AIRFIX 1/48 Supermarine Walrus Mk.I Released + New box in 2024

sofiane1718

• 1 month later...

Woo hoo! Just received an email from Airfix advising that my preordered Walruses (Walrusii?) have arrived at their warehouse. Should be a pair with me by the middle of the week with any luck. Happy days.

Jeff

Mine has arrived. Looks like it’ll build into a lovely kit with lots of detail as standard, at a cursory glance it is definitely up to the same standard as other recent Airfix releases. Only point I’d make is that this kit is manufactured by Airfix’s Indian factory and as such features the softer plastic, something to bare in mind when building as it’ll be easy to damage detail if you get too overly enthusiastic with a sander.

Mine is currently waiting for me at my LHS.😁😁😁.

Looking at the 3d rendering very few joints are going to be in the middle of flat areas so risk to detail should be minimal, but I'd rather that they had used the harder plastic as per the Victor and P-40 as I find it more pleasant to work with, I.e. harder to break when separating it from the sprue, for example.  I'm not 100% certain but I think they have arranged wing construction along the lines of the old HP 0/400 kit to facilitate rigging.

5 hours ago, March said:

Only point I’d make is that this kit is manufactured by Airfix’s Indian factory and as such features the softer plastic, something to bare in mind when building as it’ll be easy to damage detail if you get too overly enthusiastic with a sander.

Why do they do this. 

One thing Airfix really have to get right now is the quality of the plastic and consistency of finer surface detail.

The British molded Victor proved that both of these things are possible, I was hoping that all their following kits would be produced this way.

• Like 1

I remember reading in the definitive book of FROG models(I forget the name) that their moulds were produced to be used with a certain type of polystyrene produced by Shell. I believe this was used as an explanation for poor mouldings by NOVO and the Frogswawn.

Maybe these mounds are the same in that only a certain 'brand' of polystyrene can be used.

Trevor

3 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I remember reading in the definitive book of FROG models(I forget the name) that their moulds were produced to be used with a certain type of polystyrene produced by Shell. I believe this was used as an explanation for poor mouldings by NOVO and the Frogswawn.

Maybe these mounds are the same in that only a certain 'brand' of polystyrene can be used.

Trevor

If the Meteor is anything to go by, then no. The original boxing of the F.8 was produced in India, but the new boxing using the same moulds has been produced in the UK and features the harder plastic.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

It was the low moulding pressure and poor storing of the moulds of the former Frog back catalogue, when production of the former moved to Novo that caused the QC issues.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Thanks 1