Flying boats and float planes GB chat

I have cast my vote and it was certainly not an easy task. A lot of back and forth went on until I decided upon the one for my vote. What I did see was an exceptional showcase of talent from some very good scale modellers. Congratulations to all that participated, this that competed builds and to the hosts for their work and continued encouragement.

Regards,

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, Kent!

You're totally right about the showcase of talent in the gallery. I still haven't managed to decide for which one of the finished models should I vote... :hypnotised:

Cheers

Jaime

Well There's a thing. I didn't realise it was a competition.:penguin: hows about that. :D 

It was really hard to pick from such a vast array of wonderful aircraft. Congrats to all those who took part, finished or no and to everyone who set up this my first GB.

@jrlx  You're a star. thanks for introducing me to the world of the group build, its just a shame I didn't get a chance to follow all of the lovely aeroplanes while being built. 

I didn't follow the one I voted for,:huh: what a travesty.  I have read it now however.:christmas:

I really enjoyed doing this GB not knowing about the vote, I tried a myriad of new techniques that I probably wouldn't have tried if I had of known. It was also a good excuse to shove the Cat to the front of my pile.

Thanks again to everyone. More of this GB action eh, that's what I say.  pip pip

Johnny:cat:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Thanks all for a great GB Sorry for not finishing Comments along the way were greatly appreciated Thanks to Jamie for all your work 

Martin H

I wouldn't be too worried about not completing your build Martin, I have had several failures during my time on here, usually because something has gone wrong or I have too much going on at the time. I am sure that there will be plenty of opportunities for you to have another go, just enjoy yourself, it's a hobby and as such is meant to be fun.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the kind words and for your interest and participation in the GB.

Now don't forget to vote! The poll is open till Monday, 22 January, 23:59 GMT! :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Can I add my thanks to the chorus? Both to Jamie for being such a good moderator and to Enzo for all the technical support: a lot of work for both of you which is greatly appreciated.

Normally I do not participate in group builds as I do not like working to deadlines - this is my hobby after all - but I can honestly write that this has been a stupendous experience, what a wonderful group. Congratulations to you all whether you finished or not: I have learned so much about aircraft and modelling techniques. I just hope that I can join another GB later with another of my off-the-wall subjects!

P

• Like 4

I would echo the comments if others in that I don't usually participate in gb's due to the fact that it usually means putting something else on hold. However this was great fun, and the quality of the models is extremely high. Tough to decide, I wish I could have had 3 or 4 votes!

Thanks to everyone who joined In!

Ian

• Like 2

Yes!  I have had so much fun doing these GeeBees...on my list are:

10th Britmodeller Anniversary.

NATO/Warsaw Pact

Coastal/Maritime Patrol

11th Hour

100th RAF Anniversary

Airfix Golden Years

Hawker

Maybe I can squeeze in another!

But not in that order, obviously!  These group builds really put some serious dents in the stash, which needs to be done.  As a 'kit addict' I find myself with stacks of boxes and nowhere to hang my clothes!:D

Edited by John D.C. Masters
forgot one!
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Just a quick question are any of us from this wonderful GB thinking of doing any others this year?:whistle:

John.

Yes, several, I plan to do: Hawker, Carriers Ahoy!, MTO, Brits Abroad and Pacific at war.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Just a quick question are any of us from this wonderful GB thinking of doing any others this year?:whistle:

John.

Yes John, my plans for GB's include Boeing 737, Hawker and Carriers Ahoy which will keep me busy over the next few months. They will be quickly followed by RAF 100, Airfix Golden Years and Eleventh Hour GB's. 

I did think about entering the BM 10th Anniversary GB, but I am still searching for a suitably themed subject. I have come across a Tornado commemorative scheme that has an extremely tenuous link. Maybe with two GB's to finish and others due start over the coming weeks I should reconsider this one. Naaaahh, it runs until May 13, still plenty of time yet. :winkgrin:

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

John.

I intend to finish my Dornier flying boat till the end of January. Then I'll try to finish my long-staled Royal Navy Phantom.

My first GB will be Hawker GB with a Harrier GR.3. I intend to participate in the RAF Anniversary GB, in order to finish a Defiant and Tiger Moth, which should be below the 25% rule.

I have models for almost all other aircraft-themed GBs but participation will be dependent on how the above turns out.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

Dear all,

The poll has just closed and I'm very happy to announce that the winner is @Xmald with his exquisitely detailed and weathered Caudron G.4 Hydroavion!

It's also noteworthy that the winning machine is a biplane on floats from the WWI era - a refreshing detour from the more usual types!

All in all, an excellent work! Very well done and congratulations! :clap2:

It's also time for me to officially close this GB. I'd like to thank my co-hosts and all participants, as well as all others who followed the builds and kept the interest and enthusiasm alive. I'm very pleased with the excellency of the finished builds, which made voting quite a challenging decision!

I should get back to finishing a few models of my own now ;)

Thanks again and see you around! :thumbsup:

Jaime

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Jamie for running the whole shebang and Bravo to @Xmald , a stunning looking bird indeed. Well deserved. 

John. :cat:

PS. So rude of me, following in @JOCKNEY ‘s footsteps please let me say thanks to the kind soul who voted for me too. I’m very honoured. :wub: Thanks Secret Santa. X

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

I have to say I have really enjoyed this GB.

As a Seaplane / Flying Boat / Float Plane enthusiast I would never have believed the number of aircraft in this GB I had never even heard of, which were built to such an amazing standard. Without wishing to embarrass Xmaid but I have the feeling that if you were ever fortunate enough to see the model face to face as it were, that you would see something wonderful that you had missed, on all the previous occasions you had looked at it. I am really glad that this build won as the standard of craftsmanship and quality of construction is simply exceptional. 

Can I also thank the 2 people who were kind enough to give me a vote for my builds, I can't begin to describe what a wonderful surprise that was ! :heart:

Finally Jaime, without whom this GB would never have reached to levels of participation, enthusiasm and encouragement that was so evident throughout. I know that Tonytiger66 was also to co-host but I haven't heard from him recently so hope he is OK as I know his health is not the best but he never ceases to encourage others even when he is too poorly to be building himself. Therefore Jaime for shouldering all the responsibility and pulled it off to perfection. Hip Hip Hooray ! :partytime:

Whoops this post has turned into a small novel ! 

Finally can I ask everyone to put the Maritime and Coastal Command GB in their diarys please, where my Blackburn Perth and Rosie's Arado 196 will be making a reappearance :pray:

cheers Pat

• Like 8

John, Pat,

Thank you both for the kind words, interest and participation! It was a pleasure to host this GB and a great source of discoveries: being an enthusiast but not an expert on floaty-flying machines I got to know many types I didn't know existed! Not to mention the new techniques I learned from fellow modellers and the inspiration from so many high-standard builds!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3