Revell Tornado F3 1/72

Morning all,

First post in the main forum so please be gentle - posting for pointers. Sharing plodding progress on a Tornado F3 from an old Revell kit.

I had no intention to buy or build a Tornado of any stripe but saw the box looking faded, battered and forlorn in the window of a local charity shop and thought I'd save it from just going to landfill. £2.99 later I  have what appears to be an intact kit although the decals look a bit mildewed so it remains to be seen if they will be ok to use.

Progress previous to last night was limited to figuring out the wing sweep workings and sticking the tail on. Last night I had a bit of a stab at putting the cockpit together with some limited aesthetic tweaking.

Seats diverged from instructions based on an online picture of the seat - aluminium frame, olive backrest, black headrest, light grey seat pad. Added some masking tape straps and some stretched sprue ejector handles.

IMG_24491_zpsk4ubmucy.jpg

• Like 4

Tiny bit more progress last night - finished putting together and painting the cockpit, decaling the instrument panels and then putting the body halves together. A lot of filling and sanding in the offing to get the seam hidden

Cockpit and weights into the bottom half of the fuselage. Ignore the paint on the wing roots - Just checking to see how much the sweep mechanism marring I get

IMG_24561_zps5se911tp.jpg

Decal sheet is a bit mildewed but the panels lifted and applied ok - may get away with this. They really don't look great but will do a job.

and how much of this can be seen with the canopy in place? Next to nothing - as usual

IMG_39401_zpsirfqddty.jpg

• Like 5

Some more progress - first model I've airbrushed from the outset so a bit of a learning curve. At one point this afternoon it resembled nothing more than a ball of masking tape.

I'm deeply skeptical about the shape and fins on the droptank and was guessing at the colours of the Skyflash missiles as there seemed to be loads of variations on grey, white, rings, fin flashes etc. Annoyingly I've fogged a bit of the canopy and one of the bits of tape strapping on the rear headrest as started to lift. Also not keen on the sheen on the fin and spine and difference between handpainted and airbrushed sections. Nowt I can probably do about those now - add it to the experience bank for next time

In progress pictures below - still need to finish painting the nosecone, accents on wingtips, fin and tailplane, wheel bays and fit the wheels, random scoops and probes etc.

14600494_10154647693367577_1648648518_o_

14614279_10154647693447577_770726850_o_z

14618639_10154647740247577_1191833752_o_

• Like 7

Thanks for point me toward your thread - really useful. Nice job!

Have barely looked at the decals yet - too busy trying to decipher the painting instructions and their multiple grey hatchings which all look (to my eyes) alike.

I see you've added the steel grey colour around the shoulders of the wings, in a box around the sweep cut-out and brought the black highlight right out to the nose cone colour. I'll have to have a bit of a think how to continue to finish mine

This looks great, and to my recollection this is a repop of the Italeri. I have the revell box in the stash as well but will most likely hold off building it as the GR versions originally from Revell are cheaply had and I might attempt to use those as a base kit to bash an EF! 

I am looking forward to more!

• Like 1

I've reached an interesting stage - probably best described as having made a right bottom of it

I'd painted the greys and as I'd mixed off the grey I kept a little back for touching up at the end and masked off the assorted areas of other colours following (or what I thought was following the painting scheme)

IMG_39591_zpskcrw0tkj.jpg

Unfortunately what I thought were meant to be black leading edges on the tailplanes were meant to be grey/black decals and while I had just enough grey to respray the top surface there was nowhere near enough to do the bottom and when I've tried to mix a new batch colour matched it isn't quite right so the underside of the tailplanes looks a bit off. It doesn't look right so now I'm slowly going through the motions to finish it

IMG_39661_zpsbwivpgfw.jpg

Just a quick note, you should aware that all Skyflash missiles were light aircraft grey in colour  (Skyflash grey/ Sparrow White,F3 did not carry Sparrow) and the Aim9L sidewinder missiles should be  painted Gull grey. 

Selwyn

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Just a quick note, you should aware that all Skyflash missiles were light aircraft grey in colour  (Skyflash grey/ Sparrow White,F3 did not carry Sparrow) and the Aim9L sidewinder missiles should be  painted Gull grey. 

Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn.

Dagnabbit! I just searched google images for "skyflash missile" and it returned about 1/3 in grey and 2/3 in white (with variations on fin dots & striping) and lacking other info I went with the majority. Sidewinders I was going from another instruction book as the Revell one didn't seem to specify. I might try prizing them off to repaint but the Skyflashes I'll just live with.

Well... at the moment it looks like a waste of £2.99

I battled though the decals and got what was looking like an ok (but not good) model (as pictured below) but I'd never used a clearcoat before and went over it with an airbruch applied coat of Humbrol matt clear and it has turned out awful. Powdery mottled appearance all over - a right mess.

I'm thinking that the airbrush has made one of the coalescents in the paint evaporate too quickly so the polymer in the clear hasn't had a chance to flow out and filmform properly but is this a common problem and does anyone have a good idea on how to rectify? I'm thinking on spraying with very very thinned clear again to try and get it to redisperse and flow out

IMG_39721_zpstqxwtjij.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
13 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Looking good, though I hate to be that guy, but the vertical fins on the tanks shouldn't be there. Might give the italeri a go myself, looks like a F3 to me.

:) happy to take pointers wherever I can get them

Might just be the angle of the pictures but the tank fins were 4x on 45degrees off vertical with the top ones offset forward (or the bottom ones were offset to the rear) - looked a bit odd but like the Skyflash I'd taken a punt