1/32 scale Tamiya Mosquito and Spitfire

shan

Hi all

after building 2 trumpeter kits, i decided to try out and treat myself to Tamiya. I bought the spitfire and the mosquito was a birthday gift, and since both pretty much have the same colours i thought of a dual build. also, i would really try to do a camouflage aircraft. never tried it before and i've been building pretty much single colour tone aircrafts so far, except for the harrier with minor camo on the top and bottom. so here goes.......

i am following closely with 2 builds currently on line on the mosquito, namely the Wolf build ( http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=58664) and the Peter's build (http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=63855&page=20 )  Both are superb examples for a step by step reference.

first up..... i could wait to try out the engines. so i skipped Tamiya's instruction and went straight to the engines.

unfortunately, i did not have any intentions of doing a WIP so , the build had advanced

i must say, everything came together very nicely on the Tamiya kit. everything fits. that is a welcome surprise to my previous builds

engines-surfacer_zpsrzdsowhs.jpg

started to put in some details for the pipe works

engines-details_zpsox9qahv5.jpg

finally, i think the engines are done

engines_zpsfuyazl4i.jpg

do anyone have good pictures and references to the Mosquito's firewall? dont seem to be able to find any on the net. Lots of pics on the spitfire , but not on the mosquito.

thanks

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, It's a disease said:

http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/gallery/

See image 6, also look at the 3d view of the museum interior, isn't great quality but it is a mosquito!

(Google DH98 firewall)

thanks, got a little sneak peak there. and also, the fire wall is in interior green, unlike the tamiya build where its supposed to be bare steel? interesting?

Edited by shan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, It's a disease said:

See the homepage from the museum website, the prototype they have shows bare metal firewalls too.

Thanks , the Firewall in the Engine compartment looks to be in interior green, rather than the Bare Steel quoted in the Tamiya Build reference? looked thru the net and it looks like only the restored ones are in bare steel. which would be more accurate during the war?

mosquito-firewall_zpsnbyvca6e.jpg

• Like 2

Honestly, I could not answer that with any degree of certainty!

Im sure somebody will offer an answer.......

Perhaps the ones undergoing restoration are yet to be painted?

23 minutes ago, It's a disease said:

Honestly, I could not answer that with any degree of certainty!

Im sure somebody will offer an answer.......

Perhaps the ones undergoing restoration are yet to be painted?

thanks, i appreciate your help. i will just scour the net for more pics and if majority shows interior green, then i will go for it

thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found some time to work on the models.

started out by adding some details to the engine gondola's

gondola%20details_zpstslwzqey.jpg

then went on to apply surfacer and some pre shading and artificial shadows

gondola%20preshade_zpstivkyn9n.jpg

nacelle%20int%20walls-preshading_zps7xyi

shcarge-preshade_zpstaqfjiyw.jpg

had the frames painted, i used Tamiya's sky and a mixture of green, but added some cockpit interior wash later on to darken the tone

gondola%20paint_zpslm0b74uo.jpg

proceeded to paint the metals

metals_zpsqt9etdg3.jpg

added some salt for weathering affects

shcarge-salted_zpseu57q7pn.jpg

i used common table salt with a mixture of Mc Donalds fine salt

salt_zps9maqa2xg.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

i've hit a snag.

dont seem to be able to get the frames fitting well. ended up with a huge gap.

engine-5_zpsosgkox89.jpg

after analyzing the problem, i think i've done something wrong and the paint is too thick, so ended up with some minor surgery

decided to remove the circular attachment part to the engine

supercharger%20mods_zpsnvry0c9b.jpg

that still didnt work, so ended up removing some detail for a better fit

cowling_zpsnklbn8ri.jpg

and finally, it fits

engine-done-1_zpsypvlm3rj.jpg

engine-done-2_zpsrpxmc7gh.jpg

now, off to work on the spitfire's engines. the spit has more details on the engines, so, gonna take some time there.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some work done on the spitfire engine and again ran into the same issue with the Mosquito engines. but well prepared this time. i found that enlarging the opening where the front of the engine meets the spinner backplate solves the issue and i got a perfect fit without needing to sand off some details like in the mosquito build.

spit-eng-1_zpsf4zi7so8.jpg

spit-eng-2_zpsoe4wvc0l.jpg

spit-eng-3_zps7ipqle47.jpg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work on those engines. Hopefully I can get my build up to this standard. Do you paint the pipework or leave it the colour of the wire?  I'm guessing paint but you never know.

all the best.

Johnny.

Greetings Johnny

all the wires are painted. i used lead wired ( soldering wires). the wires are primed with the Gunze Metal Primer. its a mix beween copper, brass and flat alumn.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

moving along with the build..... started with the Spitfires cockpit. the parts went on well with fits and all. i've added Eduard's photo etched interiors and they are simply gorgeous!!!

CHAIR_zpsuv1gzvry.jpg

COCKPIT-2_zpshq8sp5lk.jpg

COCKPIT-1_zpsjnjpelsq.jpg

Eduards, instrument panels....... fabulous!!

INS_zpsvfocf3yw.jpg

Added in some lead wires and it really complements the details in cramped spaces

front%20office%202_zpstagksjn2.jpg

front%20office_zps6pvmhb12.jpg

got to start working on the seat belts and then the 2 halfs can be glued in!!

• Like 7

Thank you Phil, Drift and Tom for the complements, cant say enough about Tamiya's excellent model kit. just a joy to build.

now to close up the fuselage.... and on to the mosquitos cockpit!!!

first up is the seatbelts......

spitcockpit_zps4ldlsivc.jpg

finally got to close up the fuselage

spit-fuselage_zpsjw9h5ge5.jpg

spit-fuselage3_zpsee7ef3wi.jpg

a bit of a scale comparison between the spitfire fuselage vs the mosquito's engine necelle, looks like the mosquito is going to be a huge model?

scale%20comparison_zpsw08kzeph.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Been, working on the Mosquito's cockpit, its a ton of work, compared to the Spitfire. lots and lots of details

c6_zpswoaek5od.jpg

c5_zpsbfuu3olf.jpg

c3_zpsfltf79ap.jpg

c2_zpsjgem5m7p.jpg

c-1_zpsovai1aii.jpg

i am off for my vacation for the long Chinese New Year Break here in Asia, so wishing all of you a Happy New Year and hope to be back on the saddle soon to finish up the rest of the cockpit area.

• Like 8