Mk.V Meng kit

Monty Python

Recently got my grubby mits on a Takom Mk.IV kit and was toying with the idea of doing a bit of internal detailing so as to have one of the doors open. Now I have found that Meng models do a Mk.V with a full interior. Being a newbie to AFV's, how do the Meng offerings rate? 

I have a couple of Mengs in the stash, but have not yet built any. From what I have read, they have already established a good reputation for themselves for the quality and generally good accuracy of their kits. And I've spoken to a few guys in the hobby who have sung their praises. So it's probably worth taking a punt on one, especially if you see one at a good price.

I'm build one currently, I might stick a WIP up once I've got something worth photographing...

there are a lot of parts, mainly due to the interior, so it's a slog to build, or value for money depending on your take on it! 

Keep and eye on creative models weekly discounts, I picked mine up when it was on offer, about 30% off from memory. 

I've built the Whippet and the Smerch missile launcher and can say they are well designed and detailed and, for what they are, quite well priced. I also have a French Renault tank and British Mk4 in stock and they both seem, in the box, excellent kits.

Dave

Hope you have fun with it.....You saved me £40!  :phew:

So far my 1/35 kits are all either WWII French or Objekt 279 (in approximately equal proportions), but the Meng WWI offerings have had me tempted for a while, they just look so good!  :thumbsup:

I have 14 Meng kits ranging from the first one they issued to one of the latest.  Early efforts were very good with a few errors and they have moved to almost perfect with just about everything covered.  They use Multi-Media to a great extent with the only thing missing being metal barrels.  There are some kits that use parts from previous kits that have been improved in the later kits, eg roadwheels on the Leopards.  They value feedback and use it to improve.

I have just started painting their Whippet and I loved putting it together.  I have the Mark V and this will be made this winter as I want to take some time on it.  I do have Aber's barrels for it.  There is an excellent build review on PMMS that highlights a couple of small things that are missing.  I can't wait to get started on this one.

I've made the Meng FT17 and A7V and both were very nice kits and relatively straightforward builds.

As regards the Mark V have you considered the Takom Mark V?  I've made one as a male and have another that I'm going to make as an hermaphrodite in Russian service. Although the Takom Mark V doesn't have an interior, not much would be visible even if the sponson doors are left open. 

Personally I'm happy with the Takoms having made a female Mark 1, both male and female Mark IVs, a Mark IV Tadpole and the Mark V. 

Have just recieved the Meng Mk.V. I have also recently bought the Takom Mk.IV Hermaphrodite of the same person. Not had chance to have a proper look at the Meng kit yet but the part count is really impressive for the cost, even at full price.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not heavily into WWI armour but was sold on this kit because of an absolutely epic build review that appeared on an Australian modelling website.  Melbourne Scale Modellers or similar?  I'm sure a quick check on Google would lead you to it.