Red Shield at Night, Brezhnev's Delight (1/72 Amodel Я́ковлев Як-28П)

:rofl: PC you do make me laugh... and that probably deserves a fnaar fnaar!

Great work on the fettling... that last shot looks as though she's come together really well and the bendy fuselage is long gone - good job!

Winnie is looking good too (love the hat) and Jon's kindness has been rewarded! What a nice man he is...

(Back from a weekend away so getting back into the swing...)

• Like 4

Once again my supply of likes has run out :confused: .

But I like it anyway. You're really getting this together quickly! 

Found myself Googling 'Amodel' and 'Yak 28' this morning. 

Something or someone must have inspired that :shrug: . ;) 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

...and suddenly an aircraft appears! You're moving in on this one with a purpose PC; I have to agree with Tony's comments above - you're turning my head also in the direction of Amodel too, based on the attractive results you're getting here. :thumbsup2: Besides, if kits all fitted-together perfectly this hobby would be called 'assembling', and far less fun to watch others at work.

Like many Soviet-era aircraft, this '28 looks like uncannily like a product of Soviet graphic design/propaganda, in all of its angular and diagonal exaggerations:

b6c0bd2ecab2215095751abad6822f33.jpg

I hope that residential matters are proceeding without too much strain. You will make sure that any new bedroom for Winston has room for a bench - won't you? (You can always tell Mrs. P vaguely that it's a desk for him to do his homework on..):D

Tony

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jessica said:

Actually, that's much less filler than you usually see on an Amodel kit. I think you've gotten off lightly with this one.

I once bought three packs of Milliput and got a free A Model kit ;op

• Like 9

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I hope that residential matters are proceeding without too much strain. You will make sure that any new bedroom for Winston has room for a bench - won't you? (You can always tell Mrs. P vaguely that it's a desk for him to do his homework on..):D

Tony

We got our first offer this morning, but they low-balled us by...quite a lot. Mrs. P, who is a terrible negotiator (speaking both from the experience of buying a house with her, and of being married to her for the last five years), has a number of (also terrible) ideas for counteroffers, but we're meeting with our realtor first.

5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Found myself Googling 'Amodel' and 'Yak 28' this morning. 

Something or someone must have inspired that :shrug: . ;) 

Apparently this is the hardest of their Yak-28 kits to find -- all the rest seem to be the glass-nosed BREWER and MAESTRO versions. Interestingly, these seem to have added a second piece to completely box in the aft landing gear bay that the Yak-28P kit is missing. 

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I have to agree with Tony's comments above - you're turning my head also in the direction of Amodel too, based on the attractive results you're getting here. :thumbsup2: Besides, if kits all fitted-together perfectly this hobby would be called 'assembling', and far less fun to watch others at work.

I somehow ended up with a ton of Amodel kits: the Su-9 and Su-11 FISHPOT; the IAR-80 and -81 (my wife's ancestors are Romanian, a flimsy justification, but all I needed to pull the trigger); and the Hawker Fury, Hart, and Osprey. They make stuff I like.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

They make stuff I like.

Likewise, but not even I'm delusional enough to believe that I can justify their Brabazon to me. Or indeed that I'd ever get it built. If they did one in 1/144 though, I'd be on it in a flash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

Likewise, but not even I'm delusional enough to believe that I can justify their Brabazon to me. Or indeed that I'd ever get it built. If they did one in 1/144 though, I'd be on it in a flash.

I began the process of justification (and I'm told their giant kits are actually quite buildable, more so than their purely injection-molded plastic stuff), but the price tag and the difficulty of concealing it from Mrs. P stopped me -- I once asked for the Revell A400M for my birthday, and then while travelling on business, received about twenty texts in a row telling me I couldn't have it and why not. (The overwrought text-storm while I'm away for work is a Mrs. P signature move, sort of like firing two guns at once for Chow Yun-Fat, or doing the splits is for Jean-Claude Van Damme.)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

We got our first offer this morning, but they low-balled us by...quite a lot. Mrs. P, who is a terrible negotiator (speaking both from the experience of buying a house with her, and of being married to her for the last five years), has a number of (also terrible) ideas for counteroffers, but we're meeting with our realtor first.

Apparently this is the hardest of their Yak-28 kits to find -- all the rest seem to be the glass-nosed BREWER and MAESTRO versions. Interestingly, these seem to have added a second piece to completely box in the aft landing gear bay that the Yak-28P kit is missing. 

I somehow ended up with a ton of Amodel kits: the Su-9 and Su-11 FISHPOT; the IAR-80 and -81 (my wife's ancestors are Romanian, a flimsy justification, but all I needed to pull the trigger); and the Hawker Fury, Hart, and Osprey. They make stuff I like.

The Su-9 is a very nice looking aircraft (IMHO). I have that one, part built. I had air brake problems.

One day it will be finished. A heavy kit with real presence, that and/or the Su-11 would make a powerful display with this Yak 28.

Yes PC, my searches show this is indeed a hard boxing to find, and therefore commands a premium price. 

I actually laughed out loud at the 'Jean-Claude Van Damme' comment :rofl: .

Problem is it's 3.53 am. This untimely, muffled chortling means that the other occupants of Tiger Towers will be now, more so than ever, convinced I have completely lost my balloons 🎈🏃 :confused: .

TonyT

• Like 3

Interesting subject matter Mr P. I'm rather taken by the angular, graphic design of Soviet fighters of this era. The Mig 21 always fascinated me as a youth. All that filler though...like up and at it approach.

• Like 2

The greatest title (but not the greatest essay) by the sadly-departed David Foster Wallace, the finest American novelist and essayist of his generation, would have to be "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again".

That was this:

30165041961_5519d9e92d_h.jpg20161010_214419 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I used the Marketar Canopy Masking kit for this, which turned masking the canopy into something I'd forgo building the kit over to merely a stressful and hideously fraught experience.

30135407472_9f3c9659f1_h.jpg20161010_214630 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Once I'd finished using the Marketar set, I filled in the gaps with regular old Tamiya tape:

30165515831_a16aaa05e1_h.jpg20161010_221159 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30135831162_dd233ae3fc_h.jpg20161010_221216 by Edward IX, on Flickr

We'll see how it looks (probably pretty bad) after we paint and unmask.

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The Su-9 is a very nice looking aircraft (IMHO). I have that one, part built. I had air brake problems.

One day it will be finished. A heavy kit with real presence, that and/or the Su-11 would make a powerful display with this Yak 28.

Indeed. I like it -- I remember it being very mysterious when I was little -- "we know the hard-nosed, practical Russians never do anything without a reason, so this aircraft which looks like a hypertrophic idiot cousin of the MiG-21 and carries exactly two missiles must surely be a very, very capable machine that brings a lot to the table." Nope. But it does look neat, and you get to look smarter than people when they go "nice MiG!" And like all failures, I love feeling smarter than people.

7 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

All that filler though...like up and at it approach.

Honestly, it really isn't that bad so far. Let's see how I feel when I fit the landing gear, though.

• Like 8

Nice work on the canopy there mate, I think you may have reached parity in the expense/usefulness equation relating to the Maketar canopy set just on the strength of that.

Also interesting 'background music'... Murder by Death, and The Police? I trust nothing sinisterly subliminal is going on chez Procopius? :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Just now, Stew Dapple said:

Also interesting 'background music'... Murder by Death, and The Police? I trust nothing sinisterly subliminal is going on chez Procopius? :D

Ha! I hadn't even made the connection in my own mind. I confess, I discovered MBD because of my love for the film they take their name from. It just happened that those were the two nearest dark-coloured things that the masking would show best on.

Now, that being said, tempers are frayed here at Hedgehog Manor, what with an offer for the house on the table and Winston developing some revolutionary new techniques in the area of misbehavior. There's something quite extraordinary about seeing a fat little hand pop up on the table like that sewer monster from Star Wars (shamefully, I knew its actual name, though never its Christian one -- probably Terrence, though) and grope about until it finds a water glass, whereupon the glass is battered into describing a liquid-dispensing arc. If you are one and have no conscience and limited English, this is the best thing in the universe.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Procopius said:

...If you are one and have no conscience and limited English, this is the best thing in the universe.

I'm not one, and my English is probably no more limited than any of my peer group, but that to me does sound pretty damn funny. I think perhaps I might lack conscience... :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Nice masking PC and I second Stew on congratulating you on actually using the Maketar set. I have mine close to hand in case of masking emergency in the vain hope that it does what it says on the packet... I've opened it a few times to look for some non-emergency masking but then just put it away again with the guilty feeling I assume people get when they shout for rescue and then realise that it's not a real emergency and they had just panicked...

Winnie's new technique sounds annoying... is he doing it to get a reaction or is he developing a bent towards scientific experimentation do you think? Hard to tell, I know.

I'm not sure I understand the US house selling 'rules'. Is there some pressure to accept offers even if you're not happy with them? In England we're able to just sneer at offers we don't like but reserve the right to go back grovelling if it's the best one we get. Always a tense time.

• Like 8

Like a lot of the Star Wars denizens and they way they fit into their universe, the trash compactor monster makes no sense. How can it stay alive if that's truly a trash compactor? (Actually, that whole scene makes no sense - why compact steel beams instead of resmelting them? Why is there water in there? Why would it start up when it's not even half full? Why is it so achingly big? And a lot of other things as well. Personally, I think it was an excuse to get a braless Carrie Fisher soaking wet. But whatever.)

Back on topic - canopy looks nice indeed.

Oh, and my ex used to write me little notes and leave them in convenient locations when she had something she wanted to say that she didn't actually want to say. Annoyed me no end (this was of course long ago, before texting was a thing).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

Like a lot of the Star Wars denizens and they way they fit into their universe, the trash compactor monster makes no sense. How can it stay alive if that's truly a trash compactor? (Actually, that whole scene makes no sense - why compact steel beams instead of resmelting them? Why is there water in there? Why would it start up when it's not even half full? Why is it so achingly big? And a lot of other things as well. Personally, I think it was an excuse to get a braless Carrie Fisher soaking wet. But whatever.)

Back on topic - canopy looks nice indeed.

Oh, and my ex used to write me little notes and leave them in convenient locations when she had something she wanted to say that she didn't actually want to say. Annoyed me no end (this was of course long ago, before texting was a thing).

And another thing...

Does the Temple in Raiders of the Lost Ark have an indefinite supply of giant rolling boulders, or just the one?

And why do all the snakes live in the pit?

And the sun shining in to the map room would change depending on the time of year surely, even in Egypt?

• Like 6

It's a good thing you found Mitchem's build article - I started on mine over 10 years ago, and stopped when I realized that the wings were asymmetric and the engine pods were wonk....my modelling skills have improved enough over the years I might just be inspired by you to get back in to it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Supertom said:

It's a good thing you found Mitchem's build article - I started on mine over 10 years ago, and stopped when I realized that the wings were asymmetric and the engine pods were wonk....my modelling skills have improved enough over the years I might just be inspired by you to get back in to it.

Ah, Tom, and I have an immense advantage over you in that my poor spatial sense means I haven't noticed the wings are or aren't asymmetric. In fact, after I post this, I'm going to slam my head into my desk so hard that I forget about it altogether. 

5 hours ago, John_W said:

And another thing...

Does the Temple in Raiders of the Lost Ark have an indefinite supply of giant rolling boulders, or just the one?

And why do all the snakes live in the pit?

And the sun shining in to the map room would change depending on the time of year surely, even in Egypt?

No clue, but if you grew up in the restrictive kind of religious household as a kid, those movies were godsends.

10 hours ago, Rob G said:

Actually, that whole scene makes no sense - why compact steel beams instead of resmelting them?

Burning Death Star reactor cores can't melt steel beams! This is what having to work on Twitter everyday has done to me.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

I've opened it a few times to look for some non-emergency masking but then just put it away again with the guilty feeling I assume people get when they shout for rescue and then realise that it's not a real emergency and they had just panicked...

I'm not familiar with that feeling; I just like the attention so much I keep shouting. The masking set is pretty useful if you have shaky hands (like me), but I'm betting I won't get more than four or five masks out of it before I run out of the good bits.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Winnie's new technique sounds annoying... is he doing it to get a reaction or is he developing a bent towards scientific experimentation do you think? Hard to tell, I know.

My current theory is that he was sent from Hell by the devil, but I will update you as I get new information.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm not sure I understand the US house selling 'rules'. Is there some pressure to accept offers even if you're not happy with them? In England we're able to just sneer at offers we don't like but reserve the right to go back grovelling if it's the best one we get. Always a tense time.

We're trying to buy a specific house, which although slightly smaller has an attached two-car garage and central air conditioning and which in general is more up-to-date than ours. So it's a race to sell our house before the other sellers either call off their divorce, or sell first.

• Like 8

Ive just caught up with this one, PC.

Fifties and Sixties aircraft are my first love (please don't tell the Spitfire). When I was a lad I learnt the skill of aircraft identification from my Grandfather (who had been in the Royal Observer Corps after serving in the war) by studying the ROC magazine. I imagine that I was the only 9 year old who could identify a Yak-28 from a three-quarter rear view.

• Like 6

Glad Winston found a use for the spitfire, even if teething ring wasn't the first thing I had in mind. I do hope Mrs PC didn't mind toooo much...

As for this hell spawn thing, it takes me back to the ill fitting Airfix of my childhood, except back then We would never build the enemy, for fear of inciting their wrath. (I lived altogether too close to Greenham for comfort and my childhood sleep was occasionally disturbed by mobile launchers trundling down the A30, or so I feverishly imagined.)

• Like 6

7 hours ago, 06/24 said:

As for this hell spawn thing, it takes me back to the ill fitting Airfix of my childhood, except back then We would never build the enemy, for fear of inciting their wrath. 

I kind of feel that way about modern Russian stuff, since they seem to be plumping for a satanic Cheeto to become the God-Emperor of my unhappy country.

So, good news, trundling along:

30186561111_4bc1d9954e_k.jpg20161011_222741 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It's not super-detailed in there:

30237202126_f339fc3d0c_k.jpg20161011_222827 by Edward IX, on Flickr

But bad news. I spilled a pot of Tamiya Extra Thin (which is almost, but unfortunately not entirely impossible to do) and a fair bit of it landed on one of the nacelles.

30272112405_d77fe5905a_k.jpg20161011_222619 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30272112405_4789da6cfa_h.jpg20161011_222619 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Ugh. But I'm going to press on. Once it dries, out will come the Mr Surfacer.

As you can see, my brass rod arrived:

29975394820_8854c97460_h.jpg20161011_222633 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It turned out to be a little too big to fit into the thick-walled plastic nacelles, so I thought to myself "what would Buffers do?" And then I repeatedly rammed my rod into the hole. Turns out the edges of brass rod ends are sharp enough to neatly shave away plastic, and it worked a treat.

Now I have to figure out how to get the shock cones to fit properly, which will be a challenge. 

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Procopius said:

It turned out to be a little too big to fit into the thick-walled plastic nacelles, so I thought to myself "what would Buffers do?" And then I repeatedly rammed my rod into the hole....

You did that on purpose, didn't you?

Good progress mate, shame about that nacelle but I'm sure you will overcome that  minor inconvenience :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5