Airfix 1/72 Blenheim Mk I

So having been born and raised in Malaysia and Singapore, and having parents lived through the Japanese occupation in WW2, subjects relating to WW2 and post-war aircraft subjects from that region are near and dear to my heart. I've been slowly accumulating associated with that region for years. At the moment the holy grail is a Malaysian Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer, which I'm hoping there'll be an injection kit sometime soon. Anyway, I saw that Airfix's new Blenheim had the markings of Sqn Ldr Arthur Scarf VC from his fateful mission on Dec 9, 1941.

kOwjQCsrN4sz2sDlON85nNZOcAirxjafCJO_nhLY

The build order is pretty interesting as it has you starting with the wings and fuselage instead of the cockpit. I'm pretty impressed with the complex wing spar and landing gear.

JgG61fAT4QxZ_cbXmzagGzkqwq73dw1kWYlj6yPb

While the wingbox was glued together and painted, I put the beautiful cockpit together. The only thing I did was some masking tape seatbelts made out strips of Tamiya tape, lightly painted with Tamiya Buff and then washed with a bit of diluted Burnt Sienna. It's a lovely cockpit, and I'm sad that I have to close it up.

zWerhZzR-taOrIElW6rEUbyZuaWuoXsgyJQf1-Km

I've found that so far, the hardest part of this kit is the nose. The very precise fit of the transparencies and nose leaves very little room for error. I've had to pop off the clear parts, reattach them to make sure they aligned, and wiped the fingerprints off the insides more than once. I was also reminded of why building WW2 aircraft with greenhouse transparencies drove me bananas.

DjF-gjhG7vUjKUwAxRXUZ5HEhvp_Nafs8zhPFHK7

Neither can I. :unsure: