A Bevy of Bristols

I suppose the name is a give away but I do build other things too, such as my Contrail Sparrow in WIP.

My interest in all things Bristol stems from living near Filton, although not these days; I recall summer holidays listening to Concorde engines being tested. It was hard not to listen to be honest!

Anyway I thought it would be good to build up a collection of products from  Bristol and started browsing; its surprising how many kits there are! Here are the build ones to date, apologies if they look familiar!

Bristol M1C

IMG_4571_zps1vrmevrg.jpg

Bristol Tourer Seaplane (Airfix F2b)

IMG_3378_zpsv3gu9pg9.jpg

Sanger Bristol Bombay

IMG_2678_zps34ac73ed.jpg

Valom Bristol Buckmaster

IMG_0245_zps4ikenh5j.jpg

Magna Bristol Type 148

IMG_3418_zpsrty0gls4.jpg

Valom Bristol Buckingham

IMG_0237_zps4er0t0oy.jpg

Frog Beaufighter N1F

IMG_3519_zpsmvtfib17.jpg

Frog Blenheim 1

IMG_1849_zps9a1e5d3c.jpg

Still waiting in the stash;

Valom Brigand

Frog Beau 21

Matchbox Beau

HP Beaufreigher

Encore Beaufort

Bristol racer (vac)

Airfix Freighter

MAC Scout

Boxkite

Magna Type 146

Wanted! Bristol Type 142 Britain First and a T188

I can highly recommend exploring and building the products of one factory, it could be Avro, HP, Blackburn etc as I enjoy the research as much as the modelling and it allows you to explore the obscure as well as popular subjects.

Two Beauforts next I think..when the Sparrow finished.

For anyone that does not have English as their first language the following might help;

Bevy- a group of things or people that have something in common.

Bevvy- An alcoholic drink, example 'Fancy a bevvy?' = 'Would you like to go to the pub?'

• Like 27

Great collection BB. :)

You know I share your affection for the mark and I hope, one day, to match your collection AND build standards... one day.

• Like 1

I have to say my first reaction was "Bah, humbug!", but other colour schemes were available...

I love the seaplane and the 148 (you don't see many of 'em about!) but I particularly admire what you have done to the Frog Beaufighter to give that clunky kit some added finesse!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

A lovely collection. :) 

I went to Bristol University and at that time became very enthused with Bristol's aviation history. Your idea to model all Bristols like this is superb.

You really have done an amazing job with the Frog night fighter build.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

The model club I attend in Bristol - the Avon Scale Model Society - built a collection of Bristol types for a display we put on inside a hangar at Filton in 2004...

filton%202004_01.jpg

filton%202004_02.jpg

filton%202004_03.jpg

The Brabazon is a scratch-built wooden model by our late John Lewis - I have since built the Amodel kit of it.

filton%202004_04.jpg

The collection is currently in storage at the M-Shed (Bristol Industrial Museum) warehouse AFAIK.

Ken

• Like 4

Don't remember the last time I saw such a nice set of Bristols BB. The detailing on the Tourer is a superb touch - I could stare at that for hours!

Ken: That's a superb group portrait as well.

All good stuff!

Tony

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flankerman said:

The model club I attend in Bristol - the Avon Scale Model Society - built a collection of Bristol types for a display we put on inside a hangar at Filton in 2004...

filton%202004_01.jpg

filton%202004_02.jpg

filton%202004_03.jpg

The Brabazon is a scratch-built wooden model by our late John Lewis - I have since built the Amodel kit of it.

filton%202004_04.jpg

The collection is currently in storage at the M-Shed (Bristol Industrial Museum) warehouse AFAIK.

Ken

Thanks Ken for sharing those photos, I've seen some before and looked through them matching types to kits etc, there's a bi-plane with a civil reg at the rear bottom level in the second photo I don't recognise maybe it's a scratch build? Can't these be displayed in the new Bristol Aerospace Museum at Filton? Not hung from the ceiling though, in proper cases where people can see them.

Not a helicopter person myself but a belvedere may creep in soon.

Don't suppose you know anyone with a Britain First (Type 142) kit for disposal?

Very good collection of models, including some 'fun' kits. Your Frog Blenheim and Beaufighter are brilliant. The Valom kits are good as well, the Buckmaster has come up well, did you find the instructions ambiguous in places?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin T said:

Very good collection of models, including some 'fun' kits. Your Frog Blenheim and Beaufighter are brilliant. The Valom kits are good as well, the Buckmaster has come up well, did you find the instructions ambiguous in places?

Thanks Martin, yes they are difficult to follow as they use lots of common parts for the Brigand, Buckmaster and Buckingham and then add a few kit specific ones. I ended up with plenty of spare bits! All three kits use the Brigand wings which have the wrong vents for the Bucks, which require the two lozenge shaped ones I added.

1 hour ago, bristol boy said:

Thanks Martin, yes they are difficult to follow as they use lots of common parts for the Brigand, Buckmaster and Buckingham and then add a few kit specific ones. I ended up with plenty of spare bits! All three kits use the Brigand wings which have the wrong vents for the Bucks, which require the two lozenge shaped ones I added.

Yes that is what I found with my Buckmaster as well as some mis numbering of the different parts for the Buckmaster. Having said, most of the parts seem to fit well enough.

• Like 1