1/144 P-51D Mustang x 2 - Final photo update 15th Jan

nimrod54

Hi John,

I am actually really surprised at how good these little kits look!

Keep on having fun and do not make any spelling mistakes when you paint the pilot's name under the cockpit! The micro painting police are watching you!!!!

All my best wishes for 2017 to you and your family.

JR

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

It's nice to hear from you again, I hope that you are well and not too busy to squeeze a bit of modelling time in.

These Platz kits have some very finely engraved panel lines, though the cockpits are a little sparse - not really an issue in this scale if things are closed up. For some reason though, I decided that it might be fun to try and add some extra detail and open the canopy on one of the kits, but I think that I may have to break out the single-hair brush to paint on the pilots name. :winkgrin:

I hope that you had a good Christmas and return all our best wishes for 2017 to everyone there with you in Zim.

• Like 1

I didn't manage to make as much progress as I had hoped over the Christmas/New Year break, but have been able to do some work to these two little fellas over the past few days. They have both received their metal coats and Red Dog XII has had the red brushed on, I still have to find a suitable blue for Petie 2nd.

DSC01575_zpsiyrb7j6p.jpg

Red Dog XII was airbrushed with Aluminium from Vellejo's newish range of acrylic Metal Color paints over a gloss black primer from the same manufacturer.

DSC01572_zps624nvtm3.jpg

Whilst Petie 2nd has been brush painted with Mr Metal Color Aluminium

DSC01574_zpskdvx7rj1.jpg

I have also been working on some of the small parts, such as undercarriage legs and doors, props etc. With Mrs N returning to the classroom tomorrow I am hoping that I can get these wrapped up for the weekend.  

Thanks for dropping in.

• Like 3

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, exdraken said:

looking nice!

:)

19 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Progress is looking very good! Keep going!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks chaps,. Things are moving along nicely at the moment, Red Dog XII has had a couple of coats of clear gloss to protect the metal finish and give the matt  Insignia Red more of a gloss finish, I will leave this to dry before I start masking off for the OD on top of the nose. After checking through my paints for a blue on Petie 2nd, I found some Xtracolor FS15102 - the very shade suggested in the kit instructions. Two thin coats of this has been applied to the nose and spinner though it does look lighter than that illustrated, guess I can always say that it is the scale effect. :winkgrin:

I am hoping to be ready for decals on Thursday.

• Like 1

Just a couple of photos of progress so far. I hope to get the OD panel masked and painted on Red Dog XII's nose today, then complete the canopy painting and that should be ready for decals.

DSC01584_zpsn9dhvtox.jpg

I have buffed the paint to a nice shine on Petie 2nd using some cotton buds, this may need a gloss coat because I am not sure how Mr Metal Color will react with decal solutions. Can anyone out there offer some advice? 

DSC01585_zpsiu8lhppn.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/8/2016 at 1:09 PM, nimrod54 said:

Apologies for the late start, but since the Airliner III GB ended I have been trying to wrap up a couple of models that had been dragging on, including this build for a friend who owned one - finished over the weekend.

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

DSC01531_zpsncilzill.jpg

For heaven's sake, Don't start me on this one now! I started converting an Airfix Herald 1200 to a Vitesse - 40 years ago! Still got it - finished the rear tub and never got round to the twin headlamp bonnet. I used the side windows to cut new ones on my HP Herald Airliner GB just last year!
Great job there - can we see more pics? (are they in another non-aircraft section where we never look!?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alancmlaird said:

For heaven's sake, Don't start me on this one now! I started converting an Airfix Herald 1200 to a Vitesse - 40 years ago! Still got it - finished the rear tub and never got round to the twin headlamp bonnet. I used the side windows to cut new ones on my HP Herald Airliner GB just last year!
Great job there - can we see more pics? (are they in another non-aircraft section where we never look!?)

Thanks Alan, sorry if I have set you off along another pathway but the Vitesse sounds like a nice conversion, I hope that you pick up that baton at some point in the future. After I had removed the top, I scratched a basic interior starting with the door and rear cards, some handles, sun visors, mirror and a couple of stalks for steering column, but didn't do too much in the way of covering the rear wheel arches. The French Powder Blue paint came from the Triumph owners club.There are another couple of photos here in my Yearbook , it was the last completion for the year, and I have a few more on the camera which I managed to snatch before handing it over to the happy owner.

The next update should see these finished. I have almost completed the decaling and there are some final bits of painting such as prop tips and exhausts to do. The undercarriage has been fitted to Red Dog and I should get Petie 2nd to the same stage once the decals have dried on that model. This is how they look at the moment.

DSC01598_zpsonyty63n.jpg

DSC01597_zpswa10xdfp.jpg

DSC01594_zpsa5n7dq3w.jpg

DSC01603_zps7hf1vena.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, PlaStix said:

They are both looking great with the decals on! :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing the final update.

Kind regards,

Stix

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I can't believe these are 1/144, the metal finish on the blue nosed one is especially shiny - you can see reflections!

Cheers guys, I have decided to slow things down a little after a couple of slip ups. The first was easily fixed, I was adding the wheels to Petie 2nd and discovered that those on Red Dog XII had been incorrectly fitted, so off they came and they were reattached correctly.

The second could have been a very close call, I was looking for the rear canopy section for Petie 2nd, after checking the kit box and turning the work area upside down I found this mangled lump. Whilst this had proved to be indigestible to the carpet monster it was obviously susceptible to this modellers size 9 slippers, fortunately these kits come with a spare for each model and I have now recut a second canopy to provide another sliding section.

DSC01591_zps974tp7s7.jpg

• Like 1

For all intents and purposes these are finished, I would like to add some matt varnish to the props but I don't think I will get time. We have a very sick elderly relative who is in hospital at the moment and I am not sure what will happen later today. If I get a chance I'll try and complete them and post more photos in the gallery. but these may be the final shots for this build.

DSC01624_zps0e5t56rq.jpg

DSC01614_zps9basmdp9.jpg

DSC01610_zpsohep7gaa.jpg

DSC01611_zpswbj3wdlx.jpg

DSC01612_zps5j4btkuy.jpg

DSC01606_zpsx4iwx7j3.jpg

DSC01609_zpssfav8qol.jpg

DSC01608_zpsnqjxgyme.jpg

DSC01607_zpsbclfv7in.jpg

• Like 3

I have had some time to add the matt varnish to the props and here are some of the final photos that I was able to take earlier. There are a few more in the gallery.

DSC01638_zps0agoytxa.jpg

DSC01636_zpsy4kmhfu6.jpg

DSC01635_zpssk85l2xz.jpg

DSC01634_zpsodwwy0k4.jpg

Thanks to all who took the time to comment/encourage throughout these builds and to the hosts for setting up and overseeing things.

Until the next time. Cheers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

:D

very nice!  Somehow think that you are still trying to convince us that these  are 144.... never-ever! 😉

Good job I didn't include the photo with the giant steel rule then. :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...