*FINISHED* 1/72 Hasegawa Macchi C.202 Folgore

I'd like to join the fun with this - Hasegawa's Macchi C.202 Folgore:

DSCN5464.jpg

Here are the sprues - not that many parts:

DSCN5465.jpg

You can see the gap where the propeller is meant to be - it had fallen off in the box and has been safely retrieved. I will be building the kit OOB so will not be making any attempt to fill the kit's gapingly empty undercarriage bays on the basis that the finished model will be on the shelf the right way up and 'what the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve over'. 

Here are the instructions and the transfers:

DSCN5468.jpg

... but I won't be using the kit transfers, partly because I fear the 'Amoeba' or 'Smoke Ring' camouflage pattern carried by both options included in the kit, and partly because I have the rather lovely Sky Models transfer set which provides markings for about three dozen different aircraft - here it is with the other aftermarket bits I will be using, the Eduard canopy mask set, and their new 'Steel' etched seat belt set:

DSCN5470.jpg

I'd like to build one of the aircraft from the 51 Stormo "Gatto Nero" ("Black Cat") based at Gela, Sicily, which took part in the Siege of Malta in 1942. This wears a scheme of Nocciola Chiaro 4 (Light Hazel Brown) with blotches of Verde Olivia Scuro 2 (Dark Olive Green) over Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1 (Light Grey Blue) undersides - I'll be using the Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats paints for these colours:

DSCN5479.jpg

I'll need to check if the Grigio Mimetico is a close enough match, or if Grigio Azzurro Chiaro is just another name for it - if not I might have to dig around in my paint storage complex to find a match*, or maybe just learn to exist in a state of denial... :D 

Cheers,

Stew

* Edit - having done a quick google it appears that Grigio Azzurro Chiaro is not the same colour as Grigio Mimetico and is noticeably lighter; I had a look through the first two floors of the Paints Wing of Castle Dapple and will be using a mis-labelled can of Colourcoats paint that Jamie gave me at the Perth Model Show earlier this year (the scribbled out label says 'US06 Early 1941 5-H Haze Grey'). I don't know what the correct name for this colour is but it looks right to me...

• Like 14

Hey stew, I have either missed your latest threads or you have been quiet of late, for you at least, after your little pilot dio (looked great that did), hope your well

looking forward to this one and hope you don't mind if I tag along?

Rob 

• Like 1

Nice choice, how could I not like it!! :D

Those Sky decals are really lovely, I do like the fact you get so many options, though with so many options it can be hard to choose a scheme.

Grigio Mimetico and Grigio Azzurro Chiaro are a wee bit different on tone, with the Mimetico being a bit darker and more blue in tone. If you can get the Azzurro Chiaro it would be better as the other may make the underside look a bit too dark.

If you get a chance have a look at this site, they're full of really helpful stuff.

Stormo Magazine

Look forward to following this build, plus I'm building a 205 from the same squadron when it was in Sardinia May 43.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Interesting subject - I'm in Stew :popcorn: 

Hi Ced, welcome mate, nice to have you along :D

20 hours ago, giemme said:

Italian Fighter? I'm in :winkgrin:  :popcorn: 

Ciao

... and such a beautiful one too; welcome Giorgio :D

19 hours ago, rob85 said:

Hey stew, I have either missed your latest threads or you have been quiet of late, for you at least, after your little pilot dio (looked great that did), hope your well

looking forward to this one and hope you don't mind if I tag along?

Rob 

Hey Rob, it's been six of one and half a dozen of the other... I've got a helicopter on the go in one of the other Group Builds and I just finished a couple of little Russian I-16s for the Great Patriotic War Group Build... but I've been pretty quiet; work has been insanely busy since the end of July and I haven't really had the energy to spend much time on the forum until a week or so ago... anyway glad you could make it mate :D

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Nice choice, how could I not like it!! :D

Those Sky decals are really lovely, I do like the fact you get so many options, though with so many options it can be hard to choose a scheme.

Grigio Mimetico and Grigio Azzurro Chiaro are a wee bit different on tone, with the Mimetico being a bit darker and more blue in tone. If you can get the Azzurro Chiaro it would be better as the other may make the underside look a bit too dark.

If you get a chance have a look at this site, they're full of really helpful stuff.

Stormo Magazine

Look forward to following this build, plus I'm building a 205 from the same squadron when it was in Sardinia May 43.

Hi Rich - thanks for that mate, funnily enough Stormo was the first place I went looking for information about the colour! Great minds - and perhaps little ones - clearly think alike :D I had a go with the Sovereign Haze Grey but it looked a little light for my liking, I darkened it a little and am happy with it now - here it is next to the Grigio Mimetico... funny because White Ensign Models had Grigio Azzurro Chiaro in the Colourcoats range but there's no corresponding colour in the Sovereign Colourcoats Regia Aeronautica Range, it goes from ACRA14 to ACRA16 missing out ACRA15 which was Grigio Azzurro Chiaro in the WEM range. I'd bug Jamie about it, but I think I'll go with what I've got.

DSCN5489.jpg

I had a bit of a picture malfunction - well if I am honest it was finger trouble; I had trouble pulling it out - so I neglected to photograph a couple of bits of construction that I meant to... so here is where it is now, with the fuselage halves joined, the cockpit interior painted and assembled and the Eduard seatbelts fitted - these are nicely detailed but I still managed to crack the pre-painted parts when bending them to shape:

DSCN5490.jpg

Fortunately a quick test-fit shows that it will be pretty hard to see into the cockpit once it is all together. I'm currently waiting on the kit instrument panel decal to be bullied into submission by the Mr Mark Decal Softer, then I can fit that and install the cockpit interior from underneath...

Cookie! Sorry mate, I missed you there when I was typing this up - welcome, nice to have you along sir :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Thanks Sean, glad you could join us :D It is a beautiful aeroplane, isn't it?

Thanks Mitch, same here... I haven't seen the Italeri kit in the flesh, as it were, but so far this one has built up with no problems - one instantly visible advantage over the Italeri kit is that the Hasegawa upper cowling cover is moulded as a separate piece and not as part of the two fuselage halves, so that's one less akward seam to fill and sand :D However I expect the Italeri transfers are better...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So what is wrong with the Italeri kit.....Guess who has one (& quite fancied their 205 too)?  :doh:

The fit on the Italeri kit is utterly miserable. It's got that sort of engineering where all the seams go wrong!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Joy!  :rolleyes:

I've built two, and to give you a clue, the WHIF I did where I dumped the Merlin engine from a Mk1 Spit onto the front end went together better than the OOB!

• Like 2

Grigio Azzurro Chiaro is supposedly around 36307 in FS terms, so if you have a tinlet of Humbrol 141 or Xtracolor X134 that might be helpful.  Mike Starmer mixed it from Humbrol 27 and 103.  Despite its name it appears to be a warm light grey rather than a light blue grey.  Grigio Mimetico is quoted as being around FS 36231, which would make it near Dark Gull Grey, the WWII USN Sea Search scheme upper surface colour and modern US cockpit colour.

Edited by JosephLalor

Thanks Mitch, looks like I got lucky there then, as the Hasegawa kit is going together quite nicely...

Thanks Joe, I don't have either of those colours and lacking the FS chips I'll have to rely on what I can guess from my monitor which is not a particularly reliable way of establishing a colour... but I think what I have mixed will do the trick, though it might be a fraction dark, I'll have to see what it looks like when applied.

I got the interior fitted, the tailplanes attached and the canopy masked and temporarily fitted - well, the windscreen is fixed, the rear part has a gap toward the back so the cockpit has been filled with a little bit of cut-off kitchen washing-up sponge to prevent the ingress of paint (hopefully) - this will be removed and the rear part of the canopy fixed in position once the paintwork has been done:

DSCN5493.jpg

The fit of the cowling cover was a little rough, the dark shadow at the join is Citadel Liquid Green Stuff which should disguise the gap. I also fitted the wings:

DSCN5498.jpg

I'm pleased with the progress, especially as I have the day off work tomorrow; I've got a whole bunch of stuff to do but hopefully will have time to do a little more of this...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Thanks gents :cheers:

Giorgio (N) - I recommend it to you, it has been a very pleasant and stress-free build so far :)

Cookie, Giorgio, thank you - I still have to tidy the seams along the wing leading and trailing edges but there really hasn't been much work to do on it, the fit has - largely - been exemplary :)

Ced - thanks mate, and apologies; the green stuff is on the rear of the cowling, I don't know if I would use it on a canopy, especially if the green colour might show through the clear parts... unless you could tint it with acrylic paint... :hmmm: That faint green colour visible through the clear part is the sponge I used to stop paint getting in through the gap at the back of the canopy (which I believe is meant to be there)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3