Red Shield at Night, Brezhnev's Delight (1/72 Amodel Я́ковлев Як-28П)

Out of curiosity I checked the premiership pay scale, Wayne Rooney appears to be on top of the pile at £260000.....Per week!  :o

Proof if ever you needed it that you don't always get what you pay for.  :doh:

Do you ever think that humanity may be beyond all redemption at this point in history?  :hmmm:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jessica said:

Oh dear. The thread has degenerated into a discussion of Sportsball. You shall all be sent to Gulag if there is no progress on Motherland's valiant defender! Disgraceful wreckers!

Your wish is my et cetera:

30493443746_0bb8200ea6_h.jpg20161024_000531 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Do you see where I fixed the huge paint chip on the radome? No, of course you don't, because I fixed it.

Still unhappy with the radiotransparent green, but life is hard:

30529705975_17b60852ae_h.jpg20161024_000551 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I need to paint the exhaust nozzles a dark colour and figure out my intake bullet situation.

29897020973_b4962775ac_h.jpg20161024_000558 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Landing gear awaits its moment of truth:

30442463871_cede38115c_h.jpg20161024_000620 by Edward IX, on Flickr

IR and SARH AA-3s need paint. 

30231614680_a8e36b2198_h.jpg20161024_000631 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Do you ever think that humanity may be beyond all redemption at this point in history?  :hmmm:

Lift up your hearts! All will come right. (I hope.)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Out of curiosity I checked the premiership pay scale, Wayne Rooney appears to be on top of the pile at £260000.....Per week!  :o

That last paragraph made me laugh Sarge, a lot :rofl: .

I've been quietly enjoying progress on this extremely stunning aircraft PC.

I know virtually nothing about Cold War era Soviet aircraft armament, but somewhere in my growing collection of images (24,350 according to PhotoBucket), I found these.

I thought of you. I am interested by the reddish brown nose on one photograph, but I guess my main question is; what would the red weapons be in the other photograph? They look both scary, and very cool, at this distance.

Yak 28 red nose

(Rudolf the red nosed Yak).

Yakety Yak

A white tipped tail too.

The AK looks very good on your model PC. In my limited experience it is a little more decal/handling friendly than Alclad, but I still will carry on using both products.

Your son's interest in the Spitfire is highly commendable :D .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 4

Those are training AA-3 ANABs -- the Russians painted them red, I suspect because they had a real hard-on for painting things red in general, being communists and all.

• Like 5

Nice Yak PC, I like shiny things...

(I know nothing of the sport stuff of which you speak so I'll keep quiet. But I do share your lack of interest...)

I'm afraid this Cubs hysteria has reached all the way down south, deep into football country (American Football country)! My nephew is a huge cubs fan and for the last few weeks he's been singing the Wild about Harry song from the WGN Cubs commercials from the 90s.  There is nothing worse than a long suffering sports fan who's team suddenly gets a hot streak. .....

The old commercial. .

2 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

I'm afraid this Cubs hysteria has reached all the way down south, deep into football country (American Football country)! My nephew is a huge cubs fan and for the last few weeks he's been singing the Wild about Harry song from the WGN Cubs commercials from the 90s.  There is nothing worse than a long suffering sports fan who's team suddenly gets a hot streak. 

You know, I've lived here my entire life (but any one of you in the UK who know of a company looking for a social media manager could change that), and I've never heard that before?

A word about WGN for our friends in foreign lands: one of Chicago's two major newspapers, the Chicago Tribune (the other is the more left-leaning Chicago Sun-Times, which had the UK tablod-style pagination, as opposed to the Trib's broadsheet-style) owned a small media empire, consisting of the Tribune itself, an AM radio station (WGN 720) and a TV channel (WGN Channel 9). WGN, by the way, stands for World's Greatest News. Growing up in what was more or less a cult existing on one of the far ends of the horseshoe-shaped American political spectrum, I wasn't allowed to watch network TV (just WTTW-11, our Public Broadcasting Service station, which, not incidentally, showed episodes of Dr Who very late at night -- my parents watched them until I was born and ruined everything), so my exposure to WGN would have been limited, BUT. WGN had something called the WGN Saturday Movie, which was inevitably some tired old actioneer starring Charles Bronson or Arnold Schwarzenegger or whomever, and my father (who isn't made of stone) could no more resist the siren song of the Bronsonator mowing down punks for shoplifting than a salmon can stop itself from coursing upstream to spawn. So he used to exile us from the TV room and watch, except that I could still see the movie reflected in the family portraits on the opposite wall, so he would eventually end up six inches from the CRT, the TV cupboard doors pulled half-closed around him to prevent anything getting out, looking for all the world like a radar operator tracking raids coming in. The siren song of this forbidden fruit is probably why I to this day have an irrational love of Death Wish 3, in which Brixton plays New York City. Basically the same place anyway. 

• Like 7

Crikey :confused: .

Mrs. Tiger's childhood was extremely similar to the one you describe PC, albeit originally New Zealand based.

She fled the aforementioned cult at the age of 17, London providing safe haven and employment. 

That is is an extremely short version and I'm sure the bits where she returned to be shunned, called an apostate etc. are all familiar ground. Thus, those became push factors again, and Australia provided safe haven and gainful employment, even a scholarship, after; 'fleeing the cult' episode number two.

If there's anyhthing to be said for such sects/cults, they certainly can promote resilience, resourcefulness, and encourage the wish for travel in their children. 

Moreover, the desire to watch an episode of Doctor Who clearly, and unrestrained, is good enough reason for anyone to 'Go Walkabout' (to quote an Australian phrase) ;) .

All best regards

TonyT

PS: I suspect I may have some Russian genes, as those red training AA3's harden my pencil tip without varnish :D  

PPS: 06/24's suggestion about pencil tips with varnish sounds very feasible. In the video I linked many posts ago, the shock cones can be seen to have quite a degree of movement fore and aft. Shadows could be your friend here :) .

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Bullet suggestion. An ordinary pencil, sharpened to a fine point and dipped in varnish to harden it? On the basis that in the photo of Rudolph only the very tip is visible.

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

PPS: 06/24's suggestion about pencil tips with varnish sounds very feasible. In the video I linked many posts ago, the shock cones can be seen to have quite a degree of movement fore and aft. Shadows could be your friend here :) .

My fear is that they'd be quite fragile. I'm still working on some ideas, but this may be where we end up regardless.

38 minutes ago, Supertom said:

Oh wow. This looks amazing.

Eh, it's okay. But I'm happy I've gotten this far -- when I bought it I wondered if I'd ever have the moxy to build it. Well here I am!

• Like 1

On 23/10/2016 at 9:52 AM, 06/24 said:

I only hope Mrs PC has forgiven my blatant attempt to anglicise her son :pilot:

You need to train her to shout(in a good cut-glass Oxford/Camebridge accent of course)"Come along Winston,luncheon is ready" you'll love it,

can't say that Mrs P will,but that's by the by....

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

If she hasn't yet cottoned to the fact that nothing would please me more, she's really got to pay less attention to the bloody birds.

Mrs Miggs is like that with our Jack Russell,so yours is not alone at all

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Ought to be 260000  mild steel flat-washers............

12 hours ago, Jessica said:

Oh dear. The thread has degenerated into a discussion of Sportsball. You shall all be sent to Gulag if there is no progress on Motherland's valiant defender! Disgraceful wreckers!

You tell'em Jess.

Apparently back in Yakolevograd(or wherever they made 'em) during The Great Patriotic,such slackers would have the results of

their poor labours put on display with their names on cards for all to see(and point wagging fingers,whisper conspiratorialy,etcetera),you have been warned!!.

• Like 4

That Churchill/band picture above,

is that Clouseau on the accordion?

The pics of your model, it reminds me

of something from Thunderbirds.

Do you think they watched the program

in the Kremlin?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The pics of your model, it reminds me

of something from Thunderbirds.

Do you think they watched the program

in the Kremlin?

You know I have a book on how the Soviet Union implemented TV (sadly in storage right now), but long story short, probably not. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Procopius said:

You know I have a book on how the Soviet Union implemented TV (sadly in storage right now), but long story short, probably not. 

One doesn't doubt you have for one minute Edward,you look to be the sort of chap that would given your

interest in obscure and long pointy nosed Dan Dare stylee interceptor aeroplanes.

I bet was the same way they used to implement most things........,all boiler plate and big rivets.

That was one of my dear old Dad's sayings,"You can tell it's Russian my boy,it's all boiler plate and big rivets"

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just out of interest Jessica, what's the RRP on a front-line fighter these days.....Would putting an F-35 up front actually work out cheaper?   :hmmm:

I think that one F-35 would cost nearly as much as all the Yak-28s there ever were. Back when Herr Harper was ruiningrunning our Country we couldn't get a straight answer out of him over how much our prospective order would cost, but each time it got dragged up in Commons, the number of F-35s 'on order' fell and the price rose.

• Like 2

Sorry for the radio silence. On Monday, the New York Times printed an extremely unflattering and, if I do say so myself, incomplete, incendiary and rather biased piece about my employer. As a result, a lot of people said nasty things about us on social media, and I was very busy. Of course, it's always easy to bravely call people cowards, or say they have no testicles, or whatever, if you're in the public echo chamber of Twitter, safe from having to have the courage to directly address the people you blame, but within easy reach of low-level employees who have to stay up until odd hours and skip lunch to make sure press releases get pushed out. Exhausting and exasperating.

In any case, I'm a little closer:

30570367205_971c0ced8f_h.jpg20161025_200631 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30570367145_3b05d016b6_h.jpg20161025_200648 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Not perfect, but I'm doing what I can. Next is probably some more touchups -- turns out EXTREME!!!! Metal does lift from Tamiya tape -- and then a gloss coat. I am extremely dubious about the condition of the decals. 

• Like 12

Ugh, one of the problems of social media, from my position as a dinosaur, is that you can't scowl or frown at people and show them that, socially, they're being an a** :(

She's looking even pointier with the bullets in PC - they look good to me :)

Good luck with the transfers - might I suggest 'extra wet' and sliding them off carefully with a brush rather than using tweezers? :shutup: 

While I'm at it, how is your Grandmother at sucking eggs?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

people said nasty things about us on social media, and I was very busy. Of course, it's always easy to bravely call people cowards, or say they have no testicles, or whatever, if you're in the public echo chamber of Twitter, safe from having to have the courage to directly address the people you blame, but within easy reach of low-level employees who have to stay up until odd hours and skip lunch to make sure press releases get pushed out. Exhausting and exasperating.

That does indeed sound an unenviable station to be required to maintain Edward. There are times when Twitter seems to operate like a flock of birds at the sound of a gunshot - lots of respondents thrown up into the ether, simultaneously swirling round the same point in space with great noise, never going anywhere...

Your comments about bravery caused me to reflect on how rarely we hear the opposite case put, viz. 'he had brave testicles.' We are apt to it seems fixate upon dimension and mass, to the exclusion of ascribing qualities of behaviour...

Amidst this however you continue handsomely to shape a silver Yak, in a an act of continuous valour. :thumbsup2:

Tony 

• Like 2