just ignore all that & build it OOB, just because you could.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
the right word. :(
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I shall look in occasionally to see how you're getting on Tony. As far as the kit is concerned, from memory it goes together OK, I built one in my pre youth, ie before other things caught my interest. ;) but it is somewhat rivet encrusted, so a gentle massage with some fine wet & dry of a sanding pad is recommended, seeing as Tempests were smooth as a baby's behind, also the rockets are incorrect for a Tempest, they were trialled only I believe or maybe used post war, WW2 Tempest sqns were too busy chasing V1s & then Me 262s to be bothered with Tiger tanks etc. Long range tanks were about all that hung under their wings but I don't think this kit has any so best go bare. Of course, you could just ignore all that & build it OOB, just because you could.

Steve.

Thanks everyone for looking in and for some humorous comments :D !

Thanks Steve, that information helps with a few things that have been puzzling me, before I get too far into it.

I have had a good look at it now. As you say, lots of rivets, but nowhere near as bad as say, the older 1/72 Airfix Hurricane (although I really liked the shape of that kit, more so than the new one), or the old Airfix B-25 or Revell B-24.

The rudder has some really trench like ribbing; I'm pretty sure it must be wrong :shrug: ?

The kit does have underwing tanks, but I can't find any photographs of Clostermann's aircraft with them fitted.

Thanks too about the rockets. For such an old kit they're quite nicely mounded so will make a useful addition to the spares box :) .

All in all I'm very impressed by this 54 year old kit!

One of the first kits I ever built was the Revell Brewster Buffalo. That came up on 'that' auction site for AUD$9.00 last week, mint in sealed bag, so that could be next.

I feel a lot of nostalgia building ahead; my memory may be failing, but I seem to remember that parts on these old kits actually fit together fairly well?

Well, onwards!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5

Righty ho,

So this introduction to the bits and bobs is a bit heavy on photographs, but after this post I'll try to keep it down a little more.

Also I must apologise for the quality of the photographs. All are taken, in all honesty, in a bed in artificial light, and it's far from ideal :S .

I am using the iPhone 7 for the first time and getting used to it. It has a great screen and camera(s), but I'm a terrible photographer, so advice on manual settings etc is most welcome.

Shadows are a pest at the moment. Well, not Hank Marvin's lot personally, but you know what I mean :D .

First, to set the scene; probably the oldest, scruffiest, most battered and worn, least tasteful laminated tray in the antipodes; my work area for this build. :shutup: .

Revell Tempest: The bird tray.

From now on I will refer to it as 'The bird tray'.

Before we move on, to elucidate;

From left to right:

Jason's Firefinch.

Swee Waxbill.

Blue Waxbill.

All look like finches to me, the name of the fiery red one being a giveaway. Fortunately for all of us, I'm going to cover them up with a great big polystyrene fish and chip tray.

The best local fish and chip emporium (there are a lot of good ones around here to be honest), in the opinion of the Tiger family, is the 'Lota Takeaway'.

https://g.co/kgs/afW8gX

Lovely people, freshly cooked (food, not the people), and very handy trays for modelling in (and out) of bed, and covering twee, distracting, random finches;

Fish and chip tray

Apologies for the colour splotches, this tray has seen action with an Amodel I-16 :confused: .

Now I am experiencing my first problem.

Somehow, taking the next batch of photographs, I managed to press a 'live' option. Pretty effect though it may be, I feel it is more for flowers swaying gently in the breeze, than for a close up of a 54 year old Revell plastic Tempest rudder :shrug: ?

So now I must take my leave for a while and convert these moving pictures into stills. Then Flickr may like them, then I can put them here :photo: .

Thanks for reading so far folks, sorry it's only been trays, finches and fish and chips. :confused: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 10

Hey, Tony, good to see you back in the saddle, as it were. Maybe that live option on the camera could be used when you get the prop spinning?

39 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Apologies for the colour splotches, this tray has seen action with an Amodel I-16

Looks like it got off lightly!   :)

• Like 1

Nice Bird Tray Tony... I think I know why it was available for modelling...

iPhone 7 eh? Nice. I've resisted the Apple envy this year but I have had a play with 'live pictures' on my 6S. A bit like the first time I had a video camera I spent a frustrating few minutes trying to get people to MOVE while I was taking a shot... and then had to suffer the "Yes dear, very nice" comments on replay. Honestly, some people just don't get scientific advances...

Looking forward to the Tempest and I hope it's helping with the recovery :)

• Like 1

I too have developed an instant attraction to that tray Tony. Most calming.

I must confess the 'Live' function is a new and particularly purposeless function on me. Now it will be possible for us to keep those priceless 'Feck-sake' moments when we move a finger over the lens or bitterly harangue relatives for squinting.

:photo::whip:

The only thing I can think it useful for would be if it gave the option to record in a loop. That way lies is a perfect method of monitoring in which direction any PE parts have pinged-off, with a view to retrieval....

Hope you're enjoying your Revellry!:D

• Like 2

Good heavens :o !

I've only been away for my dinner and it's become very busy in here!

The smoke, clinking of glasses, click of snooker balls, rustling of newspapers from the chaps over by the fireside, and occasional shriek as someone gets a stray dart in the foot :D !

Hang on, I've just got to get a pint of Mild :beer: ,

:whistle: 

Hello Alf. Busy eh? Hmm. 

Did I tell you there's this great proposal for a Spanish Civil War Group Build going on?

What?

A pint, Alf, not a half. Yes, with a handle.

Yes, a pickled egg. Salt Alf, salt, not sugar!

Anyway, they only need one more bod, and it seems the old tortilla fest could make it to the vote!

Who would have thought it, eh?

Yes, 20, filters, and a box of Swan Vestas.

That's got a bit of a head on it :o !

The address, pass me that beer mat and I'll write it down for you.

Prizes? A book I hear and a few bits of kits; usual rubbish...

There you go: 

No: *Brit* Modeller. Nothing to do with ornithology or human anatomy.

What are this shower in for anyway? It's as full as a sack of puppies!

Clostermann! Ah. Him and that Tempest. Loud thing that. Shifts you know.

The French didn't want to know about him until he came here Alf.

Hmm. Yes he's a good type. Loud though, that Tempest. Flush rivets? Where? What would you want me to flush some rivets for?

Ah, sorry, a bit loud. 

Yes, completely different wing to Tiffie. Mmmm. What's in these sarnies Alf? 

What :o ! It smells nothing like it, more like salmon if you ask me!

Carbon Monoxide poisoning? Probably about the same as you'd get in this place tonight Alf.

On fire? Extinguishers at the ready? :rofl:  Embarrasing eh :jump_fire:?

No, that'll be all Alf, I've just got to go and pick up some snaps for these chaps. Yes, colour.

Alright then, just wrap it up in that serviette. No, Mrs. T doesn't need one today. 

Well the last one turned to jelly after two days!

See you later. No. No, really I've no room in my pockets.......

Clostermann JF-E

What do you say Pierre? 

Pickled egg old chap.

What?

I can't reach up there!  

My hands are full.

Eh? Have you been scribbling on your kite again? Nerves that is. Who is Charles anyway?

Right. Well, I'll pop round the port side, you lean over and you can have this one.

It might be a little sweet. Nothing to worry about. :) 

;) 

T

• Like 6

On 10/10/2016 at 7:32 AM, sean said:

Ah.. a golden oldie, build it, paint it, stickers and then the ceiling. Obviously Mrs Tiger will

have to hang it for you, but think of the view!:rolleyes:

Works for me too...my missus says I worry a lot..;)*

Sean

*Seriously, isn't everybody going to quote this

You haven't seen Mrs. Tiger's bloomers. :o 

I hope :confused: ?

People have been known to lose their minds :frantic: .

:D 

T

• Like 2

'Pickled Eggs and Bloomers'. Wasn't that on the B-Side of Strategic Rug's first EP?  Came in a 9-panel gatefold IIRC that could be used as a festival tent in an emergency. Mine got damp at a bazouki festival in Wales in the mid-80s and formed a papier mâché sarcophagus overnight from which I had to be released by the fire brigade in the morning...I've been terrified of Welsh people carrying cardboard ever since.

• Like 5

Righty ho,

A 53 year old kit, a tea tray. Some finches. A fish and chip tray. Bed. Poor lighting. Scalpels. Saws. Twine. 

Delicate plastic. Very suspicious yet overly hopeful decals.

Pots of paint. Turps. Bedding. 

The odd onlooker. Then the others that look fairly normal :) 

No pressure at all then :door: 

'Apple Live Photos'.

I prefer mine dead, I really do. I don't want them wriggling and squirming all over the place!

When I first saw the fish and chip tray move in the photograph, I thought I was having a stroke :confused: !

Anyway, I gathered them all up, squirming and trying to distract me, and gave them the 'blue button' and 'done' treatment.

Not a peep out of them now. I will not have photos wriggling in my threads!! (to be shouted in the manner of Battery Sgt. Major Williams):

I feel a slight movement to starboard of topic, but related to the above, wonderful series, I find this news a little severe:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2133506/It-Aint-Half-Hot-Mum-screened-BBC-deem-racist-modern-society.html

I know we can't discuss political things. I mean, we can discuss how effective a Hawker Tempest's cannons were at blasting a poor steam train crew to oblivion.

So we'll do that instead :) .

It's actually a relatively short discussion. The word 'Very' is more than adequate. :mg: :boom:.

So what have we got here then, pulled from the darkest recesses of the Drawer of Doom?

No, box. Just a thin plastic sandwich bag. Some deranged lost soul seems to have scribbled something on it long ago. Some deep cry to communicate something with future generations,  from within an untethered mind:

30159573891_5a092b5724_b.jpg

"Revell A H G ЭIЧужER MnKV итENPEST SCьЫSдERMNNnчсюч"

There was I thinking the Great Patriotic War Group Build was over :S ?

Some gibber about a Hawker Hurricane has been hastily scribbled out by the poor soul.

Best have a look inside and see what it really is 👀.

29630251954_12a5839349_b.jpg

"Revell Hawker Tempest Mk. V." States the title of this very nicely designed single folded instruction sheet.

I love these original 1960's instruction sheets. For want of a better word they are very 'generous'.

How to build an injection moulded kit is described in clear, accurate English. There are no bizarre symbols linked to an even more bizarre key that may suggest an inverted rhododendron symbol (red), indicates a rogue part from a maritime kit, to be ignored, preferably until it leaves the box.

Instead, there are simple statements:

"Do not cement this edge"

"Do not cement this slot" and so on:

29614654114_a28923bd83_b.jpg

The painting instructions don't suggest mixes involving two or three shades, represented simply by numbers and ratios. Instead the order of painting is suggested clearly, with colours simply described as "yellow", "Sky Blue",  "Black", "Silver" etc.

30145389832_60fb2bb278_b.jpg

The colours may well be inaccurate, but if these instructions are followed to the letter, for only a little pocket money, the result would be a fine looking model :) .

I can't help thinking we may have gone too far down the road of over complicating kit building in the 21st Century.

Perhaps too many different options, shades, washes, filters, laquers, acrylics, enamels, just overload?

For some it is wonderful, but I am still re-adjusting. It really is possible to buy an almost off the shelf recipe for perfection now.

It could be something like; buy Tamigawa/EduaZoukai kit. Add Eduard/Barracuda Studios after market to taste. Glaze with Vallejo and Life-Color, add character with AK, Flory and serve :chef: !

Lovely. But there's something missing. I read a build on BM a few days ago in which, on a 1/48 aircraft the builder cut panel lines with an *X-Acto Razor saw*, only used a scriber to 'clean them out', then stated "and now I quickly apply a 'classic' pin wash".

:shutup: 

It looked like the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland

Well, there'll be none of that here today. I'm not averse to it at all, if conrolled, restrained. But this is a kit with many raised rivets and crude surface representations, so I'm just going to make it look as ok as possible. In my bed! :D 

On the other side we are given a nicely written, brief history of the Tempest. Then told we can buy the 1962-1963 Revell catalogue for thruppence, and furnished with a simple but clear painting scheme.

29630275694_eefb34dba2_b.jpg

Flickr has been really awful this evening, very slow. I apologise for the fact it has taken me this long to show the parts, but here they are:

Tempest

Take eight rockets and rails away, omit four external fuel tank halves and one is left with very little indeed, in terms of a parts count.

Superb :) !

It is now 2.07 am here, so I must sadly visit the land if nod. To finish; the pilot figure is a pleasant, useful bonus. Pierre will be used.

All kits in the Drawer of Doom were put there for a reason. There's the rub. I noticed something important is missing.

Can you spot what it is? No, the answer is not 'detail :D !

Thank you for watching and reading folks, have a pleasant evening wherever you are,

Best regards :bye: 

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Corrected link permissions and auto corrupt
  • Like 7

Nice instructions... if only producers had stayed with 'single language' versions instead of going for pictures that no one understands... nostalgia isn't what it used to be :)

What's missing??!! Is this some sort of 'Kim's Game'??

• Like 2