Flying boats and float planes GB chat

6 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Ok, count me in!

I'm sure I have something in the stash for a wet day.

Rick.

Hi Rick,

I've added you to the list, thanks for joining! We're now just 4 members away from reaching the 2017 vote!

Cheers

Jaime

1 minute ago, Rob G said:

No worries Jaime. My reading of your post was that evidence for the inclusion of amphibious helicopters was required. Which I hope I've supplied! Here's hoping that we'll get to this GB sooner rather than later.

Thanks again Rob! I asked that out of my ignorance but now I've learned something new and that made my day worthwhile :)

We need just 4 more members to reach the vote. I'm certain your post with pictures and videos of amphibian helicopters and the superb Beriev 200 will stir some interest and get us the needed participants :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

It's a field of aviation that spans the history of flight. From Sopwith Babys, Spitfires, DC-3s, Tiger Moths and Twin Otters on floats, the Schneider aircraft, then the big Felixstowe F.2a (will we see one of the WNW kits?), Dornier Do-X, Stranraers and Sunderlands, Mavis's and Catalinas to Sea Masters and Be-200s, there's something for everyone. Even helicopter jockeys.

Come on people, join in the extravaganza. No cookies, but it'll be fun and probably educational too.

• Like 2

Great pitch for the GB, Rob! Thanks :)

The WNW Felixstowe is a magnificent kit. I'd be tempted to do it but I don't have the space to display a 90 cm-wingspan aircraft... :(

Anyway, I hope the pictures of a built one will make someone think seriously about it: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3115&cat=5

Cheers

Jaime

I'll second that.

Thanks to Amodel (1/72!!) and Academy (1/200) we are also able to build this, to my eye, beautiful aircraft; Howard Hughes Hercules:

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Great video, Tony!

Here's some information on the kits you mentioned:

Amodel 1/72 Hercules: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/132432-amodel-72030-hughes-h-4-hercules

Should the Academy be the Minicraft 1/200 Hercules? https://www.scalemates.com/kits/191567-minicraft-model-kits-11657-hughes-h-4-hercules

Cheers

Jaime

3 minutes ago, Rob G said:

For those who doubt the potential variety, here's a list from Wikipedia- I haven't even heard of some of the COMPANIES that made these things, let alone the aircraft. The Canadian Vickers Vedette, anyone? They made 60 of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_seaplanes_and_amphibious_aircraft

Thanks again, Rob! With your enthusiasm for the theme can I invite you for co-hosting the GB if it gets through? :)

The Vickers Vedette is a nice classical one but for a weird proposition I think nothing beats the Caproni Ca.60 triple triplane flying boat :D

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

Thanks again, Rob! With your enthusiasm for the theme can I invite you for co-hosting the GB if it gets through? :)

The Vickers Vedette is a nice classical one but for a weird proposition I think nothing beats the Caproni Ca.60 triple triplane flying boat :D

Cheers

Jaime

Apologies, yes it is the Minicraft 1/200 Hughes Hercules.

I built it around 14 years ago. Even at 1/200 it is a large model.

Because it is so '1940s' and silver, if put on a stand it displays well, and even goes down well with 'ladies of the house' ;) .

That Caproni is insane! :o ! I had to do a double take in the photograph, it looks like a seaside hotel, not an aircraft.

Did that thing ever fly? It's completely bonkers :D !

TonyT

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spaddad said:

Ekranoplans?

Hovercraft?

Good questions. I think Ekranoplans that are aircfraft shaped should be eligible. Those that have no wings and seem like racing boats, as well as hovercrafts would be out of scope.

So, examples like the "Caspian Monster" would be eligible:

More info on ekranoplanes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle

I would consider the Aquaglide 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle#/media/File:Aquaglide_2.jpg

and the Skimmerfoil: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle#/media/File:Skimmerfoil_Jorg_IV-001.jpg

as examples of non-eligible ekranoplanes, as they are more similar to racing boats than to aircraft.

Any comments on this would be welcome.

Cheers

Jaime

Revised the stash:

Matchbox Stranraer

Roden Felixtowe
Modelsvit VVA-14
Modelsvit Be-12
Amodel Do-26

Aerovac Breguet 521 Bizerte

Contrail Latecoere 631

Contrail Short Maia

AirKits Tupolev ANT-8

Enough to choose from :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pin said:

Revised the stash:

Matchbox Stranraer

Roden Felixtowe
Modelsvit VVA-14
Modelsvit Be-12
Amodel Do-26

Aerovac Breguet 521 Bizerte

Contrail Latecoere 631

Contrail Short Maia

AirKits Tupolev ANT-8

Enough to choose from :)

Great choice Pin!  I have the Felixstowe in the stash and looks superb. 

Cheers

Jaime 

14 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Just found I have the old Revellers kit of the Convair Tradewind in the stash, but also unexpectedly the Combat Models version in 1/72, which is blooming enormous and doesn't come recommended see the attached !

http://www.seawings.co.uk/ModArt - Tradewind by Richard Staszak.htm

Cheers Pat

I just had a quick look at that link Pat.

Now to say that kit is a major challenge, would be like saying FIAT 127's had a tiny rust problem :shutup:  :o !

The Tradewind really is a stunning aircraft.

Cross GB request (hope this is ok Jaime, I'll remove if not) ; for anyone wanting to build more than  one, or even two flying boats next year:

I need just three people for the Spanish Civil War GB II.

Many seaplanes were present in the SCW, and often lesser known examples.

For both these Group Builds; this is a nice book on inter-war Luftwaffe seaplanes:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/sea-planes-of-the-legion-condor-the-story-of-as-88-squadron-in-the-spanish-civil-war-a-1936-1939-4057.html

Aircraft suitable for both this GB here and the SCW one include CANT 501, CANT 506, Junkers Ju-52 See (both available from Supemodel/Italeri), Dornier Wal (Amodel injection and the old Airmodel vac), Heinkel He-59 and 60 (Special Hobby and the latter from Aviation USK too), Fairchild 91 (Sword and Special Hobby), Arado 96 w (Special Hobby) , Heinkel He 115 (Matchbox and Revell 1/72, Special Hobby 1/48), Macchi M 41 (Steelwork), it goes on......,

So, if you feel like spreading the love, please consider both GB's, this bit of mutual support could increase all our chances of building floaty wings things.

Im going to put most of this post on the SCW GB too, to encourage the sharing :) .

Both need the same, tiny number of people now.

All the best 

TonyT

PS: If you haven't got a co-host yet Jaime, stick me on the interview list if I seem a 'possible' :) .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Jaime, I'm sure my slowly growing (?) collection of Luftflotte 5 planes could do with some sort of seaplane too, so please count me in.

Hi VP,

You're in the list now, thanks for your support and interest and very happy to have you on board :) 

I'd like to see one or more of those Luftflotte 5 planes built. What are the possibilities for this GB?

Cheers

Jaime

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Just found I have the old Revellers kit of the Convair Tradewind in the stash, but also unexpectedly the Combat Models version in 1/72, which is blooming enormous and doesn't come recommended see the attached !

http://www.seawings.co.uk/ModArt - Tradewind by Richard Staszak.htm

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

The Tradewind is a magnificent machine but it's a shame there's no injection molded version available. Vacuum-form kits just scare me away...

31 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Cross GB request (hope this is ok Jaime, I'll remove if not) ; for anyone wanting to build more than  one, or even two flying boats next year:

I need just three people for the Spanish Civil War GB II.

Many seaplanes were present in the SCW, and often lesser known examples.

For both these Group Builds; this is a nice book on inter-war Luftwaffe seaplanes:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/sea-planes-of-the-legion-condor-the-story-of-as-88-squadron-in-the-spanish-civil-war-a-1936-1939-4057.html

Aircraft suitable for both this GB here and the SCW one include CANT 501, CANT 506, Junkers Ju-52 See (both available from Supemodel/Italeri), Dornier Wal (Amodel injection and the old Airmodel vac), Heinkel He-59 and 60 (Special Hobby and the latter from Aviation USK too), Fairchild 91 (Sword and Special Hobby), Arado 96 w (Special Hobby) , Heinkel He 115 (Matchbox and Revell 1/72, Special Hobby 1/48), Macchi M 41 (Steelwork), it goes on......,

So, if you feel like spreading the love, please consider both GB's, this bit of mutual support could increase all our chances of building floaty wings things.

Im going to put most of this post on the SCW GB too, to encourage the sharing :) .

Both need the same, tiny number of people now.

All the best 

TonyT

PS: If you haven't got a co-host yet Jaime, stick me on the interview list if I seem a 'possible' :) .

Your request is perfectly fine, Tony! I've also signed to the SCW GB proposal and promised to build the Vickers/CASA Type 245 in Spanish Republic colours :)

vicker10.jpg

And thanks for the list of possible common subjects and the link to the book.

I gladly accept your offer to co-host the GB! I'm also trying to convince Rob G to accept, as he's been so enthusiastic about thisGB :) 

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good questions. I think Ekranoplans that are aircfraft shaped should be eligible. Those that have no wings and seem like racing boats, as well as hovercrafts would be out of scope.

So let me get this straight.....You are reducing the scope of this already rather narrowly focussed GB?  :hmmm:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So let me get this straight.....You are reducing the scope of this already rather narrowly focussed GB?  :hmmm:

Yes,  we don't want it to get unmanageable :P

58 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Hi Pat,

The Tradewind is a magnificent machine but it's a shame there's no injection molded version available. Vacuum-form kits just scare me away...

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jamie

There is an Amodel version in 1/72 if you have about £230 burning a hole in your pocket !

Or dear old Revell did a much smaller one, link below to show what the box looks like I got on of these for about £5 on EvilBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-Germany-Convair-R3Y-2-Tradewind-MISB-Ltd-Ed-/381780352161?hash=item58e3e1dca1:g:hRwAAMXQhV5SMvQr

cheers Pat

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Can I suggest you read back over some of Mish & Enzo's recent postings on the subject.....What's not given freely (& fairly) can be taken by force.  :mellow:

Could you please point me to examples of those postings?  I'm not sure I get your point. 

11 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Jamie

There is an Amodel version in 1/72 if you have about £230 burning a hole in your pocket !

Or dear old Revell did a much smaller one, link below to show what the box looks like I got on of these for about £5 on EvilBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-Germany-Convair-R3Y-2-Tradewind-MISB-Ltd-Ed-/381780352161?hash=item58e3e1dca1:g:hRwAAMXQhV5SMvQr

cheers Pat

Hi Pat, 

Thanks for the info.  I wasn't aware of that. 

Cheers 

Jaime 

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Pat,

Your request is perfectly fine, Tony! I've also signed to the SCW GB proposal and promised to build the Vickers/CASA Type 245 in Spanish Republic colours :)

vicker10.jpg

And thanks for the list of possible common subjects and the link to the book.

I gladly accept your offer to co-host the GB! I'm also trying to convince Rob G to accept, as he's been so enthusiastic about thisGB :) 

Cheers

Jaime

That's great Jaime :)

Happy to co-host, the more to share the merrier.

The Vildebeeste has that amazing wave scheme as a possibility.

It's good that Special Hobby release fascinating subjects like this.

Pat, the old Revell Tradewind; it has great artwork! Looks like a spacecraft :) 

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1