Breguet 19 and Potez 25 XXV: any fans?

TonyTiger66

56 minutes ago, JWM said:

One more:

26-1.jpg

taken from the page:

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft26175.htm

It said, that this is Republican Potez XXV with some Gnome-Rhone 420 HP engine, and machine was obsolate already at start of SCW. Note lack of MG - so likely a school machine?

Regards

J-W

Hello J-W

A kit was made of this one:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/936132-cottage-industry-models-002-potez-25-a2

They have a detail incorrect; It isn't a Gnome-Rhone motor in this one, it's a Salmson 18 CMb of 500hp.

I would love to make a model of this one; one of the rarer 'flavours' :D .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

A quick addition J-W, I've seen many profiles and some built models of Potez XXV TOE (inline engine) in Republican colours, but I've never seen a period photograph.

Only the one photograph of the Nationalist TOE.

Have you, or has anyone else reading the thread, ever seen a photo of a XXV TOE (inline engine) in Spanish Republican colours?

Yours hopefully

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi Tony

Thanks for correction with engine type. Have you  seen the profiles of Jupiter driven SCW Potezes in my previous post - the last one at page 1? They do not have numbers, so I am always a bit suspicious about them and I also prefere to see a photo. Indeed - I think I did not saw any photos besides that above radial one and TOE of Franco side. BTW - I think not each one with in-line (or rather  W Lorraine) engine is TOE,  TOE has a deeper fuselage I think.

Here is nice set of photos of different versions:

http://aerophile.over-blog.com/article-potez-25-98428071.html

If i will find photo of Lorraine driven from SCW I will let you know

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Thanks Jerzy-Wojtek.

Yes the TOE is Lorraine. Lots of other in-line engines.

I was just covering myself in case someone may have re-engined a TOE.

So many, many variations and nations.

I wonder if the unarmed Salmson above was a Potez 25.12; reconnaissance variant?

I've a strange feeling I have one more picture of it somewhere; burnt out :( .

I've seen profiles and models of the Jupiter (Gnome Jupiter?) ones, but again, no photographs of them in Spain on either side.

I need to read again, but the TOE in Spain was, I think, from some kind of political defector, but who, from where and why, I've forgotten :confused:   :clif: .

On the Breguet 19 front; this is the book I am reading, it's very old and fragile:

Costes et le Brix

Here inside:

Costes et le Brix

It has some nice pictures, actually hand pasted in:

Costes et le Brix

I would love to model this one too! :pilot: 

I am using my iPhone to 'scan' each page. Then hopefully eventually make a PDF book. It is out of copyright so this should be fine.

It's almost too fragile to read, but it's a book and that's what it's for, so I'm just being careful.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I've a strange feeling I have one more picture of it somewhere; burnt out :( .

Tony- I have "two" photos of it - in fact this is a one photo and a mirror reflection of it (you can recognize it only looking on trees in background...)

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
misprint
  • Like 1

On 22.11.2016 at 7:39 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

They have a detail incorrect; It isn't a Gnome-Rhone motor in this one, it's a Salmson 18 CMb of 500hp.

TonyT

I'd like to point out, that (opposite to the Bristol Jupiter, even GR-built :) ) the Salmson 18c was twin-row, 18-cylinder WATER-COOLED radial - hence the undernose radiator.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

In a Polish small and old (does not means "bad" at all) monography of Breguet XIX (TBU series No 44 by T.J Kowalski)  it is said, that Breguets  19.7 & 19.8 were military versions based on "Bidon" (not to mix with  "Super bidon") and it suggested, that they used the same modified wing. There are drawings of "Bidon" by Molina and a kit of Br 19.7 and 19.8 by Omega - and the wings does not look the same. Anybody knows more on this? I appreciete any comments here.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Hello fellow Breguet XIX fans!  I apologize for jumping back in here after being away from the thread for so long but I've been busy working on Formaplane's Super Bidon version, "Cuatro Vientos".  A few photos to show what I've been up to:

CV%20fuselage%20skin%20template_zpsd0vy9

CV%20fuse%20skin_zpscmp9g6q1.jpg

After cutting out and cleaning up all the Vac-formed parts, I sanded off the crude stringer detail on the fuselage and made new skins from plastic sheet that was embossed on the inside surface with a ball-point pen to replicate the stringers.  The skins were added to the fuselage sides after the fuselage had been glued together and the main seams filled and sanded.

CV%20canopy_zpslii4ncoe.jpg

I carefully cut away the kit's cockpit enclosure and glued it together to make a form to use in vacuforming a clear replacement for the entire area. 

CV%20Cockpit%203_zpstd5ydudu.jpg

CV%20Cockpir%20painted%202_zpsl4cgwde0.j

I built a cockpit based on my best guess for what it might have looked like.

CV%20fuselage%20skin%202_zpsqiog0nhb.jpg

Here are the fuselage skins in place, the photo also shows some of the work done with Milliput to form the wing fillets.

CV%20intake_zpss4sru7nu.jpg

White metal landing gear legs and some of the detail added under the nose.

CV%20spats_zpsajtau6wm.jpg

It gradually starts to look like an airplane!

CV%20in%20primer%202_zpsrbq2iy8t.jpg

She looks good in a coat of primer.

CV%20white%20paint_zpslnlvnocv.jpg

Even better in white!

CV%20wing%20masking_zps8bcuwtsx.jpg

CV%20tail%20masking_zpsncqid5g0.jpg

CV%20tail%20trim_zps8qfbnrz4.jpg

Cv%20lower%20wing%20trim_zpsvz1juq6c.jpg

Lots of masking and careful painting.

CV%20fuselage%20stripe_zps01s07oa6.jpg

Paint is done.

CV%20decals_zpsbyu6ivcp.jpg

Decals are now on too, still a long way to go though. 

-Dan

• Like 8

That's a beauty Dan!

The stringer work on the fuselage has worked really well and that's a lovely interior :thumbsup2: .

Thanks for sharing this on the thread; very inspiring!

:goodjob: 

TonyT

15 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Spanish Air Force Museum.......Replica????

Definitely a replica, the original was lost somewhere over Mexico.  I hope it is somewhat accurate though, I'm basing a lot of the details of my model on photos of it.

-Dan

15 hours ago, mackem01 said:

On 2/14/2017 at 7:15 PM, Learstang said:

Beautiful work on that Super Bidon, Dan!

Regards,

Jason

On 2/14/2017 at 7:17 PM, stevehed said:

Very impressive.

Regards, Steve

On 2/14/2017 at 8:07 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Blimey!  :o

& wow!  :worthy:

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

On 2/15/2017 at 2:24 AM, JWM said:

Perfect work, Dan!  I am impressed :) 

J-W

On 2/15/2017 at 5:39 AM, greggles.w said:

Great Dan.  Have been quietly watching his one progress over on hyperscale. A very worthy subject, skillfully executed.  Looking forward to seeing it complete.

Thank you all! 

-Dan

• Like 1

On 2/15/2017 at 7:12 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

That's a beauty Dan!

The stringer work on the fuselage has worked really well and that's a lovely interior :thumbsup2: .

Thanks for sharing this on the thread; very inspiring!

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Thanks Tony.  I wasn't sure how well that stringer solution was going to work, I'd only tried something similar once before and that was on a much smaller scale.  I can't wait to pull the masks off the cockpit enclosure and see how much of the interior is visible!

-Dan

• Like 1

Breguet 19.8, so the one with Wright Cyclone engine and 3-blades prop. They was used in Yugoslavia and later in Croatia. It could be a very interesting model.... What exactly propeller was it? Any photos? Any suggestions or tips?

Cheers

J-W

Hello J-W,

There was an Omega resin model of it in 1/72. The kit parts can be seen on the pictures here:

https://www.modelimex.com/1-72-breguet-bre-19-8-gnome-14kdrs-yugoslavia

It's a very attractive variant. The big Yellow 'H' have got one on Special at the moment with 1/3 off. Still an expensive kit, but a nice and unusual one.

Tempting :)!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

There was an Omega resin model of it in 1/72. The kit parts can be seen on the pictures here:

https://www.modelimex.com/1-72-breguet-bre-19-8-gnome-14kdrs-yugoslavia

It's a very attractive variant. The big Yellow 'H' have got one on Special at the moment with 1/3 off. Still an expensive kit, but a nice and unusual one.

I know of course this Omega kit, did not know that they have special reduction now. Thanks! However - I already started  to build it a bit out of scratch  :) . Together with Hit-Kit second one... This is a second running project, besided Polikarpovs R5 & RZ

Cheers

J-W