Flying boats and float planes GB chat

12 minutes ago, rob85 said:

:gobsmacked:   I'm glad it's October and not April.     Who'da thunkit?    I hope this is a humongous success for Airfix. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

Very much up for this jamie! Great idea.

I am in for the maritime GB as well, if they both go through I will still do both quite happily!

Rob

Hi Rob, thanks very much for joining, it's always a pleasure to have you on board :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, zegeye said:

Count me too. I have a lots of this in my stash.

Hi zegeye, welcome and thank you for your interest!

You're both added to the list and we just need 7 more members now :)

Cheers

Jaime

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

:gobsmacked:   I'm glad it's October and not April.     Who'da thunkit?    I hope this is a humongous success for Airfix. 

I agree, the 3D renderings look awesome! Wrong scale for me, though... Let's hope Airfix issues a 1/72 version soon.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dave the Doctor said:

Noooooo, not another great subject :banghead:

Count me in!

Dave

Hi Dave, 

You're in the list! Thanks for your interest!

We just need 6 more to get to the vote :)

Cheers

Jaime 

8 hours ago, jrlx said:

Keeping with the spirit of the eligibility description, I would accept helicopters on floats (in fact, these crossed my mind when I wrote the above text :) ). Regarding those with a hull-type fuselage, I'd only accept those that can be proven to land on and take-off from water in regular operation (I'm not aware of these types but I'm not an expert). So, for these cases, a picture of the aircraft in operation would be helpful.

Helicopters on floats - check. I've got a couple of them

Hull-type amphibians. Info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibious_helicopter

and some links to photos (can't get them to show up since the site upgrade)

Sea King
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/americas/article3083746.ece

A Royal Personage in command, and reported in The Times. Good recommendation?

Super Frelon

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1964/1964 - 2033.html

Chinook (and Sea Knight and others, including the HUP) - although not amphibious per se, they were designed to be able to operate from water when required (and have done).

http://www.boeingimages.com/archive/CH-47A-Chinook-in-Float-Test-2F3XC5UI9_B.html

HH-3F video.

Mil Mi-14 (this one works for some reason)

Mi14P_water_cu.jpg

A quick google for 'helicopters on water' will yield numerous results, and YouTube has video, of course.

Just trying to open up the GB to 'alternative aviators' ie rotorheads.

And unrelated to amphibious helicopters, here's a rather spiffing video of a modern flying boat, the Beriev Be-200.

• Like 2

Apologies for the late arrival to this GB.

As someone with a bit of a thing for flying boats, with if I'm honest too many in the stash already but still adding to them please count me in.

i have many of the old Contrail flying boats, but having never built a vacform kit before this might be a bit ambitious, however if suitable hand holding was offered by my fellow GB participants,  :please:     I would like to build the Blackburn Perth.

i hope this is OK ?

cheers Pat

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

As someone with a bit of a thing for flying boats, with if I'm honest too many in the stash already but still adding to them please count me in.

i have many of the old Contrail flying boats, but having never built a vacform kit before this might be a bit ambitious, however if suitable hand holding was offered by my fellow GB participants,  :please:     I would like to build the Blackburn Perth.

i hope this is OK ?

cheers Pat

Tell ya what Pat, if you'll try the Perth, I'll try my Contrail Stranraer. How's them apples? Not sure about the hand-holding, I'll be in need of some of that m'self!

I had planned a TAA Catalina, but the Strannie will do! (And it'll get me started with vacs, of which I have a number.)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Tony,

You're in the list now. It's great having you on board!

Rob is right: the Macchi 72 seaplane racer is eligible, and what a beautiful machine it is too! Can we count with this as one of your entries if the GB goes through?

Cheers

Jaime

Hello Jaime,

Yes ok, thanks, I'll make the Macchi 72 priority number one :) .

Macchi MC.72- World Record Holder since 1934

It apparently still holds the world record for fastest seaplane (since 1934; 709.2 km/h).

Here's a nice snippet that shows a few more of the lovely Schneider races aircraft, all of them floaty things:

It would be nice if someone did another. Schneider race aircraft; a Supermarine or Curtiss for example. :) 

I don't know how to edit quotes, but in one of your previous posts you suggest the Blohm und Voss 'Winking'.

:shocked:

Now that's a new one, perhaps a little like the 'Wiking' but with a nervous tic :D ?

I'm assuming it's a spell-checker thing, as mine just suggested the Blohm und Voss 'Woking'.

A Luftwaffe flying boat named after a Surrey township. Now that would indeed be a fascinating thing to behold ;) .

Spellcheckers :confused: ...

Not many people needed now! (I tried to give a little 'bump' here to keep it visible).

All best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
My Wiking became Winking then went to Woking
  • Like 3

Blooming Nora Antoine

I thought I was bad you have your own personalised GB going on there, so are you offering to build all of them for this GB :wicked:

9 hours ago, Rob G said:

Tell ya what Pat, if you'll try the Perth, I'll try my Contrail Stranraer. How's them apples? Not sure about the hand-holding, I'll be in need of some of that m'self!

I had planned a TAA Catalina, but the Strannie will do! (And it'll get me started with vacs, of which I have a number.)

Great Rob

Thats sorted, just need to get the GB over the line now !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob G said:

Helicopters on floats - check. I've got a couple of them

Hull-type amphibians. Info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibious_helicopter

and some links to photos (can't get them to show up since the site upgrade)

Sea King
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/americas/article3083746.ece

A Royal Personage in command, and reported in The Times. Good recommendation?

Super Frelon

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1964/1964 - 2033.html

Chinook (and Sea Knight and others, including the HUP) - although not amphibious per se, they were designed to be able to operate from water when required (and have done).

http://www.boeingimages.com/archive/CH-47A-Chinook-in-Float-Test-2F3XC5UI9_B.html

HH-3F video.

Mil Mi-14 (this one works for some reason)

A quick google for 'helicopters on water' will yield numerous results, and YouTube has video, of course.

Just trying to open up the GB to 'alternative aviators' ie rotorheads.

And unrelated to amphibious helicopters, here's a rather spiffing video of a modern flying boat, the Beriev Be-200.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the references and videos, very interesting. I had already agreed to include helicopters capable of operating from water and edited the original post but now we have some nice references to inspire the GB participants :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

i hope this is OK ?

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

You're added to the list! Thanks for your interest and welcome! The Blackburn Perth is a superb machine and would be a great entry to the GB!

Cheers

Jaime

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Jaime,

Yes ok, thanks, I'll make the Macchi 72 priority number one :) .

It apparently still holds the world record for fastest seaplane (since 1934; 709.2 km/h).

Here's a nice snippet that shows a few more of the lovely Schneider races aircraft, all of them floaty things:

It would be nice if someone did another. Schneider race aircraft; a Supermarine or Curtiss for example. :) 

I don't know how to edit quotes, but in one of your previous posts you suggest the Blohm und Voss 'Winking'.

:shocked:

Now that's a new one, perhaps a little like the 'Wiking' but with a nervous tic :D ?

I'm assuming it's a spell-checker thing, as mine just suggested the Blohm und Voss 'Woking'.

A Luftwaffe flying boat named after a Surrey township. Now that would indeed be a fascinating thing to behold ;) .

Spellcheckers :confused: ...

Not many people needed now! (I tried to give a little 'bump' here to keep it visible).

All best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony,

Thanks for accepting the challenge of building the Macchi 72 and thanks for the picture and video. It was a really beautiful aircraft!

It would be nice if other Schneider Trophy aircraft were built, as there are many interesting types.

Regarding the "Winking" flying boat, I guess it was a spell checker intrusion... These things have a life of their own and keep doing what suits them... :angry:

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out: I've corrected the post were it was mentioned :)

Thanks for your interest and support!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Antoine said:

Mmmmh, let's see.

1/48 flying boats:

That's not much...

1/48 Floats:

1/72 boats:

6 hours ago, Antoine said:

And 1/72 floats:

Hi Antoine,

Thanks for listing so many interesting examples of aircraft in the scope of this GB. I'd build them all if I could...

Cheers

Jaime

35 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the references and videos, very interesting. I had already agreed to include helicopters capable of operating from water and edited the original post but now we have some nice references to inspire the GB participants :)

Cheers

Jaime

No worries Jaime. My reading of your post was that evidence for the inclusion of amphibious helicopters was required. Which I hope I've supplied! Here's hoping that we'll get to this GB sooner rather than later.

• Like 1