Reference Thread

trickyrich

Post your reference information here.

Please note if posting artwork or photos you must either be the copyright holder or have the copyright holder's permission to post.

• Julien pinned this topic

I took these pics of a flyable warbird in Chino, CA earlier this year for the express purpose of providing an example of the contrast between the aluminum lacquer finish on the wings and and the natural aluminum everywhere else. Hopefully, they'll be useful to others as well.

IMG_3109_zpsvrvz3hd0.jpg

IMG_3106_zpsqarajzlt.jpg

The wing panel lines have been filled and smoothed, except for the gun access panels.

IMG_3111_zpsotjxdet2.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Reference info on gear bay paint colors

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

P-51 close to the bottom. I naturally assumed gear bays were interior green till I read this on the above link:

"Similarly to other aircraft types, the camouflaged P-51 most probably had wheel wells painted in Neutral Grey. On later-production natural metal aircraft, the wheel wells were Interior Green."

Is this true? I see evidence of camouflaged Mustangs with both interior green and grey/silver wheelbays. 

My interest is mainly for my P-51B I'm building in this STGB painted in OD & invasion stripes over grey.

Cheers

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jimmy, some years ago i was searching for same thing and this is what i found - it is part of the orders saying what colours should be used for various areas of P-51D. 

Edit: Now i see you have asked about P-51B - on some WW2 colour shots of P-51B, like Shangri-la and others, you can see the inner side of the leg doors being left in the NMF (or maybe painted by silver laquer) and the wheel wells being in zinc chromate yellow colours.

Mustang_Ducimus01.jpg

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 1

Something i found literaly few minutes ago - http://migrate.legendsintheirowntime.com/LiTOT/P51/P51_Av_4507_Refinements.html

following the links you get some very nice photos and some kind of "manual", where you can find some nice info about many things from cockpit details, undercariage details, plumbing, inner construction and so on

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mmm i would like to but i dont think so - actualy i m in deep depression after i saw this : http://www.spitfireinmyworkshop.net/mustang.php

The guy is building Mustang in 1/5 scale and it is totaly the best work i have ever seen.. EVER! (you can browse various stages of the build on the links on the right side  of the page)
So you ll surely understand, i m never happy with my details and now i have to find way how to take up my jaw as it droped down so fast and does not want to get back up :) 

Edited by Wolwe82

I ( and I'm sure many others ) have total confidence in your abilities, so carry on please. You probably know this already but by the time of Korea the cockpit interiors of US aircraft had been overpainted with black, with interior green showing through in the scuffed areas.

Looking forward to more of your Mustang.

John 

• Like 1

Floors in B/C and D/K Mustangs were plywood, painted in a black non-slip finish. It would be similar to black paint with fine grit. Before that, in the Allison powered Mustangs, the floor of the cockpit was the roof of the wing, and would have been painted green. 

• Like 2

A question about the pilot's seat.

My Z-M kit came with these plastic seats:

Plastic%20Seats_zpsmndurwng.png

(One has molded seatbelts, the other does not). I see that there is no padding or upholstery on the lower part of the seat, but a cushion on the back.

I bought the Z-M etch set for the cockpit, and it has this (disregard the painting):

PE%20Seat_zpsg4ybequ7.png

There is no provision for any padding on the back (there are PE seatbelts).

So, the pilot sat on his parachute pack, right? Was there a cushion on the back?

Thanks.

I think the seat on second image is for P-51B/C, maybe some realy early P-51Ds, but very most of the D versions used different looking seat (the one which you have on 1st image). There was no cushion on the back during the war times (there is usualy some cushion in warbirds today) as there was usualy dinghy "packed" (srry for my english :) ) . The pilots were siting on their parachute i think, ye.

• 1 month later...