GWH 1/48 Mig-29 Fulcrum A

It's been a bit since I have done a WIP, so I thought I would share this build. I have heard great things about this kit. After looking over the parts, the detail is amazing. No resin required here! 

Going to build this one OOB with the exception of a metal pitot tube. Decals are from Linden Hill. I will be doing the scheme with the bee on it. The main camo scheme will be painted with Akan paints.  I am not a Mig expert, but there appears to be plenty of photos online to reference. 

IMG_0917_zpsbc7ap3sb.jpg

• Like 2

Well, managed to have a disaster to start the build. While all the parts trees were drying from washing, I decided to go ahead and mask up the canopy. The plastic was very brittle and cracked! I was using very little pressure to apply the tape, but it cracked. Is there any way to fix this? 

IMG_0918_zpsanxocnk3.jpg

Progress so far: Got several sub assemblies complete. The cockpit is ready for a basecoat. The inside of the gear doors had some small ejection pin marks to address, but they were very minor. The fit has been above average, but not perfect. It is not bad, but certainly not like a Tamiya kit. I am however amazed by the level of detail in this kit. 

IMG_0920_zpsr8qs9iwk.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so finally got a reply from the importer for GWH. It will take at least 2 months for a replacement canopy! I might try the superglue trick, but if that doesn't work, then I will suspend work on this model until canopy arrives. Sorry to those watching, but I will revive this WIP when the canopy issue is resolved.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Are you fitting the complete engines or is that fit of the engine covers without them fitted? You can obviously see that some plastic needs removed from the covers but I also found I achieved a better fit without the whole engines fitted.

Muzz

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The seat looks very good, does all the harness stuff come with the kit?

John

Yes, the seat belts are included in the kit. They were hard to work with. I'm not very pleased with how they turned out, but it could be worse I guess.

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Are you fitting the complete engines or is that fit of the engine covers without them fitted? You can obviously see that some plastic needs removed from the covers but I also found I achieved a better fit without the whole engines fitted.

Muzz

The engines have to be fitted to allow the exhaust nozzles to be attached. However, in the pic above, the test fit is without the engine installed. So some work will be required regardless.

Edited by Texan76

5 hours ago, Texan76 said:

The engines have to be fitted to allow the exhaust nozzles to be attached. However, in the pic above, the test fit is without the engine installed. So some work will be required regardless.

I found that you can leave out the vast majority of the engine area (which won't be seen anyway), if you ignore the instructions, you can leave off the main engine and only fit the rear most part where the visible exhaust area attaches to.

Muzz

Thanks Muzz. I'm slowly working and trying to get these intakes in. There will still be a need for filler when it's done I'm afraid.

So far this kit has presented some challenges. The fit has not been very good, and the fit of the intakes/ engine housing is absolutely dreadful.  Not what one would expect from a modern and expensive kit. I will say though that the level of detail on this kit is phenomenal. If I ever get it together neatly, then it ought to look fairly good in the end.

Just got the fuselage halves glued together. Surprisingly, unlike the parts up till this point, the fit was very nice. I'm leaving the sprue around the wingtips on until the last minute to protect the delicate static wicks.

IMG_0402_zpsoetrwhdd.jpg

Edited by Texan76
  • Like 2