Airfix Lightning F2A 1:48

IMG_3295_zpssci1kut0.jpg

Hello everyone!

I've been away from the modelling desk for quite a while,years even, but it appears that I'm over the block. What better aircraft to restart the old hobby than the Lightning?

It's 1:48 (they all are), its Airfix. There is an Aires cockpit in there as well as their jetpipes and u/c bays. I added a few rivets and quite like the effect, despite it being my first attempt at the technique: seems to make it seem more metallic.

Paints are Vallejo Acrylic Metal Colours.Transfers are Model Alliance. This was a second hand kit with no decals so I bought the RAF Germany set, not realising that the Airfix re-release used the same scheme.

It took ages but I loved building it and am very pleased with the outcome. I even bought another one! 

IMG_3298_zpsviz13fz4.jpg

IMG_3297_zpsqrhr2jvu.jpg

IMG_3293_zpsf9qv6os1.jpg

IMG_3301_zpsumrmq3g2.jpg

IMG_3312_zpsoiewkpze.jpg

IMG_3313_zpsx4pd97gc.jpg

IMG_3308_zps0i7fz8do.jpg

IMG_3003_zps3n1wxskm.jpg

• Like 42

Hi "Hard way",

All I have is the back end of a Lightning, but if it is anything to go by, the rest of the model looks smashing!

I am waiting for more!!!

JR

Very nice - welcome back!

Those Valejo metallics seem to do a good job - that underside view looks particularly good, especially the belly tank for some reason!

Good work!

ATB
Rick

Glad you are returned to the fold and with a cracking build to boot....

If I may venture a mild criticism... you need two Lightnings !!  Seriously I like the finish.  Can you tell a wee bit more about the rivets as they add to the finish?

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I like the finish.  Can you tell a wee bit more about the rivets as they add to the finish?

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Initially I used a Trumpeter riveting tool, which is a toothed wheel arrangement which you roll over the surface. I found it difficult to control as I couldn't see the 'cutting' edge - the handle got in the way. So I tried gently pressing micro saw blades into the surface. That's the ones which are made by the photo etch process and come in a variety of tooth spacings and shapes. Much better, though I still hope to get more accurate with practice.

Here's a link to a similar thing on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001HLYQDI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BMXXDOKOPWBT

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Hey Don, great to see you back around here again. I see you've not lost your touch whilst you've been away, gorgeous Lightning :)

Hello Woody,

I haven't been completely away from the hobby. I'd try a kit now and then but mess it up in one way or another. It was very frustrating. Eventually, earlier this year I began to finish a kit every few months. The first ones were a bit rough but I'm fairly pleased with progress so far. Pleased enough to go public anyway.

• Like 1

Hello, per ardua ad ostentationem - My full compliments to you on a beautifully built and finished build of your 92 Sqn.Lightning.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and she's a resplendent tribute to this iconic aircraft.Welcome back to the Forum! :clap:All the best,Paul.

5 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Sjperb

What he said...:D

One of the best schemes anywhere, and you've done this one very nicely indeed,

Sean

Don

thanks for the reference to that scribing tool.  I might try that out.

I first looked at the build on the phone screen but now I see it on the big PC screen its even more impressive.  very nice indeed Sir

15 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Don

thanks for the reference to that scribing tool.  I might try that out.

I first looked at the build on the phone screen but now I see it on the big PC screen its even more impressive.  very nice indeed Sir

Thanks John. 

Your question made me go back to the Trumpeter tool and try it with the silly safety guard removed. It works perfectly and the working edge is now clearly visible. I completed an F-84F fuselage half in double quick time. I still needed the saws for the fiddly bits though.