1/72 Tornado GR4

Julien

Yes, the Revell GR1 is probably the best place to start. Freightdog does a conversion set for the GR4, though it wasn't listed the last time I visited his site. I suspect it is a popular set and goes in and out of stock. 

Hasegawa does do a boxing for the GR4, but some don't like the kit very much. 

Edited by Kevin Callahan

• 2 months later...

Revell is probably still the best Tornado kit in 1/72, and the GR.1 would be the best place to start for a GR.4 conversion. If you can find the Frieghtdog resin set, you will just need to make the updates to the cockpit yourself and you should be well on your way.

Cheers,

Hoops

Hi Julien,

I converted the 1/72 Revell kit to a GR.4 using the Freight Dog set (here's the link if you're interested).

I modified the kit cockpit, but this Combat Decals has cockpit decals for a pre-TARDIS (did I say that right?) GR.4 if  you'd rather go that route (https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/COM72003)

Hope this helps!

Todd

Edited by TBP1538

Is it just me or is this another case of the resin making community being like,

"Let's make resin parts for this highly sought after variant of an extremely popular kit that is sure to sell great!"

"Nonsense Johnson, our priority is to fix millimetrical errors in obscure kits that only rivet-counters will care about"

I mean you'd think this being the UK and the Tornado being such a popular kit, and most of the kits sold being Revell, and Revell not bothering with a GR.1 (as they usually never bother with different variants), this has KA-CHING $$$ written all over it. Then again, I am not the owner of a resin company.

• Like 4

Sorry for the little OT, but any of you knows about shape and dimensions flaws of the Italeri 1/72 kit? I know that Revell is the best, bur i think that the italian offering is not too bad...

Regards,

Javier

Edited by Jacarre
misspelling

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:57 AM, Kevin Callahan said:

Yes, the Revell GR1 is probably the best place to start. Freightdog does a conversion set for the GR4, though it wasn't listed the last time I visited his site. I suspect it is a popular set and goes in and out of stock. 

Hasegawa does do a boxing for the GR4, but some don't like the kit very much. 

Apart from some weak panel lines on the rear fuselage sides, I found the Hasegawa kit not too bad, and with good shapes.

I built it for a friend a long time ago: Italian Desert Storm Tornado

Still, judging from Todd's build, the Revell kit is probably better. And cheaper.

Davide

No Tornado is perfect, the nose on the revell chin is too pointed but there is 2 companies making replacement. The Italeri kit is a good shape but not a shake and bake, the airfix kit is only good for the decals and GR4 parts while the Hasegawa kit is the good kit but the same one as released in the late 80's with the early model fin light and more critically the stubby nose that gives the aircraft a squashed look 

Buy the Revell GR1 kit as it has the large Hindenburgers and is an excellent kit ( just replace the nose for a better looking model) for a truely modern machine you'll want the Olimp set as this has a pair of bol rails, a recon pod, a Therma wing pod, a couple of laser guided, Brimstone plus the GR4 nose attachment

Cheers

Nigel

On 1/14/2017 at 5:55 PM, nigelshipp said:

No Tornado is perfect, the nose on the revell chin is too pointed but there is 2 companies making replacement. The Italeri kit is a good shape but not a shake and bake, the airfix kit is only good for the decals and GR4 parts while the Hasegawa kit is the good kit but the same one as released in the late 80's with the early model fin light and more critically the stubby nose that gives the aircraft a squashed look 

Buy the Revell GR1 kit as it has the large Hindenburgers and is an excellent kit ( just replace the nose for a better looking model) for a truely modern machine you'll want the Olimp set as this has a pair of bol rails, a recon pod, a Therma wing pod, a couple of laser guided, Brimstone plus the GR4 nose attachment

Cheers

Nigel

Actually, the 1/72 Italeri has a very characteristic "hump" behind the cockpit which really spoils the look. Rarely do you see this mentioned in reviews for some odd reason...

Being the same price as the Revell it's not worth the price in any way, although one of the Luftwaffe boxings has the submunition dispenser that was used in the 80s.

18 hours ago, Phantome said:

Actually, the 1/72 Italeri has a very characteristic "hump" behind the cockpit which really spoils the look. Rarely do you see this mentioned in reviews for some odd reason...

Being the same price as the Revell it's not worth the price in any way, although one of the Luftwaffe boxings has the submunition dispenser that was used in the 80s.

I'm thinking of picking up the latest Italeri reboxing to use the Gulf War decals on my RoG kits, and giving the kit itself to my eight year old.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
link added