1/48 Kinetic Mirage IIIRS Swiss AF **Completed**

Muzz

I received this kit a few weeks ago hot off the production line, think I was pretty much sold on the box art as I've never had a thought of building a Mirage III before this! Interestingly though I don't intend finishing the kit in any of the two special schemes that come in the box, I'm going for a standard grey/green camo pattern.

IMG_2710.jpg

Stunning decal sheet!

IMG_2715.jpg

I'm going for the standard scheme on the right.

IMG_2714.jpg

• Like 7

Starting with the wheel bays for a change! The nose wheel well parts painted and ready for construction.

20161002_134546.jpg

Main wheel bays.

20161002_150419.jpg

The intake trunking's had some ejector pin marks that need to be sanded away (after construction I doubt you would see them) and then sprayed AK Extreme Metal Aluminium.

20161002_134620.jpg

• Like 2

Re the wheel bays.... Jesus - just how do you guys paint the piping in them so cleanly? Ok, I see a little wobble, but in general the lines between the pipework and background colour is so clean... How? Just how?

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Re the wheel bays.... Jesus - just how do you guys paint the piping in them so cleanly? Ok, I see a little wobble, but in general the lines between the pipework and background colour is so clean... How? Just how?

I painted these first with AK's Extreme metal Aluminium, then used masking fluid to mask off the pipe work. The real aircraft have a yellowish coating on most of the nose gear bay and some parts of the main wheel bays which is the effect I was going for, was hoping for the metal colour to show through a bit more. I then picked out remaining grey areas with a brush. The small pipes don't stand out that much but were done with a brush similar to dry brushing but more precise.

Muzz

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments. Cockpit painted and fitted.

2e510c57-1db2-4749-b0cb-5bc58f8bb694.jpg

20161002_231539.jpg

It's quite a tight squeeze with the cockpit, nose gear bay and intake trunking fitted, the instructions would have you join the respective trunking sides to the inside of the fuselage half's before joining but I did't see that turning out that well!

20161002_230915.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

It's quite a tight squeeze with the cockpit, nose gear bay and intake trunking fitted, the instructions would have you join the respective trunking sides to the inside of the fuselage half's before joining but I did't see that turning out that well!

Ya lead, we follow, sir. :worthy:

• Like 1

Excellent job so far.

I think one of the key steps to avoid ending up with a trench at the wing-fuselage junction, is to NOT squeeze the fuselage halfs against the compressor channel. Not doing so will leave you some room to spread the fuselage halfs and end up with almost no filler required!

Another good idea I've seen online is to glue the upper wing parts to their respective fuselage half, and only then add the lower part...

Good luck,

Guillaume

• Like 2

Things have progressed quickly, the fuselage went together without any issues and only a small amount of tidying up was required with the top seam. Wing section also attached, had to remove some plastic from the bottom of the starboard fuselage where it inserts into the wing to get it to sit properly but only a small amount of Mr Surfacer required for a small gap.

20161005_153836.jpg

The parts breakdown of the kit is a bit complex in places due to the base kit being used for building various marks of the Mirage III, one such part is the panel in front of the nose wheel bay on the lower front fuselage, it required 4 clamps to hold it in the correct position for welding into place.

20161005_154233.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Been over 3 months since my last update so it's long overdue, here's where I'm up to....................

20170205_155150.jpg

20170205_155222.jpg

The nose was a but of a pain and still not very happy with it, may still need tidying up.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

so the nose is your only point of concern? that sounds much better than what others reported!

:)

Ive only just finished my IIIRD and its a bit of a challenge - having said that, in hindsight, its really all to do with the order of construction and taking care around those pesky air intakes.

Shes looking really good Muzz

• Like 2

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

looks good!

so the nose is your only point of concern? that sounds much better than what others reported!

:)

Yes, everything else is a tight squeeze but as Gary mentions above, if you take you're time it all fits where it should. To be fair the fit of the front canopy was pretty poor too but nothing a bit of sanding and Mr Surfacer couldn't sort out. Incidentally have you fitted the front canopy to you're Mig-25 yet? Fit is superb, wish all canopies were like it.

Muzz

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments folks. Another big leap forward with the camo on and gloss coat applied ready for decaling. The paints are Hobby Color H331 Dark Sea Grey, H330 Dark Green mixed with some olive drab and H332 Light Aircraft Grey for the underside.

20170207_220219.jpg 

20170207_221553.jpg

20170207_220146.jpg

• Like 7

On Sunday, February 05, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Muzz said:

Yes, everything else is a tight squeeze but as Gary mentions above, if you take you're time it all fits where it should. To be fair the fit of the front canopy was pretty poor too but nothing a bit of sanding and Mr Surfacer couldn't sort out. Incidentally have you fitted the front canopy to you're Mig-25 yet? Fit is superb, wish all canopies were like it.

Muzz

That is good to hear, as I have the one or other in the  stash! 

Concerning the MiG, no. Not freed the canopy from the sprue yet....but if fit is similar to the rest, no fear at all! One of the best fitting kits I have built so far!!

• Like 1

That's the decaying all done, nice and straight forward! A few bits of paintwork to clean up and some changes required to the fuselage and then it'll be a semi Matt coat of varnish. I noticed that the probe towards the top of the fin shouldn't be there and there is a insert that should go in the side of the starboard air intake which isn't shown on the instructions.

20170209_184226.jpg

• Like 6

That looks like a Swiss Mirage :). What happened on the nose looking at the picture it looks like you lost some paint there?

Common issue is that the decals for the airbrake are not the correct size, looking at your model it doesn't seem to a problem here.

Evert

34 minutes ago, Flyingdutchman said:

That looks like a Swiss Mirage :). What happened on the nose looking at the picture it looks like you lost some paint there?

Common issue is that the decals for the airbrake are not the correct size, looking at your model it doesn't seem to a problem here.

Evert

Hi Evert

That part of the nose is still to be sprayed Matt black, I'm waiting until the final semi Matt varnish coat is on, method in the madness!

The decals for the airbrakes were perfect, only decal that didn't really fit was the one for the top of the fin so I'm spraying the colours up there instead.

Murray

• Like 1

Some more progress.......................

Alclad Semi-Matt coat applied as well as the pitot tube and the black anti dazzle paint in front of the windscreen. A few other probes added and the light grey fin top painted, this is supplied as a decal with the kit but it was too big. The maskings also been removed from he canopy and camera units in the nose.

433010c4-8e4f-4e14-91c0-4c958e80e307.jpg

20170213_214109.jpg

20170213_220932_001.jpg

On with the undercarriage now and hopefully finished in the next couple of days.

• Like 4

Nice! 

Maybe, for the sake of accuracy you want to revisig those nose mounted pitot tubes/antennae! Some of the should be angled backwards quite prominently! 

Kinetic did not get them quite right unfortunately!

Very nice muzz  ,i like the tonal variations in the camo ,although as usual with mine too you seem to lose a little of it in the gloss and matt coats ,im thinking of overdoing it a little on my next camo paint aircraft to take that into account  ,stellar job 

Glynn

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice! 

Maybe, for the sake of accuracy you want to revisig those nose mounted pitot tubes/antennae! Some of the should be angled backwards quite prominently! 

Kinetic did not get them quite right unfortunately!

Thanks Werner, I'll just leave them as they are to keep the momentum going, my Mig-25 is attempting to get my attention and keeps calling on me to continue with it!

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Very nice muzz  ,i like the tonal variations in the camo ,although as usual with mine too you seem to lose a little of it in the gloss and matt coats ,im thinking of overdoing it a little on my next camo paint aircraft to take that into account  ,stellar job 

Glynn

Thanks Glynn, the weathering still there I think the clear coats just reflect the light making it hard to see in photos.

• Like 1