AH-1G 1/72 "The Crystal Ship" AZ Model

stakor

Hi,

I am happy I was allowed to join you in Huey STGB!

I'd like to make this C/1/9 CAV bird in 1/72 using AZ Model kit

Crystal%20Ship.jpg

box_zpsojb0cak0.jpg

I though to make one from the boxart however it wouldn't be so easy as this one should have nose landing lights - and AZ model is not having such option (Special Hobby has!).

To make The Crystal Ship correctly I will have to change the SN as AZ Model decal has SN 15064 - it should be 15062. This Cobra was lost in Cambodia in 1971. https://www.vhpa.org/KIA/incident/71031210KIA.HTM

I started this model some time ago, finished the cockpit and it was just waiting for this STGB ! 

I use RES-IM 72008 PE

resim_pe72008_pe_1.jpg

And here is the cockpit.

02_zpsnb4lafrh.jpg

01_zpsxobr00y6.jpg

03_zpspy7a9j4s.jpg

Edited by stakor
  • Like 3

So the next step was the fuselage. I just wanted to test the paint I'd like to use. 

06_zpsazxlso1s.jpg

07_zpsll6yn4yz.jpg

08_zpsxdzfkywh.jpg

I promised to myself not to much scratch building but I had to make just a new one grenade launcher ;P Looks much better than one from the kit. I used syringe needles.

05_zpsrkeb2oel.jpg

Edited by stakor
  • Like 5

Great work there. Grenade launchers seem to be a weak point on these cobras, had to replace mine on my 32nd revell build.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
Fat fingers and small keyboards don't mix

Very nice work Stakor! I think these are great little kits! I see I am using the same etch set as you too..  I know where to come when I get stuck!

Loving your gun turret mod, have to admit I took the easy way out and ordered a RES-IM replacement last night whilst I was picking up a couple of other bits and pieces off Hannants. 

Thanks,

RES-IM made nice set. I used all PE parts to detail cockpit but I am not sure if I will use fuselage parts... It's true that both AZ model minigun and M129 needs correction and RES-IM makes really nice resin minigun. I was thinking of miniworld (http://modelsua.com/M134-Minigun-early-barrels-2-pieces-1-72-miniworld-7238a.html) but decided to use it making a more detailed SH cobra. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

let's finish that bird... not much time left.

I had no problems with this kit however a lot of work to fit the glazing to fuselage. I used spare gun pod from Special Hobby. I still have to paint the teeth on the turret and apply tail SN. And both rotors...

12_zpssjo6gtvc.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks,

I agree!!  It's 2nd sharkmouth I am doing now, I did a year ago special hobby AH-1G 15012 #1 Du Me Mi in 1/72 with red mouth so now it's time for black one ;) I love cobras so it's not the last word. Just received book about Iranian army aviation 'Desert Warriors' with lots of reference for their AH-1Js... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's time to finish the Crystal Ship. I am not satisfied with the light so I will try to make better pics for the gallery tomorrow.

Hope you like it :)

17_zps8fusop7i.jpg

20_zps6jg6krr0.jpg

18_zps382snkkv.jpg

And here with Special Hooby model that I made some time ago ;)

25_zpsj7hht16r.jpg

• Like 4