P-51 down in Norfolk - passenger killed?

Potato Pete

That's a fair enough argument, I agree with you. I was/we were talking about that airframe flying again but  how much of what are they going to attach to whats left ? The point I'm making is it wont be that one and will be a big lump of brand new Fuselage. The other parts, Wings, Engine and other bits can be robbed from other 'frames or manufactured like they were in service . There is a percentage of aeroplane required to retain the airframe ID/Reg. Pretty sure its % of the serviceable Fuselage, the other bits come off and can be changed as a normal engineering job. I asked in an earlier post.. What is the percentage left required to keep the Reg? Thought someone would know. I take it  has a G reg. The bits are probably going to end up at Farnborough's Crash n Smash yard for the investigation ,not sure if any of it gets handed back. RAF C n S are very good and don't add any extra damage if they can help it as it could affect the investigation. The USAAF serial can be used again, its just part of the markings.

A Mustang might be built with donor parts from that one, other Mustang spares and manufactured parts, thats normal  replacement/repair task and built to spec. Still a Mustang, no argument here. 

Update on Maurice via Nik Colman

Maurice Hammond Update 6pm Wednesday.

The following information is based on advice from NNUH Medical Staff and approved by the Hammond Family.

We are pleased to report that Maurice is now in aftercare having undergone a surgical procedure today to strengthen and protect his spinal cord, neck upwards. This was a planned procedure by the staff at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital as part of the overall recovery programme for him.

We are informed by medical staff that the surgery, whilst complex, is a normal procedure in collision cases where the patient was wearing a helmet and has suffered neck tissue and ligament trauma.

It is important to note his spinal cord is wholly unaffected. His CT scans give no reason for concern.

The family are encouraged by the fact that his medical team considered Maurice strong enough to undergo this procedure, and they are of course indebted to all operating at NNUH.

Sedation was reduced at one point yesterday for assessment purposes and Maurice reacted positively, opened his eyes and demonstrated reflex reactions.

I am with members of the family and I can tell you that given the circumstances they remain strong and optimistic.

The family and the Hardwick team continue to express their condolances to all involved and hold them in their thoughts.

Next update tomorrow evening and will continue to update here.#hammondstrong

• Like 6

Indeed. It's the people that interest me most despite my strong interest in the aircraft. Without the people, these aircraft would no longer exist. It's also hard to find a bad word said against Mr Hammond, although he's a man I've never met personally.

Great news to hear and with out him there would be a few less Merlins around .

Guy

Todays update via Nik Coleman

Good evening everyone. Maurice Hammond update at 7pm.

Firstly I want to say we've been in touch with representatives of the passenger today and we've been able to pass on our thoughts and deep condolences to them, and they have expressed their concern and best wishes for Maurice and the Hammond Family.

Maurice had a comfortable night, and today has been moved to a different section of ITU in line with his recovery, freeing his previous room for more critical cases.

Obviously he is in 'double' recovery - from his injuries and the surgery, but today staff have once again moderated his sedation - for an extended period - and I am told he's been able to open his eyes as a reaction to some sensory input like touching his hand.

NNUH are offcially 'pleased with his progress'. The outstanding ITU team have also had the opportunity to wash his face as the visible effects of the incident and surgery reduce a little, and that's proven a real encouragement for the family.

From here on in we may reduce the frequency of these updates as we are likely to be reporting the same incremental progress, but rest assured we will keep you abreast of all major improvements in Maurices condition.

We want to thank all of you - each and every one for your support, including the media, photographers and journalists who have shown the utmost respect, restraint and desire for accuracy during this difficult time.

My thanks, Nik Coleman

• Like 5

Its very good to hear that Maurice Hammond is coming on so well and I most certainly hope that he continues to recover until he is fit and well. Its interesting to speculate about the future regarding 2 seat conversions of fighters, I was just reading about the 2 seat Hurricane that is going to be flying in a couple of years , all being well, possibly created because the rules on 2 seat conversions had been relaxed in the last few years by the CAA and so I wonder of these rules will now be altered?

I suspect that just about all warbirds are flown by very experienced pilots so a passenger is going to be in extremely good hands and is probably safer in the cockpit than during the drive to and from the airfield!

Regarding the restoration of the P-51, if you can restore a Spitfire using just the firewall as a basis then there will be no trouble with this airframe. Yes, the skin will probably be largely useless due to over stressing - but not everything, so its more a matter of how good the centre section is and then the  condition of the fuselage frames. Definitely fixable though although whether Maurice will have the heart to do it is another matter. Its also very nice to read about the attitude of the family of his passenger - they could have been very different about their loss but I'm sure they believe that Maurice would have done his best for him.

Blue Skies.

Having had the the exciting privilege to fly in Spitfire MJ627 I can tell you that at all times the attention to me and my co flyers that that day was extremely efficient and professional. At no time did I feel in any danger and was able with full refund before engine start to call  a halt to the flight. At all times I was under no duress and was doing this of my own choice  (also it was a present from my lovely wife ). This may sound like a product review, however the opportunity to tomake these flights has been a dream for many years.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Britman said:

Having had the the exciting privilege to fly in Spitfire MJ627 I can tell you that at all times the attention to me and my co flyers that that day was extremely efficient and professional. At no time did I feel in any danger and was able with full refund before engine start to call  a halt to the flight. At all times I was under no duress and was doing this of my own choice  (also it was a present from my lovely wife ). This may sound like a product review, however the opportunity to tomake these flights has been a dream for many years.  

Brilliant - let's hope these opportunities continue for as long as Spitfire's fly! (Other warbirds included also!)

Nik Coleman FB wall posts 12/10/16

Nik is currently in the States on business but is still in contact with the Hammond family.

I gather from Leah that Maurice Hammond has spoken a few words today, that's the best news I could hear ! Awesome. Nik

I am DELIGHTED to report that Maurice has begun to wake up and has said a few words to his family. The breakthrough we prayed for. Thank you all - still a long long road but lets be happy for this good news. Even here in Bermidji Minnesota, population 5000, the local aviation community are thinking of him

• Like 3

Good to hear Mungo thanks for the update.

Guy

Nik Colman's most recent update on Maurice.

17/10/2016

Hi everyone. Maurice Hammond update even though I'm far away so thanks to Emma Hammond for keeping us in the loop.

Maurice has made some significant progress. Most importantly he's speaking, talking with family and his memory is returning to normal as the drug and trauma effects fade. He's bravely taking very little pain medication.

He is of course, and he won't mind me saying this, still very beaten up as you'd expect from being in a major vehicle accident. We want to be clear that he's physically got a great deal of recovery to do, but the prospects now look pretty good.

He's working hard on breathing exercises and other rehab concurrent with his injuries. He's been able to sit in a chair for a little while and has been holding regular day to day conversation with his family.

We once again wish to extend our thoughts and prayers to the Marshall Family at this time and we are grateful and deeply moved by the concern and best wishes they have expressed for Maurice and his family.

We also want to say THANK YOU to all of you who continue to support everyone involved. We feel all your love and hope has helped Maurice pull through. I'm leaving the USA tomorrow where everyone we've met in the warbird industry has immediately asked - 'How's Maurice?...' or rather: 'Hows Moor-eece-ss'

Finally when I get to see him I'll show him the compilation of all your videos!

My personal love and thanks to Emma as above, Leah Young Diane Hammond Ian Hammond and the rest of the team.

• Like 1

Latest:

A big Maurice Hammond Update. Evening everyone. Gosh a number of things to tell you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly, as ever, we'd like to reach out to the family of Mr Marshall with our thoughts and prayers. A Marshall family member has been in direct contact with me, and we are all in awe of their dignity, compassion and concern for Maurice at a devastating time for them.

We must also pay tribute to the brave efforts of their party in assisting at the scene and playing an important part in rescuing Maurice. Thank you all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Maurice is in a room on a regular ward. He was due for another surgery today to relieve the burn to his back on which he's had a skin graft. He'll be recovering from that general anaesthetic for a couple of days.

We'd like to just clarify the very tiny speculation we've heard surrounding burns. No one really knows how the serious burn to his back occurred - but please be assured all his other superficial burns are healing well, and Maurice looks like Maurice, his face, hands legs and everything else are intact in terms of burns.

He has a bruised and battered left arm that will take time to heal, a mass of broken ribs, and other - forgive the phrase - to him 'minor' broken bones.

MH is in a bed, stepping out occasionally for a few painful steps with assistance as part of his rehab. He's been very bashed about, has special metalwork in his neck as previously briefed, has recovered from a near coma and has been laying on his back, in bed for 24 days being fed through a tube... so he's not exactly going to be running the London Marathon. As we've said... slow slow progress.

He's eating and drinking, being as cheerful as a very active person confined to a bed can be. He's aware of the outcome of the incident and obviously is working to come to terms with all the losses involved.

He's conversing and communicating normally despite his obvious pain and discomfort.

He's been keeping up with the F1 and MotoGP results, and has had a range of visitors over and above the family. Many hundreds of get well cards and wishes have been received both at the hospital and home.

He's aware that we've raised over $400 via Vimeo for the EAAA.

Tomorrow he will have his laptop with him, and I've sent a pair of our company headphones with it so the whole ward doesn't have to listen to Status Quo Live in Leeds.

He knows you're all rooting for him and along with the whole family is overwhelmed by all your support.

I'll try to very factually address some of the many many other questions we've been asked. I can't expand on these snippets, they are simply facts as we know them and I can't enter into discussion on this but perhaps they will help:

The aircraft did not suffer an overwhelming fire, post incident.

The AAIB investigation continues and it is my understanding that they have spoken to, or have arranged to speak to, all involved parties, as is normal in all similar cases. There's no indication when they will conclude their investigation.

The aircraft has been taken to an AAIB facility as is normal in all similar cases.

The aircraft, as is normal in all similar cases, is likely to be retained by the investigators for a substantial time, perhaps a year or so.

Marinell, as has been widely reported, was transferred to a new owner in Europe some months ago, and entirely coincidentally departed Hardwick permanently on the day of the incident.

First media contact following the incident was made by the Emergency Services via their normal media incident alert service.

The widely used images of the aircraft's final disposition were taken by an EDP staff photographer diverted to the scene from another assignment. His work was in no way intrusive or voyeristic, he was just doing his job.

The reason that all of the regional and national media ran essentially the same story is that we updated the Press Association immediately and kept updating them. No one was paid for this or profited from it.

My services to the family are provided as a friend, I'm not paid nor would I ever expect to be, nor do I receive any remuneration from any media.

EyeTech Engineering continues business as usual on all fronts, is busy and thriving.

Nik Coleman via Facebook

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Nik Coleman gave us a talk last night at Martlesham Heath.

His update on Maurice is he is up and about, and awaiting another operation on his neck, as the metal rods are causing him to walk 'head down' at present. We may never know what happened, as Maurice has no memory from the previous lunchtime.

Janie is still undergoing examination. She is repairable, the engine and port wing were torn off. Maurice intends to rebuild her.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...