1/72 Brengun Yakolew Yak-1 (Series 2)

Hello,

this is Czech manufacturer Brengun's new-ish 1/72 Yakolew Yak-1, Series 2, 1942 production.

This kit is a little bit more expensive then your average short-run model - you'll find out why as soon as you open the box.

It contains a very nice photo etch fret with finely detailed parts for the interior, the landing gear covers as well as lower wing surface panels.

The box offers three decal options, all of them in the usual (and rather unspectacular) Green/Dark Grey scheme.

I used Gunze/Mr.Hobby acrylics for painting, choosing H303 for the Green and H331 for the darker colour.

According to the 'scale effect', I used H331 Dark Grey (with a drop of White added for the faded effect) instead of Black.

The fit is unproblematic, all the interior bits go into the fuselage without extra work.

You'll have to sand down the wing roots a little bit, to make the upper wings click into place without tension.

While the Yak-1 is a rather unspectacular aircraft, I'm quite happy that Brengun provide us with an up-to-date rendition.

All photographs by Wolfgang Rabel (IGM Cars & Bikes).

Cheers from Vienna!

a_DSC1042_zpsfmkxtp8k.jpg

a_DSC1043_zpshtqju5fb.jpg

a_DSC1044_zpseocfyr0a.jpg

a_DSC1045_zpsportv8st.jpg

a_DSC1048_zpseupashg3.jpg

a_DSC1049_zpsjdsizrdp.jpg

a_DSC1050_zpsnic96a7j.jpg

a_DSC1051_zpsjlxdsoes.jpg

a_DSC1053_zpsyti7dfxe.jpg

a_DSC1060_zpsz2m2sumy.jpg

a_DSC1061_zpsmdmc4yzx.jpg

a_DSC1063_zpsw2r50ocq.jpg

a_DSC1064_zps973saecp.jpg

a_DSC1070_zpsrz5hdywi.jpg

a_DSC1071_zps6mjkmed1.jpg

a_DSC1072_zps1efdorww.jpg

a_DSC1078_zpsbyrf6spj.jpg

a_DSC1079_zpswjusqj9p.jpg

a_DSC1080_zpscjktspy5.jpg

• Like 27

Thanks Roman

I was hoping someone would do a review on this one.  You were saying you thought the fit was OK, but from where I am looking it seems like you had a fight to get the upper part of the cowling to fit?  Rather like a DH Mosquito these early Soviet fighters are rather plain since being largely made of wood they have next to no panel lines.  Looking at your Yak I would guess the rear fuselage is fabric like the Hurricane?

Good job, thanks

Andrew

I was wondering how this model look in real life. I received it 2 weeks ago and your build is really motivation.

Beautifully finished. Weathering is great. I must admit that i am jealous on your skills  :) . This model have very complicated undercarriage and you done that very accurate.

All in one....bravo!

PS: Only one thing looks strange to me and that its not related to your skills, spinner have this strange edge? 

Best regards, Djordje 

Edited by djos

On 7.10.2016 at 7:00 PM, djos said:

Only one thing looks strange to me and that its not related to your skills, spinner have this strange edge? 

Best regards, Djordje 

Well spotted, Djorde - you caught me on this.

The spinner is in fact slightly oversized towards the back.

The problem is - sanding down doesn't work as it would alter the shape.

A look in my spares box didn't bring up any options, so I decided to use the kit part.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roman:

Congratulations for this Wonderful build with this little wonderful kit.

Seem that find her in this side  of thepond would be very difficult by anyway, if one crosses my path for sure I will go after her.

Cheers, 

Luis Alfonso