Red Shield at Night, Brezhnev's Delight (1/72 Amodel Я́ковлев Як-28П)

Sadly, while the Interweb is a wonderful communication tool which gives access to all sorts of otherwise hard to come by information, things like Faceache and Twatter do rather allow the broadast of idiot opinions by cretinous morons who probably should have been euthanised at birth (or at least gagged, blindfolded and tied up in a darkened room).

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

Sadly, while the Interweb is a wonderful communication tool which gives access to all sorts of otherwise hard to come by infornmation, things like Faceache and Twatter do rather allow the broadast of idiot opinions by cretinous morons who probably should have been euthanised at birth (or at least gagged, blindfolded and tied up in a darkened room).

& who most certainly should not be elected to the highest offices of the land!  :poke:   :whistle:  :winkgrin:

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

Sorry for the radio silence. On Monday, the New York Times printed an extremely unflattering and, if I do say so myself, incomplete, incendiary and rather biased piece about my employer. As a result, a lot of people said nasty things about us on social media, and I was very busy. Of course, it's always easy to bravely call people cowards, or say they have no testicles, or whatever, if you're in the public echo chamber of Twitter, safe from having to have the courage to directly address the people you blame, but within easy reach of low-level employees who have to stay up until odd hours and skip lunch to make sure press releases get pushed out. Exhausting and exasperating.

Or the right hook that is approaching at great speed and bang on target for chin contact...........

Yes these"hacks" have a lot of town halls when not in direct eye contact with their victim.

Edited by Miggers

4 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

Sadly, while the Interweb is a wonderful communication tool which gives access to all sorts of otherwise hard to come by infornmation, things like Faceache and Twatter do rather allow the broadast of idiot opinions by cretinous morons who probably should have been euthanised at birth (or at least gagged, blindfolded and tied up in a darkened room).

Ooh,don't get me going on euthanasing things like that Deborah,I know a few that could easily be done....

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

Ooh,don't get me going on euthanasing things like that Deborah,I know a few that could easily be done....

A close relative (let's leave it there.....) advocates using prisons in the North Sea using redundant oil rigs to punish feral persons. 

If if they fail to pass the tests, there's a trap door to shark infested waters below.*

Isn't someone building a hairyplane here????

Trevor

*no actual sharks were harmed in the making of this post.

• Like 5

I have been lurking until now as I am not, by any means, a builder of aircraft.

This must go down in history as one of the most trying builds of any sort I have ever seen. I'm sure the local Auto Zone will go out of business now that your use of Bondo is complete. This is inspiring me to dig some form of winged thing from the stash and have a go at it.

What form metal finish did you use? Pardon if you mentioned it previously, but I am old now. 

I laugh at your description of WGN and the newspapers. I was born, raised and, after two hitches as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, worked an entire career just down the road from you in St. Louis. The current MrsG hails from the city of Chicago. I met her after I retired and moved west to Sin City.

As a life long Cardinals fan, all I can say is "Go Cubs!".  

:lol:

G

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thud4444 said:

Sorry for your troubles.  Here are some celebrities reading mean tweets, so you can see it could be worse- 

They're on to something with Wanglebert Clumberpotch there. I read tweets pretty much all day (and even get paid for it!), and it doesn't really leave you with a lot of love for humanity. It's particularly awful when there's a shooting or a terror attack -- everyone crawls over the bodies of the dead to shout out whatever's filling their narrow little minds. I note the Daily Show has now done a little segment about my work too, so things will continue until something exciting happens elsewhere. 

16 minutes ago, AgentG said:

This must go down in history as one of the most trying builds of any sort I have ever seen. I'm sure the local Auto Zone will go out of business now that your use of Bondo is complete.

It's honestly not that bad! Lotta sanding, sure, but aside from the intake bullets, so far it's been pretty smooth sailing. We'll see how I feel after I try and put the landing gear on.

19 minutes ago, AgentG said:

What form metal finish did you use? 

It's AK Extreme Metals Polished Aluminum, with the center wing panels painted AK Extreme Metals Dull Aluminum. The jet exhausts are Alclad Burnt Exhaust. I used Alclad Grey Microfiller Primer as the base. 

21 minutes ago, AgentG said:

This is inspiring me to dig some form of winged thing from the stash and have a go at it.

That's the spirit!

• Like 4

So I think I mentioned that the decals looked a little dubious:

30514897561_36f7d71a1a_h.jpg20161027_113108 by Edward IX, on Flickr

People aren't exactly lining up to do aftermarket Yak-28P decal sheets, though, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.

30486297082_c9cb3087c8_h.jpg20161027_114321 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30486295442_a731c5cab8_h.jpg20161027_122658 by Edward IX, on Flickr

As they dry, the initial discolouration seems to be going away:

30566542716_df61fc84d6_h.jpg20161027_122651 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30303129350_4b7dfd77e6_h.jpg20161027_122710 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 12

That's one hell of a Beastie..

From early days of infancy, through trembling years of youth,
Long murky middle-age and final hours long in the tooth,
He is the hundred names of terror, creature you love the least.
Picture his name before you and exorcise the beast.

He roved up and down through history spectre with tales to tell.
In the darkness when the campfire's dead to each his private hell.
If you look behind your shoulder as you feel his eyes to feast,
You can witness now the everchanging nature of the beast.

Beastie

If you wear a warmer sporran, you can keep the foe at bay.
You can pop those pills and visit some psychiatrist who'll say
There's nothing I can do for you, everywhere's a danger zone.
I'd love to help get rid of it, but I've got one of my own.

Beastie

There's a beast upon my shoulder and a fiend upon my back.
Feel his burning breath a heaving, smoke oozing from his stack.
And he moves beneath the covers or he lies below the bed.
He's the beast upon your shoulder. He's the price upon your head.

He's the lonely fear of dying, and for some, of living too.
He's your private nightmare pricking. He'd just love to turn the screw.
So stand as one defiant yes, and let your voices swell.
Stare that beastie in the face and really give him hell.

Beastie

• Like 8

The kit's color call-outs are a little vague as to the unit of the aircraft -- it has both options on the same page, under a single heading. Assuming it's right, this is a 1970s-era Yak-28P of 174 GvIAP ("Istrebitel´nyy Aviastionyy Polk Gvardiya", Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment), who flew the Yak-28P from 1962-1983 as part of the 21st Air Defence Corps. I believe (according to Google translate) that the lettering below the canopy reads "EXCELLENT", so it's probably a precursor to the somewhat more famous "Excellent Aircraft Badge", though I don't know when that was introduced. I THINK the lettering behind the bort number is some kind of warning or stencil text -- if someone who can read Russian would translate it, I'd be most gratified.

• Like 2

Ooh yes that is looking quite special with decals on. Proper Soviet Cold War looking. I mean I can just imagine hundreds of em flying over Moscow in formation during a May Day parade. As for social media, sadly something that has potentially great benefits, tends to be used negatively...never minding tweeting a cure for cancer or something wonderful, I'll make some bitchy remark about someone... It's seems to epitomise the old adage "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." Oh well, I should be less cynical I suppose. It's up to you Mr P to bring light to darkness!

• Like 2

Using the online Russian keyboard and Google translate I get as English for the text after that big 57:

Samopet taken on sotssohrannosg holes PPH ronskii

I do hope this does not turn out to be the worst-ever obscenity published in a foreign language on the forum and results in a lifetime ban on my part...:undecided:

'I may have been no help at all but at least I will serve as a warning to others...'

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

The kit's color call-outs are a little vague as to the unit of the aircraft -- it has both options on the same page, under a single heading. Assuming it's right, this is a 1970s-era Yak-28P of 174 GvIAP ("Istrebitel´nyy Aviastionyy Polk Gvardiya", Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment), who flew the Yak-28P from 1962-1983 as part of the 21st Air Defence Corps. I believe (according to Google translate) that the lettering below the canopy reads "EXCELLENT", so it's probably a precursor to the somewhat more famous "Excellent Aircraft Badge", though I don't know when that was introduced. I THINK the lettering behind the bort number is some kind of warning or stencil text -- if someone who can read Russian would translate it, I'd be most gratified.

A Russian speaker here at work says " ...it means that this aircraft is taken under the social protection umbrella. Name of the aircraft is “Excellent” "

It's interesting to think that an interceptor, which is the umbrella to protect Society, is under the social protection umbrella. Perhaps it's to thwart spies? "Oh look, we can't do this one; it's protected!"

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jessica said:

A Russian speaker here at work says " ...it means that this aircraft is taken under the social protection umbrella. Name of the aircraft is “Excellent” "

It's interesting to think that an interceptor, which is the umbrella to protect Society, is under the social protection umbrella. Perhaps it's to thwart spies? "Oh look, we can't do this one; it's protected!"

Hm. Could be the same way that some aircraft were named after patriotic slogans or whatever, like this MiG named "Soviet Lithuania":

1_21_b2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

That's one hell of a Beastie..

From early days of infancy, through trembling years of youth,
Long murky middle-age and final hours long in the tooth,
He is the hundred names of terror, creature you love the least.
Picture his name before you and exorcise the beast.

He roved up and down through history spectre with tales to tell.
In the darkness when the campfire's dead to each his private hell.
If you look behind your shoulder as you feel his eyes to feast,
You can witness now the everchanging nature of the beast.

Beastie

If you wear a warmer sporran, you can keep the foe at bay.
You can pop those pills and visit some psychiatrist who'll say
There's nothing I can do for you, everywhere's a danger zone.
I'd love to help get rid of it, but I've got one of my own.

Beastie

There's a beast upon my shoulder and a fiend upon my back.
Feel his burning breath a heaving, smoke oozing from his stack.
And he moves beneath the covers or he lies below the bed.
He's the beast upon your shoulder. He's the price upon your head.

He's the lonely fear of dying, and for some, of living too.
He's your private nightmare pricking. He'd just love to turn the screw.
So stand as one defiant yes, and let your voices swell.
Stare that beastie in the face and really give him hell.

Beastie

Ahhh nice bit o' Tull. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Samopet taken on sotssohrannosg holes PPH ronskii

:))))))))

Самолет взят на соцсохранность

Отв. пр-к Бронский 

:)

The translation was quite accurate, except the second line that means that unfer-officer Bronsky is in charge

• Like 5

Sorry that I'm late to this, Mr Historian. You lucky chap - now that I've tracked you're thread down, you will have to put up with my inane (insane?) comments.

Looking food from what I've seen stalking your flickr account. Back to the beginning now to see what the photos were all about. I dare say I'll get back here by the time that this thread is finished.

Cheers,

the alex :sheep:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh hey, and I forgot to do the anti-glare strip! Guess I'll have to figure out how not to lift the decals when I mask.

I always, always lift the decals. But I was working from home today (Mrs P has an after-work conference Thursdays, so I generally try and use my two-per-month work from home days [stupid, as I could do 95% of my job on my phone while walking around a conference hall -- and have! -- and so there's no reason not to have loads more WFH time] so that Winnie can come home at 4 PM and Mrs P can come straight back home after work gets out around 6 PM) and so I had a lot of time to think about how I might do this. 

I settled on post-it notes, since their adhesion is weak and they're more easy to control than Tamiya tape in this situation. I used two per side, stuck sticky-side-to-sticky-side, leaving only the sticky side forward of the radome-fuselage delineation unmasked. I used very thin strips of tape to anchor the post-its at the other end (had to be careful owing to the proximity of the "Excellent" badges) and then stuck blu-tac under the post-its to push them up, which made them conform closely to the lines of the fuselage.

Here's how it looked in practice:

29979295284_951c283056_k.jpg20161027_212414 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I sprayed Tamiya XF-1, as I rated it the most controllable and fast-drying of my black paints I have on hand. Here it is immediately after unmasking. Not terrible!

29977089463_91a5becec4_h.jpg20161027_212557 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I then used a small fine brush to touch up the bits I missed:

30611031245_6fe372bf00_h.jpg20161027_213033 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Boom.

Oh, and the #^&$ing intake bullet came out again. Oh well. Suggestion: if you build this, fill the nacelle with clear epoxy and just embed the damn bullets.

Missiles were painted gloss white:

30311096500_f85ec2ad7f_h.jpg20161027_213053 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And masked for radome tan (SARH) and gloss black (IR) on the seeker heads.

30611031745_4a6f35ce70_c.jpg20161027_214616 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Terrible photo.

Winston had his first haircut (and it was sorely needed) on Tuesday:

30311097700_6bc8bb2765_h.jpgIMG_6424 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 8

Oh, and generally it seems that ANABs have a large serial number(? maybe it's a lottery number, and B-52s hit by it can win valuable prizes) along the body of the weapon, which of course there are no decals for in the kit. My Su-11 kit seems to have two serials for each of its AA-3s, so a solution may present itself.

Anab01-00px-Sukhoi_Su-24_inflight_Mishin

• Like 6