Help with SOFIA

CarLos

I only met SOFIA a few days ago, while watching a TV documentary, and I immediately feel in love. Pretty girl, isn't she?

1024px-SOFIA_ED10-0182-01_full.jpg

More info here: https://www.sofia.usra.edu/ and here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratospheric_Observatory_for_Infrared_Astronomy

I am closely following John Hagmann's build in the March 1994 issue of Fine Scale Modeler, using the Revell 747-100 kit (or better, the carrier from the 747/schuttle box) and I already cut the fuselage and made a plug to join the centre section to the tail one. However, I think that the fin's leading edge angle to the vertical is a little off in the kit. Can someone point me to a *good* side view of the 747sp? The several ones that I have are only approximate, and one even refers 45º which is clearly too much judging from photos. Or am I wrong?

A few pics of the work already done, more to follow in a WIP thread:

P1110634.jpg~original

The two front parts are now yet glued, but they are joined with tabs. I will glue them only after re-profiling the wing fairing.

P1110766.jpg~original

P1110770.jpg~original

P1110785.jpg~original

Thanks in advance for any help. Comments about any potential problems welcome!

Carlos

3 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Now that Roden have produced a C-141, you might want to do SOFIA's predecessor, the Gerald P Kuiper Laboratory.

I already inspected the Roden kit. I didn't get it because I don't know if the conversion to C-141A involves more than shortening the fuselage. But it is in my plans!

There was a Fine Scale Modeller issue in the '90s which covers this conversion (I can't recall which issue it was just now, and all my magazines are packed away). The fin and tailplanes need to have extended tips but their leading edge sweep is not changed. The modeller used sections of the fuselage cut into horizontal strips to plank the new fuselage section because he wanted to preserve the open windows. Since you don't need to do that, and since the telescope mount fits in that section, your job is a little easier.

Edited by Jessica
Spelling

On 04/10/2016 at 6:15 PM, Jessica said:

There was a Fine Scale Modeller issue in the '90s which covers this conversion (I can't recall which issue it was just now, and all my magazines are packed away). The fin and tailplanes need to have extended tips but their leading edge sweep is not changed. The modeller used sections of the fuselage cut into horizontal strips to plank the new fuselage section because he wanted to preserve the open windows. Since you don't need to do that, and since the telescope mount fits in that section, your job is a little easier.

Jessica, this is the article I referred to in the first post. 

I would like to preserve the windows but their aspect ratio is far from the real, so I will use decals. I will try to make my own, but this is still far away. Now I am concentrating on the fin angle, and I remember a long time ago to download some reasonable 3-views from the Boeing web page but I can't find them any more in my computer or in their site. Can anybody help?

On 04/10/2016 at 5:43 PM, Eric Mc said:

I have a NASA C-47 on my "to do soon list".

I am not on a NASA theme, but some aircraft are really interesting. For example, an F-104 chase plane... I even think that there are decals for it.

577942main_EC83-22574_672px.jpg

On the telescope subject: I really don't know if will display the telescope. It was uncovered only at the operating altitude and by night, and I like to display my models in natural situations. So I will also keep the slats and flaps closed, as (I think) they were with the aircraft parked. However, may be they show the telescope to the people once in a while, with the mirror protected. What do you think?

This implies a lot with the build. In the "open" situation I must plan ahead the strength of the rear part of the model...