Soccer War...1/48 Goodyear FG-1D Corsario, Fuerza Aerea Salvadorena

#28/2016

Corsario numero uno terminado.

Tamiya kit with Aztec decals, Tamiya and Gunze paints, EZ Line for brake lines, plastic rod for antenna. According to fellow Hyperscaler/Britmodeller Marco, the wheel wells and landing gear were also painted in camo. Got that info to late so my dad kept them the way they were.
The model shows one of the five El Salvadorian Corsairs that took part in the 100 Hours War or Soccer War between El Salvador and Honduras from 14th to 18th July 1969, the last time Corsairs went into battle.

DSC_0002_zpsgywesww7.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsm6cxmmuf.jpg

DSC_0004_zpso8cqmry4.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsg8cz61xw.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsiktnmcnk.jpg

DSC_0007_zpskcftjmrf.jpg

DSC_0008_zps6a8isp8a.jpg

DSC_0009_zpscmahgdwg.jpg

DSC_0010_zpstbl6cebe.jpg

DSC_0011_zps6nymepxd.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsml3uy8i7.jpg

DSC_0013_zpspaij3yvx.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsdhhi3pkh.jpg

DSC_0015_zps1is9wl3h.jpg

DSC_0016_zpskujjuvwn.jpg

DSC_0017_zpszcfk7dy3.jpg

DSC_0019_zpst9op84mu.jpg

DSC_0020_zpstzfls2eb.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsncutxffg.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsswt7sqxh.jpg

• Like 40

8 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Wo-hah, that is a real stunner.

I never knew Corsairs flew with this camo pattern.

Looks mighty cool, Reini!

PS. I always thought "Soccer War" is when Germany plays Austria?

thanks!

guess we still have to live off Cordoba 1978 for a long time :D

• Like 1

Vvvvveeeeeerrrryyyyyyyy nice!!! A lovely FG-1D. I have this in my "to do" in 1/72.... I have a Tamiya, with resin flap set and the Aztec decals.... I just to finish my current Ouragan, a Canadair Sabre, a F-80, a AT-33 first! ;) 

Martin

24 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Vvvvveeeeeerrrryyyyyyyy nice!!! A lovely FG-1D. I have this in my "to do" in 1/72.... I have a Tamiya, with resin flap set and the Aztec decals.... I just to finish my current Ouragan, a Canadair Sabre, a F-80, a AT-33 first! ;) 

Martin

thanks!

Looks that you are as busy as my dad ;)

Did you work with Aztec decals before? If not, my dad tried out several setting/softening products and for him Gunze Mr Mark Setter and Softer worked best with Aztec decals.

Thanks Reini. I have used them before but I have had varied results :(. Sometimes I get cracking and, in an early Sabre set, they completely disintegrated!!! I use Microsol and Microset. Do those work okay on and under enamel? I use Humbrol enamels and varnishes. 

Did you use the colours as specified by Aztec? I ask because many times they are wrong. Yours look bang on!!!

Martin

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Reini. I have used them before but I have had varied results :(. Sometimes I get cracking and, in an early Sabre set, they completely disintegrated!!! I use Microsol and Microset. Do those work okay on and under enamel? I use Humbrol enamels and varnishes. 

Did you use the colours as specified by Aztec? I ask because many times they are wrong. Yours look bang on!!!

Martin

My dad also uses mostly Microsol and set but only on acrylic paints, no enamels, so I can´t tell.

No, diverted from the Aztec plan, chose the colours with "gut"feeling, used Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan with a drop of black, Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green, the brighter green was a selfmix (my dad can´t tell the exact ingredients anymore)

• Like 1

Great model Reini - the painting/weathering is really impressive. Has something very special the Corsair in this scheme - makes it look like another plane.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1